Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    How does it devalue a degree? An EED student is unlikely to get a good degree pass and therefore wont be up against an AAA Bristol degree holder.
    if the proportion of people getting degrees increases, then a degree is less rare and thus worth less, so it devalues. I agree an EED student is unlikely to get a good pass because they are unlikely to get accepted at a university- due to the exorbitant numbers of students with AAA grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    But plenty of people that aren't eligible to do an academic degree are doing them. That's a reflection on the universities that their degrees aren't worthy of the name "degree".

Alee, what's so bad about the statement?
    Yes and how many of these people actually pass them? Its easy to get a 40% pass but this will not be worth the paper its written on, getting a 65% 2:1 however is a different matter.

Also in some cases there may be genuine reasons why one may not be able to get 4 A's at A2.

ReputationRep:
    But plenty of people that aren't eligible to do an academic degree are doing them. That's a reflection on the universities that their degrees aren't worthy of the name "degree".
    Presumably all this is simply your personal opinion, just presented as fact?

Not getting into this, I'm afraid, just pointing out some of the more glaring factual inaccuracies.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the argument is that A-Levels do not effectively test your suitability for a degree?
    No, that isn't the point - you were reffering to U and E Graders who go to university - That is nothing to do with the A-Levels, infact the a-levels tell you that he isn't suitable for uni - But it is the lower uni's that are offering them places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yes and how many of these people actually pass them? Its easy to get a 40% pass but this will not be worth the paper its written on, getting a 65% 2:1 however is a different matter.
    You'd have to throw the awarding university into that too, different universities have different levels of difficulty in their degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    if the proportion of people getting degrees increases, then a degree is less rare and thus worth less, so it devalues. I agree an EED student is unlikely to get a good pass because they are unlikely to get accepted at a university- due to the exorbitant numbers of students with AAA grades.
    But degrees are tiered for a good reason and we have university league tables for the same reason. To seperate. Lots of EED students get on to degree courses and it wouldn't bother me that they do if we had enough money to finance it all.

ReputationRep:
    Universities need to provide education for different areas of study, why is developing internet forums such as vBulliten less valid than say reading English?

We all watch TV (I assume) we all watch edited programmes, this involves a lot of background knowledge which cannot be learned on the job.
    Is it an academic thing? No, and degrees are supposed to be academic in nature.

ReputationRep:
    In realy terms very very few universities offer places for EED students. CCC is average even for the most average universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    No, that isn't the point - you were reffering to U and E Graders who go to university - That is nothing to do with the A-Levels, infact the a-levels tell you that he isn't suitable for uni - But it is the lower uni's that are offering them places.
    I was adressing riffraff's point that so many people are apparently capable of university study that "it is difficult to work out who should go and who should not based on A-level grades". I was challenging A-Levels as a useful indicator to test the suitablilty of someone to do a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Is it an academic thing? No, and degrees are supposed to be academic in nature.
    So programming somthing such as an operating system is not an academic thing to then?

Is this why computer releated subjects tend to require much more A level points than say Socialogy which is a traditional degree?

All course you have to set academic exams, how is having an exam on how the TV system works not academic for example? How is the study of TCP/IP and networking in great detail not academic? Have you even seen any of this stuff? Do you even have a clue how the internet works? I can assure you it dosn't involve using a mouse.

ReputationRep:
    In realy terms very very few universities offer places for EED students. CCC is average even for the most average universities.
    But you can do a degree whether it be a further education course or the university allowing you to study there if you haven't met your offer.

ReputationRep:
    I think skills like building and plumbing should be classed as academic and therefore be uni courses. Therefore everyone who wants to go should be able to.

ReputationRep:
    But degrees are tiered for a good reason and we have university league tables for the same reason. To seperate. Lots of EED students get on to degree courses and it wouldn't bother me that they do if we had enough money to finance it all.
    but do we have enough money? if less students went to uni, then the courses would be free, and would allow clever students who are unable to pay a chance of a decent education. I know that if your family has an income below a certain level, you get extra payments, but what if your familys income is above that level, yet they are unable to pay for you because they are financing a sibling?

ReputationRep:
    But you can do a degree whether it be a further education course or the university allowing you to study there if you haven't met your offer.
    Yeah but if you study say Golf Management at say a local FE college everybody knows its not going to have the same worth as ecomenics at LSE so I don't see what the problem is, they are hardly going to effect the best graduates. Also as for funding the worst universities get very little funding anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I was adressing riffraff's point that so many people are apparently capable of university study that "it is difficult to work out who should go and who should not based on A-level grades". I was challenging A-Levels as a useful indicator to test the suitablilty of someone to do a degree.
    Yes, I would say they are a very good indicator.

If you get above CCC in A-Levels, then i would say you are good enough to go to a reasonable, resepctable university.

What is more saddening is that people with U and E Grades (no names mentioned here, hehe) are encouraged to spend years trying to scrape into any uni that would dare make them an offer - universities should only be for those of a suitable academic ability. By this i mean those who get resepctable grades.

UUE (hehe) is not university material - If you can't do the A-Levels then surely how could one go on to do a degree.

ReputationRep:
    So programming somthing such as an operating system is not an academic thing to then?

Is this why computer releated subjects tend to require much more A level points than say Socialogy which is a traditional degree?

All course you have to set academic exams, how is having an exam on how the TV system works not academic for example? How is the study of TCP/IP and networking in great detail not academic? Have you even seen any of this stuff? Do you even have a clue how the internet works? I can assure you it dosn't involve using a mouse.
    Programming etc. is well respected, Juwel was referring to something else, not technical computer info etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I would say they are a very good indicator.

If you get above CCC in A-Levels, then i would say you are good enough to go to a reasonable, resepctable university.

What is more saddening is that people with U and E Grades (no names mentioned here, hehe) are encouraged to spend years trying to scrape into any uni that would dare make them an offer - universities should only be for those of a suitable academic ability. By this i mean those who get resepctable grades.

UUE (hehe) is not university material - If you can't do the A-Levels then surely how could one go on to do a degree.
    Yes I agreee with you entirely, I think they should make it harder to scrape passes at degee level then if the UUE's are so crap they will be chucked out. I doubt you would even get into TVU with a UUE though

ReputationRep:
    It's a vocational thing. It's a skill, not an education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    but do we have enough money? if less students went to uni, then the courses would be free, and would allow clever students who are unable to pay a chance of a decent education. I know that if your family has an income below a certain level, you get extra payments, but what if your familys income is above that level, yet they are unable to pay for you because they are financing a sibling?
    I think it's *******s saying we have enough money to finance clever students if we don't allow less intelligent students to go to university. It's very likely that these people aren't going to finish education and go straight into a job, a lot would like more training (which again costs money). Also where do you draw the line, CCC? I don't know the exact figures but I do know at least half studying A-Levels must get this and over.

And if people don't make the grades it is likely that some will carry on studying until they do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agreee with you entirely, I think they should make it harder to scrape passes at degee level then if the UUE's are so crap they will be chucked out. I doubt you would even get into TVU with a UUE though
    yes, mjg suffered that trauma last year!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.