Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well in the job I was referring to there weren't actually separate coders and designers - everyone did both - but there were definitely two distinct groups, those that found satisfaction in the design and those that found it in the coding. For me, design was easy or even trivial so I could get my teeth into the coding, doing fun things solving technical problems. Those that lack coding skills hide under the design banner a lot.

I know quite a few IT non-graduates actually. My boss was one. He definitely lacked technical knowledge but had leadership qualities which was what counted. Management skills are legal tender everywhere.

Anyway I also disagree that a comp sci degree is 'a lot of programming'. Only parts are, there's a lot of mathematically influenced stuff and more fluffy areas like software engineering and HCI. It covers a wealth of subject areas. Everyone, do computing its great
    Yeah well I am not actually doing computer science so I can avoid the maths bit, nor will I ever be developing operating systtems. I am much more at the user level, such as developing applications for ease of use etc.

I will probably do a masters in computer science though eventualy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah well I am not actually doing computer science so I can avoid the maths bit, nor will I ever be developing operating systtems. I am much more at the user level, such as developing applications for ease of use etc.

I will probably do a masters in computer science though eventualy.
    Nice, good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Nice, good luck with that.
    Thanks, its a long time of yet anyway, I Am only intending to it part tim once I have a proper job.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, its a long time of yet anyway, I Am only intending to it part tim once I have a proper job.
    Ohhh right, I see.

Where are you planning to do your Masters in Comp. Sci?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Ohhh right, I see.

Where are you planning to do your Masters in Comp. Sci?
    It depends on my grades but I want to get into the best university I can this time. I've been looking at Manchester but depending on my circumstances I may move out and go some where in a different area.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on my grades but I want to get into the best university I can this time. I've been looking at Manchester but depending on my circumstances I may move out and go some where in a different area.
    Ahh right.

What grade are you aiming for then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Ahh right.

What grade are you aiming for then?
    It depends, I still don't get my results for the pre-christmas assignments till mid march so I don't want to tempt fate. Lets just say if I don't get a 2:1 I will be a bit dispapointed.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.