The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
londongirl
Or do you think it simply shows what is really going on, not glorifying it?

Don't get me started on stupid rap. It is an acid eating away the foundation of society. It promotes pimps and crack dealers as role models... and I HATE how they wear their stupid hates to the side with bandanas under them.......... i hate rap and the whole culture of rap
Reply 2
I replied in the other thread.

Anyway, this is what I said.

These are the lyrics to a rap song by Nas:

"I Can"

[Kids]
I know I can (I know I can)
Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be)
If I work hard at it (If I work hard at it)
I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be)

[Nas]
Be, B-Boys and girls, listen up
You can be anything in the world, in God we trust
An architect, doctor, maybe an actress
But nothing comes easy it takes much practice
Like, I met a woman who's becoming a star
She was very beautiful, leaving people in awe
Singing songs, Lina Horn, but the younger version
Hung with the wrong person
got her strung on that
heroin sniffin up drugs all in her nose...
Coulda died, so young, now looks ugly and old
No fun cause now when she reaches for hugs people hold they breath
Cause she smells of corrosion and death
Watch the company you keep and the crowd you bring
Cause they came to do drugs and you came to sing
So if you gonna be the best, I'ma tell you how,
Put your hands in the air, and take a vow

Do you have a problem with these lyrics?
londongirl
do u mean it is a bad influence on youth - YES in some cases - depends really - gangsta rap is not my thing anymore although tupac shakur kicked ass in his day - but i like old skool basketball style rap - this was a truer representation of what the streets were about - jurassic six or something like that is great
Reply 4
londongirl

I wonder how many 15-year-old boys have "hoes in different area codes" or "smoke weed everyday".

Rap (of one kind) promotes a distorted way of life that few achieve - it's akin to showing extremely thin models.
Reply 5
how does it promote all that? explain yourself please.
Reply 6
Its not so much the rap but the people that THINK they are rappers and go around like thugs acting all tough and starting trouble
Reply 7
but do you think its the rap music that influences these people to go round acting like that? or not?
aaarrrggh
I replied in the other thread.

Anyway, this is what I said.

These are the lyrics to a rap song by Nas:

Do you have a problem with these lyrics?

You know that's not a fair example of the majority of rap lyrics.
Reply 9
" You can find me in the club,
bottle full of bub, look mami i got the X if you into taken drugs,
im in there having sex i aint into maken love"-50 cent.

Nice, a great attitude towards sex, relationships and women.

I dont think being a PIMP is something to be proud of, either.
Reply 10
londongirl
but do you think its the rap music that influences these people to go round acting like that? or not?

Of course, townies are stupid lowlifes that go around listening to gangster rap, they probably all have extendo sticks or knifes and rap in alley ways.When was the last time you saw like rockers do shit like this? rap makes them think they dont have to do anything because they will get rich over night just like 50 cent or jay-z... these rappers are criminals who should never have been allowed in the public spotlight
Reply 11
londongirl

Like I said, it's akin to having thin models plastered everywhere and saying it has no affect on the attitudes of women.
Reply 12
but it's not all rappers is it?

Run DMC never promoted stuff like 50 cent does.. and many rappers are incredibly ambitious - Eminem has his own record label - he's got somewhere in life.

Movies like ‘Boyz ‘N The Hood’ and ‘Menace II Society’ shows exactly how life in the hood is. All rap music is doing is also showing how inhumane life is in the ghettos.

Isn't it?
Reply 13
londongirl
All rap music is doing is also showing how inhumane life is in the ghettos.

Isn't it?

WHy are you asking the same questions when we've already said that it portrays an unreal image to vulnerable young people who are seeking peer approval?
Reply 14
MuniE
Of course, townies are stupid lowlifes that go around listening to gangster rap, they probably all have extendo sticks or knifes and rap in alley ways.When was the last time you saw like rockers do shit like this? rap makes them think they dont have to do anything because they will get rich over night just like 50 cent or jay-z... these rappers are criminals who should never have been allowed in the public spotlight

50 Cent was certainly a criminal:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/50cent1.html
Reply 15
aaarrrggh
50 Cent was certainly a criminal:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/50cent1.html

and look, he's promoting guns as fashionable/sexy as well.
Reply 16
blissy
WHy are you asking the same questions when we've already said that it portrays an unreal image to vulnerable young people who are seeking peer approval?

cos i'm talkin about the REAl rappers like NWA, 2pac and Biggie, not people like 50 cent.

these people don't portray an unreal image.
Reply 17
londongirl
cos i'm talkin about the REAl rappers like NWA, 2pac and Biggie, not people like 50 cent.

these people don't portray an unreal image.

But "the youth" are the teenagers of today who DO listen to 50 cent etc. The "youth" of yesteryear are late-twenties, early thirties.
Reply 18
londongirl
but it's not all rappers is it?

Run DMC never promoted stuff like 50 cent does.. and many rappers are incredibly ambitious - Eminem has his own record label - he's got somewhere in life.

Movies like ‘Boyz ‘N The Hood’ and ‘Menace II Society’ shows exactly how life in the hood is. All rap music is doing is also showing how inhumane life is in the ghettos.

Isn't it?

ITS GLAMORIZING THE GHETTO... its making it look cool to be a thug and a loser
Reply 19
For what it's worth, I've never really been into rap but I had a friend a while ago who was. He was the guy who made me listen to Nas when I said that rap gloryfied violence.

A lot of rap does just that, and it tends to be quite commercial because there's clearly a market for it. I'm sure my mate Alex would want me to point out that these people are not real rappers. So for his sake: The people who glorify guns and violence are not real rappers. Apparently.

Latest

Trending

Trending