Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Was that the 86? I get that bus daily. Its nothing like as scary as going through Briscoe Lane in Newton Health, I nearly got mugged down there once on the way to my mates house.
    Hehe, have you walked through moss Side? I think it was an 86 no. i just jump on to any bus from college that goes through princess parkway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Hehe, have you walked through moss Side? I think it was an 86 no. i just jump on to any bus from college that goes through princess parkway
    Yeah I some times go the shopping centre where the ASDA is, its fine I've never really had any trouble, I got the wrong bus once and I had just bought a £200 turntbale, I had to walk about 600 yards through Moss Side near Lorreto with it, it was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Moss Side sounds a bit like St. Pauls in Bristol. If you're white and ask a taxi-driver to take you there they refuse - even during the day.
    Moss Side is about 200 times bigger than St. Pauls and alot less easy to avoid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Was that the 86? I get that bus daily. Its nothing like as scary as going through Briscoe Lane in Newton Health, I nearly got mugged down there once on the way to my mates house.

moss side is just the same as anywhere else in manchester. newton heath is deffinatly not ruff. it was probably just peeps startin on u showin off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Longsight is far worse than Mossie.
    yeah, I agree

ReputationRep:
    My Mum once went for a conference in Manc. She passed through there in a taxi and heard shooting. I was told not to apply for Uni up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Longsight is far worse than Mossie.
    I thought that Longsight was a rail depot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacie)
    moss side is just the same as anywhere else in manchester. newton heath is deffinatly not ruff. it was probably just peeps startin on u showin off
    sorry, but this thread is like 4 months old!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe...sorry, I know someone has already observed that this thread is several months old, but I couldn't resist commenting. My dad always says..."If you ever go to Leeds (which I am tomorrow, coincidently) never go to Chapeltown. If you pull up at a set of traffic lights, they'll have all four wheels off before the lights turn green." He also told me to steer clear of Moss Side in Manchester too...but as a prospective student there, I'm less convinced...he probably went there in the 70's or something. My friend goes there at the moment, and she lives in Rusholme/Longholme...something like that. I once visited Withington/Wittington (the nicer one). That seemed alright too. Still, we hardly have a right to comment...I live in Wolverhampton...Take your pick of the rough areas!

ReputationRep:
    none of you monkeys have obviously visited north belfast during the average summer. then you'll see the anus of the world.

the ardoyne for example : http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/175000...rdoyne_300.jpg

the mentality is summed up by this article : http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/nort...land01905.html

east manchester. lol. gimme a break

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squideye)
    Hehe...sorry, I know someone has already observed that this thread is several months old, but I couldn't resist commenting. My dad always says..."If you ever go to Leeds (which I am tomorrow, coincidently) never go to Chapeltown. If you pull up at a set of traffic lights, they'll have all four wheels off before the lights turn green." He also told me to steer clear of Moss Side in Manchester too...but as a prospective student there, I'm less convinced...he probably went there in the 70's or something. My friend goes there at the moment, and she lives in Rusholme/Longholme...something like that. I once visited Withington/Wittington (the nicer one). That seemed alright too. Still, we hardly have a right to comment...I live in Wolverhampton...Take your pick of the rough areas!
    :cool: I have relatives that live there... yes, it sucks. DO NOT go near! If your handbrake is a bit dodgy, Chapeltown is also not the place for you... its one big hill.

ReputationRep:
    lol.
    ps no offence to your relatives!
    Squid

ReputationRep:
    lol.
    ps no offence to your relatives!
    Squid
    Pfft... does it look like i care :cool: they're the silly ones who live in said dumpville hehehehehehehe By all means... take the mick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    My Mum once went for a conference in Manc. She passed through there in a taxi and heard shooting. I was told not to apply for Uni up there.
    Nice dug up thread...

One of my friends does competitive cycling, and he said that if he went to Manchester Velodrome and left a car there, he'd come back after the race and it would no longer be there.

Not tried and tested though. Just a theory.

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic (excuse my drunken state) that southerners can go to manchester and hear shooting. It is also ironic that I have been through Moss Side on the bus at least 5000 times probably more (at least 4 times a day for the last 4 years) and not once witnessed any trouble. I have been through Briscoe Lane in Newtown Health on the bus 20 times and twice witnessed trouble.

This why houses in Moss Side are now £100+ and in most of North Manchester they can't sell for £50k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Nice dug up thread...

One of my friends does competitive cycling, and he said that if he went to Manchester Velodrome and left a car there, he'd come back after the race and it would no longer be there.

Not tried and tested though. Just a theory.
    That is in Clayton probably the nastiest and roughest part of Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    I thought that Longsight was a rail depot.
    Longsight is an erea of South East Manchester, not one of the nicest parts but not quite the roughest part either. I would not like to live there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    none of you monkeys have obviously visited north belfast during the average summer. then you'll see the anus of the world.

the ardoyne for example : http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/175000...rdoyne_300.jpg

the mentality is summed up by this article : http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/nort...land01905.html

east manchester. lol. gimme a break

I remember watching a BBC drama based on that. I know how shallow and pathetic it must sound as the programme probably didn't even begin to come to terms with what the children of the two primary schools had to deal with in their everyday lives, but it made me think and pray for the situation to get better and hope that it got resolved for their sake. Some of the images were so graphic and terrifying, and to think that people have to live their lives suffering like this because of their religions, on our doorstep in the 21st century is devastating. I went to a CofE primary school, but we shared playing fields with and were right next to a Catholic school. I couldn't begin to imagine the sense of hostility and acts of violence induced if this wasn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching a BBC drama based on that. I know how shallow and pathetic it must sound as the programme probably didn't even begin to come to terms with what the children of the two primary schools had to deal with in their everyday lives, but it made me think and pray for the situation to get better and hope that it got resolved for their sake. Some of the images were so graphic and terrifying, and to think that people have to live their lives suffering like this because of their religions, on our doorstep in the 21st century is devastating. I went to a CofE primary school, but we shared playing fields with and were right next to a Catholic school. I couldn't begin to imagine the sense of hostility and acts of violence induced if this wasn't the case.
    unfortunately i understand it all too well. i live in a quiet, generally mixed but majority protestant area, that would be classed as upper-middle class. but ive been brought up to dislike/distance myself from catholics and all state schools here are generally secregated. there are loyalist estates and nationalist ones right on top of each other and its wide open hatred. as a result we still have this in belfast : http://www.ripkord.com/europe/images...ace%20wall.jpg

makes the berlin wall look like a mock up

think all the people in the rest of the UK have big hopes for this "peace process" but frankly, its a load of cack and will never work.

ReputationRep:
    Eeeek. I don't know what to say. I suppose the situation would have resolved itself by now if it was going to. It's not like you don't know your enemies, they're your neighbours. That's what makes the situation so horrific for me.
    How far away do you live from that wall? How often do you witness violence?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.