The Student Room Group

VoNC In The Secretary general

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ethereal
I'm going to post every day just to annoy you :biggrin:

I will remove your posts :colone:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
How is it thunder_chunky's fault if there's low levels of activity? It's solely the fault of UN members if they choose not to participate.

He hasn't encouraged it in any way though. Hyps? Nope we don't have them. Reforms? Nope. Regular updates and news articles? Nope. I know where I place the blame for all that.
Don't over-estimate the importance of the MUN to the mod team / acumen. It doesn't generate site footfall or revenue.

There more likely to work with someone doing something with a vision and with a conviction from a passion in it than someone that accepts them when they say no outright. We have a fighting chance with a new SG.
Reply 23
Original post by paddy__power
I will remove your posts :colone:

:upyours:
Original post by JPKC
This is dreadful and I'll be voting "no".

Morgsie: you are the worst sore loser there has ever been.

Toronto: you are disappointed that the Lib Dems now look even less likely to form a coalition with UKIP and the Tories and also think that the MUN's sole purpose should be the execution of your own grand schemes.

Misterxninja: you clearly are incredibly jealous of T_C; do you think of him as a rival or something? Either way this is down to the animousity between you both and does not at all relate to the way the MUN is organised by the Secretary General.

RoryS: Everything I've said about you before, multiplied by two.

This is pathetic and I urge all MUN folks to vote against this. It has far more to do with matters internal to the MHoC than anything else. T_C has, since I joined this site, been a damn good secretary general. The updates are coherent and concise - they compare favourably with the rambling ones EU Bloc members receive from the acting secretariat. More could be done to stir activity, but that is down to all of us involved here - the SC is a single person, and for his part he has facilitated the projects of other members. I'm sure he'd be willing to engineer more hypotheticals if people had an appetite for those.

I couldn't care less about future coalitions frankly. I care about the MUN. We have had better SGs JPKC. T_C hasn't done a great deal.

FYI, if you don't like how I do the updates, then say. I'm not a mind reader.
Reply 25
Original post by misterxninja
There more likely to work with someone doing something with a vision and with a conviction from a passion in it than someone that accepts them when they say no outright. We have a fighting chance with a new SG.

No, no they're not. They concentrate on what increases the site traffic and is best for TSR as a whole. They've only just started really in the last 18 months putting any real investment in PSHelp and that's a service that is externally recgonised and respected. Any idea that the mods will devote a lot of time and effort into doing anything in the MUN is misguided and wildly optimistic.
Reply 26
Original post by Moleman1996
I guess due to my ommission from your attacks you still love me? :wink:

Oh, sorry. And of course.

Moleman1996: is your arse sore from jumping on the bandwagon?
Original post by JPKC
This is dreadful and I'll be voting "no".

Morgsie: you are the worst sore loser there has ever been.

Toronto: you are disappointed that the Lib Dems now look even less likely to form a coalition with UKIP and the Tories and also think that the MUN's sole purpose should be the execution of your own grand schemes.

Misterxninja: you clearly are incredibly jealous of T_C; do you think of him as a rival or something? Either way this is down to the animousity between you both and does not at all relate to the way the MUN is organised by the Secretary General.

RoryS: Everything I've said about you before, multiplied by two.

This is pathetic and I urge all MUN folks to vote against this. It has far more to do with matters internal to the MHoC than anything else. T_C has, since I joined this site, been a damn good secretary general. The updates are coherent and concise - they compare favourably with the rambling ones EU Bloc members receive from the acting secretariat. More could be done to stir activity, but that is down to all of us involved here - the SC is a single person, and for his part he has facilitated the projects of other members. I'm sure he'd be willing to engineer more hypotheticals if people had an appetite for those.

the summit last night was made possible by RoryS, who was appointed by me in my capacity as AL President as chair, with it being an initiative created by the Arab League. T_C only turned up to once all the hard work had been done, despite not being on the list of attendees and then tried to assume the position of deputy chair. He had no part whatsoever in the process at all, other than a statement of thanks at the end.
Reply 28
Don't over-estimate the importance of the MUN to the mod team / acumen. It doesn't generate site footfall or revenue.

Lot's of people have lots of ideas to improve the MUN but the SG uses the same excuse: "The Mods are difficult" well maybe they are, but maybe if someone had some passion, conviction and belief in the role of SG the Mods would be compelled to cooperate and have faith in a new SG, with the leadership and vision a SG needs. TC I feel has done a good deal of work on administration here and is very good at that, but he just isn't leadership material he is a far better secretary and on occasion a fairly standard number two deputy, but he has not stepped up to the plate and opportunity the MUN presented, so for that I compel you to vote in favour of the VoNC.

We had a meeting with the admin and many things were discussed but having things implemented is not as black and white as yes or no. There are realistic constraints on all sides and, as Ethereal correctly points out, the MUN just isn't a priority.
I'm a bit surprised, but ok. I'll address these points.

1) Activity of the MUN

The Secretary General has so far failed to generate activity. Posts and updates are infrequent leading to sporadic bursts of activity rather than smooth and consistent levels of activity. The Secretary General promises reform and activity (through hyps), but these have failed to materialise. The few genuine reforms such as blocs and the recent summit have been as a result of other members and not the Secretary General

I try and send out updates as often as possible. Granted they could happen a lot more often and I do take on board that they should and it's something I've been trying to work up to at the moment. I am trying to do some reforms behind the scenes and work on various things to improve the MUN.
On the topic of hypes, I know that there has only been one and I put my hands up and admit that there should be more.

About activity, I believe I'm doing quite a bit. I mean my updates aren't that far apart. And at times when there have been a lot more threads open and running and I have been sending out updates once a week sometmes more it still hasn't generated activity. I don't think it can be put squarely at my feet to be honest.

On the topic of updates though I'm pretty sure I am the first SG in a while to send out updates more frequently, I don't think Peter (Student) did them quite as much.

2) Running the Lib Dems

The Secretary General has failed to dedicate time to running this forum. Given that he is now leading the Lib Dems, we can expect fewer updates and less activity from him. In a forum of already dangerously low activity, can we really afford for this to happen?

I have actually dedicated quite a lot of time to this forum in the past year. Posting news stories and dealing with admissions and updates. I truly believe I can balance both just fine.

3) Manner in debates

The Secretary General has become increasingly irritable towards many members of the forum. He attempted to take over the summit in particular and usurp the work of Rory.

We are not calling this VONC for personal reasons, but for the good of the MUN. We need a Secretary General who will develop the MUN and encourage activity. We have no confidence that the current Secretary General can and therefore have called this vote. We wish the Secretary General well in the future should this vote succeed, but we need a fresh vision and drive forward for the MUN which others may be suited to achieving.

On contary I disagree. I admit I have been frustrated with the lack of acitivty and the lack of effort by some people, especially by those people who should be more active (as in are in positions that should be more active) however if people behave and keep active I keep decorum. I would like the proposers to provide evidence of such things and consistently I might add.

Lastly I would like to say that I fail to believe that it is not personal for at least two of the seconders. misterxninja, and Morgsie clearly have an agenda because of events over in the Model House of Commons. They can deny it but I wouldn't believe it. Especially misterninja who has only just joined.

I don't take it personally and I will admit that this hasn't been an easy task, but I assure the GA I am doing my upmost and I will continue to do so and step it up.
I will also, for the record, be voting no.

This place wouldn't exist if it wasn't for T_C and while I understand people are frustrated I don't think it is fair to direct this at him as I truly don't think anyone else would have done much better if at all.

I completely disagree with your evaluation. T_C could do much more. More frequent updates for example. Why was it that I had to have a huge discussion with him yesterday just to persuade him to post more news stories?
I will also, for the record, be voting no.

This place wouldn't exist if it wasn't for T_C and while I understand people are frustrated I don't think it is fair to direct this at him as I truly don't think anyone else would have done much better if at all.

Student2806 did and had done. But your entitle to stick to the old vanguard of been on TSR for years, sometimes the cobwebs need a blow out.
Reply 32
:upyours:

:jumphug:
We had a meeting with the admin and many things were discussed but having things implemented is not as black and white as yes or no. There are realistic constraints on all sides and, as Ethereal correctly points out, the MUN just isn't a priority.

I will repeat in new wording: belief projects belief. He hath not belief will not be able to project belief, he has self-defeated himself when he goes into said meetings as he accepts the status quo and Mod position preparing himself for loss. That is not belief and without belief no things will change.
Reply 34
Original post by toronto353
I couldn't care less about future coalitions frankly. I care about the MUN. We have had better SGs JPKC. T_C hasn't done a great deal.

FYI, if you don't like how I do the updates, then say. I'm not a mind reader.

They're just too frequent really. I swear I receive them more often than HoC Updates (is this why RoryS has seconded? He is obsessed with updates...) Also, how does leading a party conflict with having a role in the MUN at all?
Reply 35
Original post by toronto353
I completely disagree with your evaluation. T_C could do much more. More frequent updates for example. Why was it that I had to have a huge discussion with him yesterday just to persuade him to post more news stories?

Student2806 did and had done. But your entitle to stick to the old vanguard of been on TSR for years, sometimes the cobwebs need a blow out.

We all have our opinions. :smile:
I'll be voting no because in my experience T_C was really helpful to me when I first joined, and the MUN PMs he sends out do a great job of reminding me to post and keeping me in the loop.
Reply 37
I will repeat in new wording: belief projects belief. He hath not belief will not be able to project belief, he has self-defeated himself when he goes into said meetings as he accepts the status quo and Mod position preparing himself for loss. That is not belief and without belief no things will change.

You can repeat it in as many words as you like, but the fact is TSR is a business asset and so resources and delivery will be directed at what will generate most return. The MUN won't.

I don't think you can criticise anyone for accepting the MUN is a niche and this treating it accordingly.
Reply 38

You were no there - you are being, as always, presumptuous.
Reply 39
Maybe part of the problem is that the members have pushed the MUN too far away from what it is meant to be? How, for example, can we seriously suggest the House of Commons AND the UK both have a role? Or that the EU should have a rep? Or the Commonwealth? Or that the SC should be larger than the real-life SC?

Model UNs are supposed to exist so you can reserach your chosen country and represent it properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending