The Student Room Group

Out of Character: State Visits to the MHoC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by spike_spiegel
What does each letter of the acronym MHoC stand for?:confused:
[edit]... house of commons... right

Model House of Commons. :smile: Do you want to volunteer for a state visit in the future?
Original post by rockrunride
Would it be interesting or pointless given my position? :p:

Someone fancies Tulisa....
Reply 22
When would it be possible for Uruguay to visit? I could do it this week sometime, if you like.
Reply 23
Original post by Cmmah
When would it be possible for Uruguay to visit? I could do it this week sometime, if you like.

Metrobeans, Thunder_chunky and I are working out final issues, but you will probably be our first state visitor.

Thunder_chunky

QFA

T_C can tell you how far we are through sorting it all out. :smile:
Original post by toronto353

T_C can tell you how far we are through sorting it all out. :smile:

Yep

Original post by Cmmah
QFA

We're just deciding on the final proceedure then we'll have to seek the Ok from metrobeans and then hopefully that'll be it. I'll PM him this evening to give him the lowdown.
All we need to do here is confirm the process each nation goes through when they visit.

Also we need to decide how to each country is chosen for each time a state visit is due.
Original post by paddy__power
Someone fancies Tulisa....

Ain't she pretty :blush:
Original post by rockrunride
Ain't she pretty :blush:

She's okay.

Nice boobies.
QFA

I've PM'ed Nick asking him to give this thread a look over. He won't be able to reply but he should be able to read it though. I've also asked him if there's anything else constitutionally we need to do in the MHoC.
Reply 28
Original post by thunder_chunky
I've PM'ed Nick asking him to give this thread a look over. He won't be able to reply but he should be able to read it though. I've also asked him if there's anything else constitutionally we need to do in the MHoC.

Thanks. He's told me that we don't need to do anything constitutionally, but that might have changed. :smile:
Thanks. He's told me that we don't need to do anything constitutionally, but that might have changed. :smile:

Ok it all looks good. Nick has replied and has asked me to PM him the opening speech by the guest nation. Before that though I just want to confirm with you and our first guest nation the schedule.

1) Opening introduction from the speaker
2) Opening speech from the guest nation
3) Q&A begins (lasting 48 hours maybe?)
4) Q&A Ends
5) Guest nation makes closing speech
6) Speaker makes closing speech if he wishes.

What do you think?

Also should we put a limit on the length of opening and closing speeches?

Original post by Cmmah
QFA
Reply 30
Ok it all looks good. Nick has replied and has asked me to PM him the opening speech by the guest nation. Before that though I just want to confirm with you and our first guest nation the schedule.

1) Opening introduction from the speaker
2) Opening speech from the guest nation
3) Q&A begins (lasting 48 hours maybe?)
4) Q&A Ends
5) Guest nation makes closing speech
6) Speaker makes closing speech if he wishes.

What do you think?

Also should we put a limit on the length of opening and closing speeches?

I like that and perhaps not. This also avoids politicising events by allowing the Speaker to make the two speeches on behalf of the House. Really all speeches should be PM'd to the Speaker before this event begins. What do you think? :smile:
I like that and perhaps not. This also avoids politicising events by allowing the Speaker to make the two speeches on behalf of the House. Really all speeches should be PM'd to the Speaker before this event begins. What do you think? :smile:

Well I think that the speaker is technically the host so he should probably make at least one speech. But yeah. Either the speeches can be PM'ed to me to PM to Nick or they can just be PM'ed straight to Nick.
He said they can be PM'ed soon and he'll get started on that.

Is there anything else you think should be added?
Reply 32
Well I think that the speaker is technically the host so he should probably make at least one speech. But yeah. Either the speeches can be PM'ed to me to PM to Nick or they can just be PM'ed straight to Nick.
He said they can be PM'ed soon and he'll get started on that.

Is there anything else you think should be added?

I think that you've covered everything so thank you for organising this. What are our next steps then?
I think that you've covered everything so thank you for organising this. What are our next steps then?

The next step is for the rep for the first visiting nation to write up a speech

Btw how will we choose in the future which nation visits. I'm thinking activity should play a pretty big part. I'm not going to pick a nation that is only on infrequently because it would look really bad if we picked them and they didn't end up posting in the MHoC.

Original post by Cmmah
QFA

Can you write a speech? It doesn't have to be that long to be honest. And when it's done could you PM it to Metrobeans please?

Thanks.
That is, if you are still interested in doing this.
Reply 34

Btw how will we choose in the future which nation visits. I'm thinking activity should play a pretty big part. I'm not going to pick a nation that is only on infrequently because it would look really bad if we picked them and they didn't end up posting in the MHoC.

Can you write a speech? It doesn't have to be that long to be honest. And when it's done could you PM it to Metrobeans please?

Thanks.

I would say by the criteria that I laid out earlier in this thread:

Highest priority: non-MHoC members
Middle priority: MHoC members who are members of parties and don't get involving in the House
Lowest priority: MHoC MPs.

Then look at activity after that. If there are only inactive reps for one priority, then move on to the next one.
Reply 35

Thanks.

No problem. I should have it written by Sunday evening. :biggrin:
What day is the visit on, or has anything been decided?
Original post by Cmmah
No problem. I should have it written by Sunday evening. :biggrin:
What day is the visit on, or has anything been decided?

Well as far as I can tell it'll be over a few days. The first day will be the intro speech then 48 hours or so of Q&A. So questions from the MHoC towards you. Is that ok?

Then on the third or fourth day it'll close with your closing speech (something else you might want to start planning now.)

Is that ok?
Reply 37
Well as far as I can tell it'll be over a few days. The first day will be the intro speech then 48 hours or so of Q&A. So questions from the MHoC towards you. Is that ok?

Then on the third or fourth day it'll close with your closing speech (something else you might want to start planning now.)

Is that ok?

Yes, that's fine. I'll need to check if there's any days next week when I could be on TSR for an hour or so, for the Q&A.
In the closing speech, should I just thank everyone, summarise my points etc, or is there anything else I should include?
Original post by Cmmah
Yes, that's fine. I'll need to check if there's any days next week when I could be on TSR for an hour or so, for the Q&A.
In the closing speech, should I just thank everyone, summarise my points etc, or is there anything else I should include?

I think it would be summarising your points and basically concluding what your country may have learnt from this. Remember it's more from your countries point of view rather than yours.
So what your country may have learnt and what your country of choice hopes to achieve and so on and so forth.
Reply 39
I'm in favour of this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending