Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think rap music influences the youth? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    well it seems as with many other things that rap music is not only all put under the same roof (nas for example is not about how many hoes you can lay) but is also given abad name by a certain crowd of obsessive people who really believe that people lead the kind of lives portrayed in the songs.. it is also unfortunate that a lot of the lyrics are masoginistic (spelling?), sexist and generally just extremely rude.. not really the way forward for a cultured society. i like the comment about making radio 3 compulsory.. radio 4 should be made compulsory (not just because of 'just a minute'.. but also because of the news). people should want to know about whats really going on in the world around us right now, rather than listen to materialistic crap
    Who should decide what is materialistic crap and what is objective coverage? Surely people should be freee to chose for themselves what radio stations to listen too. Also remember that news broadcasts are far from objective. If you like you can compare the Norwegian media to the Israeli or the British. Who gets tod ecide which media is the good media?

A few examples of news from different countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk (UK)

http://www.haaretz.com (Israel)

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/ (Norway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    as I have said many times people should just stop listening to rap. Radio 3 should be made compulsory. Maybe peoplee would start to learn a bit about culture....

MB
    What makes what u listen to culture whilst the music being written today cultureless? Surely culture isnt objective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ITS GLAMORIZING THE GHETTO... its making it look cool to be a thug and a loser
    im not gonna get involvd cuz ill just get angry !
    it is not the rap artists or music that holds the gun or forces kids/adults to do stupid things its the kids/adults themselves. you dont see the rap star holding the arms of the person with the gun and making them do it ! *sigh* -point made- !!! and if you people actually listen to the full set of lyrics then youll realise that the majority are telling the dangers and warning people about what could happen! not all people who listen to rap and urban music are criminals or suicidal ! *grrr*

ReputationRep:
    OMG!!!! You are all like rap is so bad it makes people go around with guns and stuff. But have you ever thought about how rap can acually help people???? My friend was on the verge of suicide but she hung on just listening and getting lost in rap. Eventually she got help and her life is way better. You could say rap saved her life!!! Its only music!!! No body acually does stuff coz their favourite rap artist does. Only kids of around 10 would be that easily influenced and a 10 year old is NOT gonna become a thug!!!

ReputationRep:
    have all u people dissing rap acuaually ever listened to it properly????

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take the sissy pluralist/relativist answer to this one: rap, as with all forms of popular culture, is what you make of it, your own interpretation. If someone is in a mental state that they can be influenced by popular culture to commit a crime or act in a certain way, then I'm pretty sure that even if you took rap (or scary demon of your choice) away, then something else would come along and take it's place. Instead, it's probably easier to take the issue head on and deconstruct it logically.

It all depends on whether you think that violent media takes the needle model - that is, it is being injected straight in to the consumer, or if it is there simply because an audience demand it. I'm tempted toward the latter, because the former denies the ability of people to disagree. The media may be powerful, but there will always be a contingent of people who say "Well, actually, I disagree with that".

I also have to question how succesful rap would be if the people who produce it were 'invisible' - no media coverage etc. It would be interesting to see.

ReputationRep:
    You are missing my point and are not realizing the truth of the matter. But i don't really care any more have fun wearing do-rags and bandanas let me know when u get off welfare

ReputationRep:
    Same as my thread except shes taking the credit. Hate when thats happens.

ReputationRep:
    The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote for a local newspaper last year, it's vaugely related to this topic, and should express my views on the matter (of course, it was never published):

Crime figures are up and I blame women. It's the fault of those romantic novels that they insist on reading. You know, the ones where gardners in dungarees appear out of nowhere to prune their hedges and lick the sweat out of their navels. They portray a blatantly unrealistic view of life and fool women into thinking their friends are getting more than a once-yearly dry hump from their shambles of a husband. This leads to a build-up of tension, which erupts over Kilroy at about 10.00am, and ends on the streets on a bloody tragedy.

Of course, I could be wrong. I don't know anything about crime or Mills & Boon, but I don't see why that should stop me. Everyone else seems to be qualified to make sweeping statements about things they know absolutely nothing about, like the procession of no-name 'celebrities', royal dignitaries, headline-seeking MPs, outraged parents and hypocritical redtops that insist on putting the ills of the world at the door of the entertainment industry.

One of the main targets of this misdirected abuse seems to be the computer game industry. Let's start at the top. Prince Charles stated, "One of the great battles we face today is to persuade our children away from computer games towards what can only be described as worthwhile books." The fact that he was telling this to his prize-winning clerodendrum doesn't make me any happier that he's going to be king. But at least Prince Charles lives in the real world (mostly) - does anyone remember that fantastically surreal article in the Daily Mail that suggested that Microsoft Flight Simulator might be to blame for September 11th? The idiots.

Of course, the music industry has also recieved its fair share of complaints. The latest of these being the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, who actually made the most some sense by pointing out that the music business is making consumers of kids. Shame he didn't widen his net to bag Harry Potter as well - hell, to play safe we could just stick every book on a big bonfire and dance around the flames naked.

But enough is enough. Perhaps all of those nasty grown-ups should accept the fact that playing computer games / listening to any post-50s music / reading books with magic in them will not instantly cause us to wear long black trenchcoats and exact bloody revenge on our headmasters. That would just be silly. I think that it is time things were put in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Rap makes stupid people stupider and clever people cleverer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    Rap makes stupid people stupider and clever people cleverer.
    and you are....

ReputationRep:
    That's right, i'm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    That's right, i'm
    good good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    Or do you think it simply shows what is really going on, not glorifying it?
    its ****in **** mate and no body cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Don't get me started on stupid rap. It is an acid eating away the foundation of society. It promotes pimps and crack dealers as role models... and I HATE how they wear their stupid hates to the side with bandanas under them.......... i hate rap and the whole culture of rap
    :cool: Just reading this for a class project, but buddy... you just have problems. Rap is not showing us to do anything and sure has no effect on our young ones. Rap is just showing how life already is. And their "stupid hates"... what are you talking about? I love rap and the whole culture of rap too. I listen and listen and I'm no pimp. I don't rape women or look at young girls. I haven't stolen or killed anyone yet. And I have not been to jail, nor going to...thats a fact. Music is just music, it has no rule over me or my friends. It has no command over anybody, its just their dicesion to life that life. To say differently... ha! Thats just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5thavenue)
    its ****in **** mate and no body cares

****in **** right mate with that care of not caring from nobody right?

What arae you saying? Are you with it or not?

ReputationRep:
    rap.... is that the word for mumbling stupid rhyme's, while under the disillusion that you have talent?

ReputationRep:
    Does rap influence youth??? Not this one baby!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose rap music and culture, like all culture, has a dialectic relationship with people, they both affect each other. It's probably also true that lots of people are very unindependent and are very much affected by the imagery of rap. Still, to say that rap in itself influences people negatively is too much of a generalisation. Just because the subculture annoys you, you shouldn't make too far-reaching theories about the decline of morality (or something) because of it. To claim something like that, you'd need very good grounding for the opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    By properly do u mean dealing crack,while having sex and smoking a joint?
    ( I making fun of the rappers, not people who listen to it so no one get angry please )
    Oh. No one get mad. Oops.

Well Im pissed, not for what you said...well not all your words. Anyways...listen buddy, not all rap deals with drugs, guns, and sex.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.