The Student Room Group

Are there GCSE exams in January?

Hello I want to join the RAF, but in order to do so i need GCSE's in English and Maths. If i did the home study course, is it true i can sit the exams in January?

Any advise and help will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Racing_2012
Hello I want to join the RAF, but in order to do so i need GCSE's in English and Maths. If i did the home study course, is it true i can sit the exams in January?

I'm not too sure about maths, but I'm pretty sure that you can sit English in January :smile: I think you can sit linear maths in November :smile:
Reply 2

Not anymore. New candidates starting exams this year can only sit them in June. Only people doing the old spec can sit exams in January

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3

The exam timetable is here:
http://www.education.gov.uk/comptimetable/search.aspx

Depending on the examiner there are GCSE Maths exams in Nov, Jan, March and June 2013. You may be limited by which exams are actually offered by the school/college where you choose to sit your exams as a private candidate.

English may be more difficult since there are controlled assessments that have to be done in school/college in supervised conditions and unless you are on a course you may find it diffcult to get this part completed. You may need to delay your plans, join a part-time class and do your exams in the summer.

I'd advise trying to find a centre to accept you as a candidate asap so you know what syllabus to prepare for and what exam options you'd have.
Reply 4
Thank you for all of your advise :-) I think i will just go to college and do the part time course and then do my exams in the summer. Good things come to those who wait. Plus i have to pay if i rush it.

Thanks everyone :-)
Reply 5

I'm certain that the new Maths linear exams can be sat in January or June - at least for AQA's board anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest