Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axekick)
    im going to uni in salford the area looked safe, you should come down to planet thanet if you want to see a genuine shithold.
    I'm at Salford too there have been one or two incidents but nothing worse than Fallowfield where a lot of Manchester students live. If you have common sense then you will be fine.

Saying things like "I hate scally northerner's" will get you into trouble its that kind of thing you need to watch.

Crime in Salford has been reduced by 63% in recent years and it really is a safe place now because of the huge amount of investment.

What you going to study by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Longsight is far worse than Mossie.
    Yeah its not a nice area at all, I try my best to avoid Longsight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah its not a nice area at all, I try my best to avoid Longsight.
    Which is the worse area in Manchester then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Which is the worse area in Manchester then?
    I only really know South Manchester which is probably the better part of the city. I would say the worst parts are towards the East Gorton, Openshaw, Beswick, Clayton which is the east of the city. Longsight is not nice eather but can't be as bad as Openshaw or Beswick. There are a lot of decent people in these areas but you also find a lot of genuine underclass in these parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'm not belittling the extent of the scalliness of estates that I've never been to, but I always find reputations are worse than reality. None of the north east estates are as bad as they're made out, nor other places I've been to like St Paul's in Bristol. I've never had any bother. I suppose there's trouble anywhere if you look for it.
    Chapel Town in Leeds, now that is just a death trap. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    What about Shipley in Bradford is that as bad as its made out to be?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas what could be done to improve some of the worst areas of the country or is it too late to rescue these areas of society from the position it is in.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody actually had any problems with this area? I have traveled through Moss Side probably about 8000 times now and I have not once witnessed any crime. Why is it people think its the roughest part of Manchester when its not? A lot of East Manchester is far more dangerous.

Moss Side is rough but only as rough as an average innercity area.
    Ive heard that it is rough, but Ive stopped listening to peoples opinions on things like that because people say that Nottm is rough, but it isnt that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Anyone got any ideas what could be done to improve some of the worst areas of the country or is it too late to rescue these areas of society from the position it is in.
    I am going to try and be tactful here in order not to cause offense (you would be amazed how many people get offended by this)

However the problem is junkiee mothers have kids, these kids are then likely to bought up on a rough easte, have kids at 14 to escpae their mother, get involved in drugs etc so its just a large cycle. In the rougher estates its quite common to have grandparents who are in their 30's.

The problem is once the cycle has started its very difficult to education these people about the better way of life. The government are trying with stuff like new deal but a lot of these people are not cabable of a days work.

ReputationRep:
    People in Oxford complain that Cowley Rd is bad. It's like heaven compared to...well...the whole of Preston, basically. I wish people would get their lives into perspective :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    People in Oxford complain that Cowley Rd is bad. It's like heaven compared to...well...the whole of Preston, basically. I wish people would get their lives into perspective :rolleyes:
    Preston is not that bad is it? Its a bit grey and industrial but I am sure its 10 times nicer than Stoke on Trent.

I did hear that Central Lancashire Plolysity has got the highest sucide rate in the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    Moss side has a rep because of gang activity in the area, It is also home of the alexandra park estate where two rival gangs are on opposite sides of a housing estate so shootings are common. Lot of yardies around the area too.
    As long as you dont go around the area mouthing off you probably wont see trouble cos the people living there cant be arsed with you, they have more important business.

ReputationRep:
    Moss Side sounds a bit like St. Pauls in Bristol. If you're white and ask a taxi-driver to take you there they refuse - even during the day.

ReputationRep:
    That never happens, I have been through Moss Side about 20,000 times now if not more, I go through it at least twice a day. Although I would not walk through Alandra Park at night, the area really is overated.

There are much rougher parts of Manchester, in Moss Side the few crinimals tend to be yardies who are drug barons, mugging and burgery is to low key for them, so they never bother you. Where as in some other parts (mentioning no names) little scallies are there to mug you.

It has to be said that I do some times feel like the only white person in the area if I have to get of the bus and go some where there.

ReputationRep:
    Wow alexander park heh, brings back memories. I remember there being a shooting whilst I was in moss side precint once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Wow alexander park heh, brings back memories. I remember there being a shooting whilst I was in moss side precint once.
    I think thats been pulled down now, but it must have been pretty scary.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats been pulled down now, but it must have been pretty scary.
    Yeah it was pulled down before I moved, and not really, too young to appreciate it properly. My dad was robbed at gunpoint a couple of times whilst out at the local shop, I'm not sure where the shop was, I think it was underneath "crescent flats", yes that rings a bell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yeah it was pulled down before I moved, and not really, too young to appreciate it properly. My dad was robbed at gunpoint a couple of times whilst out at the local shop, I'm not sure where the shop was, I think it was underneath "crescent flats", yes that rings a bell.
    Argh they have all gone now too thankgod, those crescents were really horrible and I never liked going through that part. Its all modern appartments and student accomdation now round there, I think the worst part of that area now is probably the Alaxandar Park estate.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody actually had any problems with this area? I have traveled through Moss Side probably about 8000 times now and I have not once witnessed any crime. Why is it people think its the roughest part of Manchester when its not? A lot of East Manchester is far more dangerous.

Moss Side is rough but only as rough as an average innercity area.
    I actually walked through Moss side once when i was on a bus from Picadilly that broke down half way....I'm still alive but it was a scary experience...i almost ran my way through Moss side..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    I actually walked through Moss side once when i was on a bus from Picadilly that broke down half way....I'm still alive but it was a scary experience...i almost ran my way through Moss side..
    Was that the 86? I get that bus daily. Its nothing like as scary as going through Briscoe Lane in Newton Health, I nearly got mugged down there once on the way to my mates house.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.