Turn on thread page Beta

Which uni: general information thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen many many threads popping up with "which uni is better than which" topics (including my own), and i thought it might be a good idea to start a thread whereby people can post the pros and cons of the uni they go to/know something about, so that others can make up their minds.

It's quite likely this thread will fade into nothingness :rolleyes:, and I will almost certainly be laughed at for trying to start it, but it's worth a try!

Please include details about social/academic/economic aspects of your uni, and state what you study/intend to study etc. (feel free to elaborate on your course if you wish).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishcat)
    It's quite likely this thread will fade into nothingness :rolleyes:, and I will almost certainly be laughed at for trying to start it, but it's worth a try!

youve got this one right :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if this is a bit quick I am going out in a minute anyway:

Salford University:

Pros: Its a redbrick university with some very well respected 5* and 6* star depertments, lectureres are friendly, the campus is green as its set in Peel Park, it is also only 1.5 miles away from the city centre. The facilities are very good.

Manchester is on your door step, and its a great city for nightlife and shopping.

Salford graduates still have a good reputation within the job market, I recently got a part time job as web developer and being a Salford undergraduate really helped me to get it.

Salford is one of the only universities to run its own TV station broadcasting on terrerstial to almost all of Greater Manchester.

Cons: The union is a joke, some parts of Salford are rough (but the university area is fine), some courses have too low entry requirements and attract idiots, computing, sciences, langauges, media production, soliology are well respected, however courses such as Liesure Management are seen as a joke.

You need to get a 2:1 to stand out from the crowd but this probably applies to any university.

Its not as good as Manchester for most subjects, but for some of the science subjects it actualy ranks higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    youve got this one right :rolleyes:
    Cant blame a lad for trying

ReputationRep:
    Cant blame a lad for trying
    I think a thread like this was started a while ago and got a few replies.
    The trouple is most people on here are applicants.
    Have you looked at reviews on dooyoo.co.uk ?

ReputationRep:
    Is Salford red brick? I thought these were the only ones traditionally regarded as red brick.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brick_university

If not what others are redbrick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Is Salford red brick? I thought these were the only ones traditionally regarded as red brick.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brick_university

If not what others are redbrick.
    I am not sure, I thought the there was traditional (aka Oxbridge, Durham etc) and then Traditional (basicaly any university thats not an ex poly). I may have got the two the wrong way round though.

ReputationRep:
    Here are a few points about St. Andrews-
    It's a well thought of university with a low drop out rate and high teaching standards. It is a very friendly uni with an active student community. It has a particularly good reputation for psychology and modern languages (both of which I am going to do). It's probably got a good rep. for other courses too but I'm not sure which.
    The rent for the accommodation used to be quite low, but it's going up by about 14% next year(ggrrrr). It was going to be a 25% rise but it got staggered over several years bcos of student protests.
    It's a fairly isolated little town with not much shopping and no clubbing. The main clubbing is to be found in Dundee about 40 mins north or Edinburgh about 1hr south. However it has got a lively pub scene and has many societies-academic and non-academic. The town is very pretty with wonderful old buildings and nice surroundings. Even some nice beaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    Here are a few points about St. Andrews-
    It's a well thought of university with a low drop out rate and high teaching standards. It is a very friendly uni with an active student community. It has a particularly good reputation for psychology and modern languages (both of which I am going to do). It's probably got a good rep. for other courses too but I'm not sure which.
    The rent for the accommodation used to be quite low, but it's going up by about 14% next year(ggrrrr). It was going to be a 25% rise but it got staggered over several years bcos of student protests.
    It's a fairly isolated little town with not much shopping and no clubbing. The main clubbing is to be found in Dundee about 40 mins north or Edinburgh about 1hr south. However it has got a lively pub scene and has many societies-academic and non-academic. The town is very pretty with wonderful old buildings and nice surroundings. Even some nice beaches.
    from what i've heard its a really nice university, however the town did feature womewhere around no. 30 in the "book of crap towns"!

ReputationRep:
    If places like London,Birmingham etc. are the opposite of these 'crap' towns then it would suggest that the author likes places which are non-stop places with lots of shops and clubs, conveniently ignoring the hassle, pollution and partial ugliness of these places. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy places like that. I just think that most towns can be as crap or brilliant as you make them. You just have to take advantage of the best bits.
    I'm speaking rubbish cos I'm tired, but what I'm really saying is that St. Andrews is a good town if u've got the right attitude towards it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to add to the St Andrews vote 'cause I'm a student there and I love it.

Pros:
    Very good reputation for teaching and research. Definitely Sciences, Psychology, Theology are very highly regarded, and I'm sure lots more are too.
    Small uni so you get to know lots of people really quickly. It's a really small town but it takes an age to walk anywhere due to having to stop every two seconds to chat to someone else you know.
    Friendly and supportive staff who are really interested in making sure you get the best degree.
    Beautiful place - it is one of the prettiest towns I've ever been to, with cool architecture and ruins as well as some fantastic beaches
    Really cool traditions involving academic parents (third years adopt you when you're in first year and there's a weekend of fun culminating in a foam fight in the quad on a chilly november morning!)
    Amazing history
    Hundreds of societies to join
    A superb social life.

Cons:
    It's not exactly big-city life. There are no clubs as such and shopping is pap. If you want a city uni don't come to St Andrews. Having said that, Dundee and Edinburgh are not a million miles away, and there are loads of bars and the Union to keep you entertained.
    Yahs - an interesting breed of people who can only be described as those with lots of money and no manners. It can be disconcerting when you are not of the monied type (i.e. me) but you learn to ignore it, and they're definitely the minority. Generally speaking everyone is lovely, it's agreat opportunity to meet and make friends with loads of different people who you otherwise might never meet, be they from a different country or a different social class.
    Hall Accommodation - there's loads of different types and they're all lovely-ish. I'm lucky enough to be in one of the more sought after and central of the Halls and am enjoying every minute of it, but as mentioned earlier, prices are going up drastically and if next year is anything like this year it'll be a tight squeeze. I'm glad I got to go in hall this year with the prices as they are because I know that at next year's prices I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Anyway - this was quite long but if there's anything else anyone wants to know post below or PM me. I'd definitely recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    ^^^Thats more like it!! more of this please!^^^

btw: sorry about the crap towns thing, i only read it. I've never been. I'm sure its "lovely"...

ReputationRep:
    ^^^Thats more like it!! more of this please!^^^

btw: sorry about the crap towns thing, i only read it. I've never been. I'm sure its "lovely"...
    My town was in that crap towns book and the description was pretty inaccurate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    LSE

Pro: It's the LSE

Con: N\A
    Um. Thanks.
    Very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Um. Thanks.
    Very useful.
    lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Fishcat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's ok. I wasn't offended. :-) Anyway, everyone has different tastes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.