The Student Room Group

Considering postgrad options and am lost

I recently completed an undergraduate degree (BA Politics with Criminology) at Glamorgan University (former Polytechnic). I'm looking into a masters but cannot consider it without it being fully funded and maybe supported with a scholarship. I'm not sure how feasible that is and where to look for details of options available. I got a first class honours btw, not sure if that helps. I'm also open to travel to any uni in the UK that'll have me. I'm interested in Journalism but anything that can open a decent career path for me I would consider. As above, I have no savings and do not want to take a private bank loan in the current job climate. I'm 37 btw. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thanks
Funded masters degrees are uncommon in the UK.

What do you want the masters for? PhD entry? Improve employment/income prospects?

Journalism is a dying industry with an already bad applicants:jobs ratio.
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Funded masters degrees are rare in the UK.

What do you want the masters for? PhD entry? Improve employment/income prospects?

Journalism is a dying industry with an already bad applicants:jobs ratio.

Minor correction for the social sciences.

DynamicSyngery has a good question.

Why do you want to do a postgraduate?
What's the difference between uncommon and rare? I can't tell if you're saying they're more or less common than you thought I was.
Reply 4
Well I've been offered a funded masters in planning at Cardiff uni and those who obtained a first as undergrad get considered for an additional five grand scholarship. The course is sponsored by the professional planning body and so that's why it's funded. I just wondered if there were many more courses like that.

The reason to go postgrad is probably not the best. I understand that my undergrad degree is not the best to venture into a decent career and would like to use the opportunity to choose a masters that is geared more towards a job at the end of it all; hence the planning course. There is also the current economic climate that means I've got two choices, likekly spend the next year on benefits as there are zero jobs around or improve my opportunities by doing the masters. As I said though, I'm looking for a career opening, so it would have to be something that did that.

I take your point about journalism and it was one of my concerns. I'm old enough now to realise that I might have to compromise on my idea of a dream job but I just want a proper career (spent the last fifteen years doing ****ty jobs).

Thanks for the quick replies and good advice. Anyone can add to that? Am feeling a bit lost after the last three years of being busy and enjoying every moment.

EDIT: I've also realised how much I enjoy research and writing so a masters that would lead to a phd, leading into a career as a lecturer would not be a bad thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DynamicSyngery
What's the difference between uncommon and rare? I can't tell if you're saying they're more or less common than you thought I was.

You made them sound easier to get than they are. That said its pop luck with the institution etc...
Reply 6
Most PhD programmes in the Humanities require a Masters qualification anyway, so it's great you've got the Masters at Cardiff. why don't you make a start on that and then see what AHRC awards are advertised round about January/ February next year. Your first class degree wil stand you in good stead, and if you do good work in the first term of the MA then you'll have good references. If you were able to think in a more focussed way in the first term it would be really helpful to start thinking out your research proposal, as it can be quite tricky to write a convincing one.
Reply 7
Original post by Politics Student
You made them sound easier to get than they are. That said its pop luck with the institution etc...

The phrase is "pot luck" :

The word pot-luck appears in 16th century England, in the work of Thomas Nashe, and was there used to mean "food provided for an unexpected or uninvited guest, the luck of the pot". The sense "communal meal, where guests bring their own food", appears to have originated in the late 19th century or early 20th century ,USA, particularly in the Western United States, either by influence from potlatch or possibly by extension of traditional sense of "luck of the pot".

To the Irish, a potluck was a meal with no particular menu. Everyone participating brought a dish for all to share. The term comes from a time when groups of Irish women would gather together and cook dinner. They only had one pot so they cooked the meal together with whatever ingredients they happened to have that day.

Seems very pedantic, but I both really like the idea and think that using these things wrong is a bit grating. For example referring to an unsuccessful endeavor as a 'damp squid' *shudder*
Reply 8
Thanks again guys. Homeagain, that's great advice. TY. I've spoken to a few of the lecturers on the course (it's part taught, part research due to the professional body's requirements), and they were quite encouraging about putting a twist on my undergrad dissertation in some way (it was about the media presentation of the London riots), so I've been thinking along those lines-there must be loads out there about planning with view to reducing crime/anti-social behaviour etc and a possible case study of the Broadwater Farm/Tottenham area that has seen numerous outbreaks of riots since the eighties. Something I could get my teeth into too.

Thank you anyway guys, some really helpful replies. I'm still unsure but at least I'm a bit better informed. Cheers
Original post by Norton1
The phrase is "pot luck" :

Seems very pedantic, but I both really like the idea and think that using these things wrong is a bit grating. For example referring to an unsuccessful endeavor as a 'damp squid' *shudder*

I know this might annoy you but I noticed the error after submitting and just could not be bothered to change it.

However, your post did give me a laugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending