Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right that's it: As many people answer as possible...reasons for choice would be appreciated.

Which university would you consider the best for economics out of UCL and Warwick? I can't decide who to put down as my firm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Right that's it: As many people answer as possible...reasons for choice would be appreciated.

Which university would you consider the best for economics out of UCL and Warwick? I can't decide who to put down as my firm...
    Very tough one:

My Choice: UCL

Reason:

1.London - great location
    (a) great social life...diversity of people in London is great. It depends what kind of person you are really, some people may prefer quieter lives with beautiful sceneries around college..etc
    (b) Capital City of England (and Europe imo). I know that you want to be an investment banker. Going into UCL gives you a great chance to be employed by one of the top banks in London....Lehman Brother..Goldman Sachs etc. Also, it takes time to adapt London when you come into London for jobes from Warwick.
    (c) If you have been to UCL, you know that the economics department is really excellent. Also, UCL is often ranked as no.1 in the economics table, above oxford and cambridge. Just look at the Times ranking.

There would be 0 doubt for me to go to UCL. It is so hard to get in, and now you have an offer dont waste it!

ReputationRep:
    UCL for the contacts you may make whilst studying and its potential links to the big city firms - if thats where you intend to go of course. also the nightlife will be so much better and i reckon you will gain a lot more independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Very tough one:

My Choice: UCL

Reason:

1.London - great location
    (a) great social life...diversity of people in London is great. It depends what kind of person you are really, some people may prefer quieter lives with beautiful sceneries around college..etc
    (b) Capital City of England (and Europe imo). I know that you want to be an investment banker. Going into UCL gives you a great chance to be employed by one of the top banks in London....Lehman Brother..Goldman Sachs etc. Also, it takes time to adapt London when you come into London for jobes from Warwick.
    (c) If you have been to UCL, you know that the economics department is really excellent. Also, UCL is often ranked as no.1 in the economics table, above oxford and cambridge. Just look at the Times ranking.

There would be 0 doubt for me to go to UCL. It is so hard to get in, and now you have an offer dont waste it!
    UCL. It's better than Warwick, but personally, I don't like London so I'd probably go for Warwick. But again, all of what was said above I agree with.

Go for it, dear, and don't let Cambridge &LSE rejections get to you. UCL is higher than both according to the Times. Yes, I've been following your posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azz)
    UCL for the contacts you may make whilst studying and its potential links to the big city firms - if thats where you intend to go of course. also the nightlife will be so much better and i reckon you will gain a lot more independence.

good point - internships - you will find big london investment banks trying to get students to do the internships. Being in London gives you great flexibility and advantages! By the way as you know UCL requirements is AAA and Warwick is AAB. I think this does mean that there is higher demand for UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Mysticmin:
    I've had to make a very similar decision to you, between UCL, Warwick and York for Economics. I'd say that the UCL and Warwick departments are pretty much equal, both have excellent results in teaching and research. UCL is likely to be slightly better known internationally by employers due to a more established history, but Warwick does have strong business links. You should also consider which environment you are more likely to enjoy living and working in, as the two are very different. If you want a city based university and can afford the additional expense of living in London, choose UCL. If you'd prefer campus based university, choose Warwick.

(I'm choosing Warwick)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I've had to make a very similar decision to you, between UCL, Warwick and York for Economics. I'd say that the UCL and Warwick departments are pretty much equal, both have excellent results in teaching and research. UCL is likely to be slightly better known internationally by employers due to a more established history, but Warwick does have strong business links. You should also consider which environment you are more likely to enjoy living and working in, as the two are very different. If you want a city based university and can afford the additional expense of living in London, choose UCL. If you'd prefer campus based university, choose Warwick.

(I'm choosing Warwick)

im also choosing similar universities...anyways for my insuarance should i apply for manchester -economics or manchester - economics and finance? which is more valuable do you think? I hope that i would not need to use this insurance in the end, but yea i want to become an investment banker too, and i am very interested in finance, but i know how much pure economics degree is valued. and the addition of finance, some people may find less valued than pure economics?

ReputationRep:
    im also choosing similar universities...anyways for my insuarance should i apply for manchester -economics or manchester - economics and finance? which is more valuable do you think? I hope that i would not need to use this insurance in the end, but yea i want to become an investment banker too, and i am very interested in finance, but i know how much pure economics degree is valued. and the addition of finance, some people may find less valued than pure economics?
    Umm, depends on if you enjoy the more traditionally academic subjects. I'm a sucker for them, which is why I applied for straight econ. For your insurance try York, it's economics department is good and it's typical offer is ABB.

If you do a pure economics degree, there are internal and outside options in finance, the course isn't all in economics and maths.

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of curiosity...

TheWolf and Mysticmin:

What GCSEs did you get and what extra-curricular activities do you have?

I want to assess the competition

Oh and, Cantonese or Mandarin bi-lingualness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Purely out of curiosity...

TheWolf and Mysticmin:

What GCSEs did you get and what extra-curricular activities do you have?

I want to assess the competition

Oh and, Cantonese or Mandarin bi-lingualness?
    Oh my, I'm not anywhere near as good as you deianra (have been reading your posts too)...I'm billingual in mandarin.

GCSEs: 2A*s (Maths, Biology) 8As.
    AS: AAAA (maths, physics, biology, economics).
    A2s: Predicted AAA (maths, physics, economics) dropped bio, picked up f. maths AS, predicted A.

Extra-curricular, my parents didn't give me much chance...money restrictions and all that lark. But manage to convince them to let me learn piano when I was 14 (grade 6...so not impressive).

Did DofE, play badminton, did Young Enterprise, school play, part time job, additional maths masterclasses at sussex uni, Junior and senior maths challenges, volunteered at oxfam bookshop.

Did egg racing sponsored by the IEE as well...bet that doesn't count though! Didn't put it down.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I'm not anywhere near as good as you deianra (have been reading your posts too)...I'm billingual in mandarin.

GCSEs: 2A*s (Maths, Biology) 8As.
    AS: AAAA (maths, physics, biology, economics).
    A2s: Predicted AAA (maths, physics, economics) dropped bio, picked up f. maths AS, predicted A.

Extra-curricular, my parents didn't give me much chance...money restrictions and all that lark. But manage to convince them to let me learn piano when I was 14 (grade 6...so not impressive).

Did DofE, play badminton, did Young Enterprise, school play, part time job, additional maths masterclasses at sussex uni, Junior and senior maths challenges, volunteered at oxfam bookshop.

Did egg racing sponsored by the IEE as well...bet that doesn't count though! Didn't put it down.
    Woah, Maths Masterclasses? And Grade 6 in three years? I couldn't do that, no way. The only reason I've been practising lately is because I want that Instrumental Award and I want to be a "bloody muso" It's amazing what the recommended one hour a day practice does. I've learnt 2 pages of a Grade 8 piece in two days (for me, that's worse so much more than any academical achievement I've come up with lately).

You should have put egg racing on the Cambridge form

Okay, enough rambling.

TheWolf, what do I have to bribe you with to make you reply? You don't have to, but it would really help me if you did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Woah, Maths Masterclasses? And Grade 6 in three years? I couldn't do that, no way. The only reason I've been practising lately is because I want that Instrumental Award and I want to be a "bloody muso" It's amazing what the recommended one hour a day practice does. I've learnt 2 pages of a Grade 8 piece in two days (for me, that's worse so much more than any academical achievement I've come up with lately).

You should have put egg racing on the Cambridge form

Okay, enough rambling.

TheWolf, what do I have to bribe you with to make you reply? You don't have to, but it would really help me if you did
    Tell me about practising! I practised loads when I started, in an effort to catch up, (nah 4 years, I'm in my last year at college). I'm sure wolf's credentials are on an old post somewhere if he refuses to reply...i swear I've read them.

What are you thinking of doing? E&M?

Grade 8 <floats off into a dream>, must be wonderful to be grade eight, then you can play all those complicated debussy pieces.

ReputationRep:
    good point - internships - you will find big london investment banks trying to get students to do the internships. Being in London gives you great flexibility and advantages! By the way as you know UCL requirements is AAA and Warwick is AAB. I think this does mean that there is higher demand for UCL.
    As I said in a previous thread, I wouldn't say that UCL making AAA offers necessarily indicates higher demand. Referring to the Times University Guide, the A-Level entry standards for Economics of 27.4 (just below AAB) are surprisingly low considering the reputation of the department. This suggests that UCL are reasonably lenient on applicants who do not achieve the required grades to meet their offer. Also, there is a guide available that compares the number of applicants per place at different universities. I remember the figure for Economics at UCL was not as high as I expected. We used to have a copy of the book in our school library. I'll try to find the name of it when I have the chance!

I doubt they'd be much difference in the ways those two degrees are perceived in terms of value. I would look at the structure of the courses and choose the degree with the modules you feel would suit you best. I'd agree with Mysticmin about considering York as an insurance, is just a shame the campus isn't anywhere near as pretty as the city itself. You could look Bath and Southampton too, as they both have strong Economics departments and should make offers of ABB-BBB. Having said that, I was rejected by Bath, which I'm still confused about.

ReputationRep:
    Rights, thanks guys. I've made up my mind to go to UCL (like london very much, friends going there etc), can't be bothered to take a gap year, and just now going to have to really work for a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Rights, thanks guys. I've made up my mind to go to UCL (like london very much, friends going there etc), can't be bothered to take a gap year, and just now going to have to really work for a 1st.
    good choice (claps)

ReputationRep:
    hey! i also got an offer from UCL and Warwick 4 economics... EVERONES told me that UCL is the place to go for eco, topping oxbridge who have the pulling power from their names! (sorry, got rejected from oxford so im bitter!) haha. Also got rejected from LSE... sounds like a few ppl are in the same boat... Are you guys international students? I live in spain... did igcse's n all that but im doing the IB now, not A levels... what were your offers from UCL??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    UCL - no doubts at all.

I'd say otherwise. UCL Economics is known as a faculty full of rejects from LSE Econ. That's probably the only thing it's famous for, other than being the most overrated university in the country alongside Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ct123)
    hey! i also got an offer from UCL and Warwick 4 economics... EVERONES told me that UCL is the place to go for eco, topping oxbridge who have the pulling power from their names! (sorry, got rejected from oxford so im bitter!) haha. Also got rejected from LSE... sounds like a few ppl are in the same boat... Are you guys international students? I live in spain... did igcse's n all that but im doing the IB now, not A levels... what were your offers from UCL??
    UCL certainly isn't 'the place to go' for economics. It's very good but nowhere even near as good as the LSE, nor Cambridge or Oxford either. After that, it's up there along with Warwick, Nottingham and the like.

warwick. everytime. its a lovely university whilst the people i know at ucl in general, including one for economics, generally dont like it. then again eight of them are medics so how much of ucl they really get to see is debatable.

warwick warwick warwick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    warwick. everytime. its a lovely university whilst the people i know at ucl in general, including one for economics, generally dont like it. then again eight of them are medics so how much of ucl they really get to see is debatable.

warwick warwick warwick!

if you are not sure about the teaching standard or the quality of university etc, im sure to go for ucl, as it is in the G5.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.