Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think rap music influences the youth? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    For what it's worth, I've never really been into rap but I had a friend a while ago who was. He was the guy who made me listen to Nas when I said that rap gloryfied violence.

A lot of rap does just that, and it tends to be quite commercial because there's clearly a market for it. I'm sure my mate Alex would want me to point out that these people are not real rappers. So for his sake: The people who glorify guns and violence are not real rappers. Apparently.
    These people like NAS and TUPAC and BIGGIE may not have violent rap but look at their lifes. Tupac and Biggie were useless gangsters who got shot for being from a different coastline...... nas still acts like a f*cking townie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    townie??
    i used that word cuz the last rap thread we had all the uk people called these people townies and the people who started trouble on buses and stuff..
    Here we just call them thugs, wiggers ( if they are white trying to be rappers, chigga, and stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    Some rappers and hip-hopperers have really individual voices and are truely talented when it comes to musical composition. I disagree with the main of the lyrics and recent rappers who sounds like they've gone up to the mic with a hangover and drawled the whole thing. My brother was the "yoof" of yesteryear, but the rappers/hiphoperers he listened to were actually good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    i used that word cuz the last rap thread we had all the uk people called these people townies and the people who started trouble on buses and stuff..
    Here we just call them thugs, wiggers ( if they are white trying to be rappers, chigga, and stuff like that
    yeh but nas is good. listen to illmatic, his old album. it's deep.

ReputationRep:
    people like 50 cent is only telling his story - it's nto his fault that he ends up having 13 yr olds talking about him. he's said his message is for 18-35 year old males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    yeh but nas is good. listen to illmatic, his old album. it's deep.
    It's that the one with the song to his mother on it? Quite a tearjerker if it's the one I'm thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    people like 50 cent is only telling his story - it's nto his fault that he ends up having 13 yr olds talking about him. he's said his message is for 18-35 year old males.
    50 cent is talentless. He is Eminems whore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Some rappers and hip-hopperers have really individual voices and are truely talented when it comes to musical composition. I disagree with the main of the lyrics and recent rappers who sounds like they've gone up to the mic with a hangover and drawled the whole thing. My brother was the "yoof" of yesteryear, but the rappers/hiphoperers he listened to were actually good.

I totally agree. You have to understand where the lyrics come from, to appreciate them.

ReputationRep:
    50 cent is talentless. He is Eminems whore.
    not to mention a former pimp who thinks he is cool because he was shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    not to mention a former pimp who thinks he is cool because he was shot
    Did you hear about the doctor that did his surgery for free? He wants him to pay for it now that 50cent can afford it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Did you hear about the doctor that did his surgery for free? He wants him to pay for it now that 50cent can afford it...
    thats fine if you ask me, If i was a doctor i wouldnt operate on a pimp

ReputationRep:
    as I have said many times people should just stop listening to rap. Radio 3 should be made compulsory. Maybe peoplee would start to learn a bit about culture....

MB

ReputationRep:
    I read a news article somewhere recently about a guy who was arrested for playing rap music (I think in San Fransisco, but I'm not sure) really loud in his car. As his punishment, the judge forced him to listen to 2 hours worth of Vivaldi. What made me laugh was the statement the judge made along the lines of "You forced other people to listen to your taste in music. Now I'm going to force you to listen to mine."

Cool guy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It's that the one with the song to his mother on it? Quite a tearjerker if it's the one I'm thinking of.
    thats Dance on God's Son. yeah that is quite good.

but everyone is saying that people today only listen to 50 cent et al. i dont! i listen to lots from 'the yesteryear'. a lot of the time, hearing all the gangster **** isnt very interesting so i put on some tribe called quest/talib kweli.

ReputationRep:
    I cant beleive people actually thinks it ecourages youths to go around shooting people lol

if anything rap music is fun to listen to. they'll probably just go around saying funny new quotes from the rcords but thats just about it. maybe even learn alittle about the streets.

ReputationRep:
    Or do you think it simply shows what is really going on, not glorifying it?
    Well i listen to it, but not for the topics though, so its hard for me to say. I listen for the lyrical ability of the people who make that sort of music, and have been influenced by it in my writing.
    But i think that some of the stuff does happen, but it is exaggerated sometimes (and watered down others).

ReputationRep:
    i love rap music (exept eminem's) i have lots of freinds who listen to it and none of them have gone and formed gangs or done drugs.

its all propaganda, but rap music thrives on propaganda by the government and authorities thats wta makes it bad....

you wouldnt go out and buy a 50cent album if the queen and george bush bought it n liked it... or the label on the back said "A stunning peice of work" - Tony Blair PM

would ya????

ReputationRep:
    Or do you think it simply shows what is really going on, not glorifying it?
    I dont really like rap that much, but I dont think it has much to do with the development of society. Increasing crime rates and violence is due to other factors. Noone would rob a 7 - 11 because he listened to Eminem, the underlying factors which cause the violence in society also cause the violent themes in Rap music, not the opposite way around.

ReputationRep:
    well it seems as with many other things that rap music is not only all put under the same roof (nas for example is not about how many hoes you can lay) but is also given abad name by a certain crowd of obsessive people who really believe that people lead the kind of lives portrayed in the songs.. it is also unfortunate that a lot of the lyrics are masoginistic (spelling?), sexist and generally just extremely rude.. not really the way forward for a cultured society. i like the comment about making radio 3 compulsory.. radio 4 should be made compulsory (not just because of 'just a minute'.. but also because of the news). people should want to know about whats really going on in the world around us right now, rather than listen to materialistic crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OBLaden)
    i love rap music (exept eminem's) i have lots of freinds who listen to it and none of them have gone and formed gangs or done drugs.

its all propaganda, but rap music thrives on propaganda by the government and authorities thats wta makes it bad....

you wouldnt go out and buy a 50cent album if the queen and george bush bought it n liked it... or the label on the back said "A stunning peice of work" - Tony Blair PM

would ya????
    Ya and the next thing you are going to say is that OJ is innocent.....!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.