The Student Room Group

MEng or MSc civil engineering?

I can't decide which route to go whether to go with Meng or MSc . i am on Beng civil engineering 2nd year going to 3rd year but if i choose Meng then would be possible to leave just before finishing 3rd year ( like end of semester 1 ) and settle wiht BEng for rest of semester 2 .
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by nemoshish
if i choose Meng then would be possible to leave just before finishing 3rd year ( like end of semester 1 ) and settle wiht BEng for rest of semester 2 .

I don't understand. You mean you can start MEng courses in the semester 2 of year 3?
Reply 3
this September i start my final year and uni have given me choice to choose Meng or continue with Beng. but if i choose Meng then i would be in 3rd year Meng and final year would be next year.
let say if i want change my degree in middle of semester 1 of 3rd year for Meng to Beng , then continue to final 3rd year of beng. I only want to ask would i be able change my degree from Meng to Beng before graduating .
Reply 4
would be able to cancel Meng in middle of 3rd year and settle with beng ?
Reply 5
I'm not sure, but it should be rather uncommon to cancel the MEng in the middle of the year, unless you fail in some courses and the uni thinks you are not suitable to continue. The choice between BEng and MEng should be made now I guess.
I think it depends on your uni, perhaps you should ask your advisor or contact the department directly. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to cancel your MEng in the middle of the year?
would be able to cancel Meng in middle of 3rd year and settle with beng ?

I was enrolled on meng civil, then at the very end of the third year I chose to change the degree programme to graduate with beng in pursuit of the msc. I assume most unis operate oin a similar way..
Reply 7
I don't get your question, mate? Can you please explain?
Original post by kilojoule
If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to cancel your MEng in the middle of the year?

There are many reasons for this.

Personally I didn't like the idea of being committed to an undergraduate degree of a four year duration. It's like banking your degree classification at the first opportunity which is a wise thing to do.

I would say you are less likely to graduate with the highest classification after four years; for example, motivation becomes a problem, and there is more pressure not to mess up your final year. These are a few of the factors to consider.
Reply 9
Original post by usernonapplicable
There are many reasons for this.

Personally I didn't like the idea of being committed to an undergraduate degree of a four year duration. It's like banking your degree classification at the first opportunity which is a wise thing to do.

I would say you are less likely to graduate with the highest classification after four years; for example, motivation becomes a problem, and there is more pressure not to mess up your final year. These are a few of the factors to consider.

Sounds like a wise decision! I'm also thinking along the same lines, I'm considering whether I should leave with a BEng, since I really wanna get a masters in the States. If I stay behind for the MEng, I'm not sure if the schools in the States will accept me for a masters or force me to a PhD. But then with an MEng, there is the option of doing a year abroad...

I see you studied your MSc in UCL! I'm heading there in September :biggrin: Really excited!
Reply 10
is it worth to do meng which the course is not accreditation by institution ( according to uni website saying that "Accreditation is being sought from Institution of Civil Engineers" ) but i called Institution and they are saying that they have no record of Uni even submitting an application for the course to get approved. if uni saying they trying to get it so is it worth to take it .
Reply 11
is it worth to do meng which the course is not accreditation by institution ( according to uni website saying that "Accreditation is being sought from Institution of Civil Engineers" ) but i called Institution and they are saying that they have no record of Uni even submitting an application for the course to get approved. if uni saying they trying to get it so is it worth to take it .

I don't think it's worth it. Are you saying that your current uni's civil engineering course is not accredited? Accreditation is very important for your future career if you plan to work in industry, unless you want to go into research and academia.

If this is the reason why you plan to leave with a BEng, then why not do just that, and head to an accredited uni for an MSc? I think there should be some masters courses designed for students holding an unaccredited BEng :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending