Can I post anything as long as it fits in a postbox?

Watch
sammy-lou
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I feel really stupid asking this, but don't want to risk doing it wrong!

I just want to return a top to an online store - do I have to send it through the post office? It's so small folded up that it fits in an envelope and it obviously isn't heavy, so can I just attach a normal stamp and it will arrive alright?

Thanks
funsongfactory
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No you'll need more than one stamp, probs best to go to the post office to see how many, you need 2 just for a thick letter so no way you'll be able to just use one
username306617
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sammy-lou)
I feel really stupid asking this, but don't want to risk doing it wrong!

I just want to return a top to an online store - do I have to send it through the post office? It's so small folded up that it fits in an envelope and it obviously isn't heavy, so can I just attach a normal stamp and it will arrive alright?

Thanks
Is their not a returns label on the invoice? Normal there is a sticker you can just peel off with their address on it, and the postage is prepaid.
If so you can just put it in the post box, otherwise I would take it to the PO to make sure you pay correct postage.
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Popppppy)
Is their not a returns label on the invoice? Normal there is a sticker you can just peel off with their address on it, and the postage is prepaid.
If so you can just put it in the post box, otherwise I would take it to the PO to make sure you pay correct postage.
(Original post by funsongfactory)
No you'll need more than one stamp, probs best to go to the post office to see how many, you need 2 just for a thick letter so no way you'll be able to just use one
Yeah there is a label but I have to pay the postage - it only has the address on it. OK I'll go to the post office then, thanks!
hamza7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You might wanna check the royal mail website as well .. they usually give info about how large items could be.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamza7)
You might wanna check the royal mail website as well .. they usually give info about how large items could be.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal
OK thanks!
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get proof of postage as well.
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah_dru)
Get proof of postage as well.
can that just be a post office receipt?
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
can that just be a post office receipt?
I'd actually ask for proof of postage, they're a bit different from receipts.
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah_dru)
I'd actually ask for proof of postage, they're a bit different from receipts.
Ah OK thank you!
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah OK thank you!
No problem
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah OK thank you!
You'd need a tracking number.

Receipts aren't worth the paper they are written on, they don't prove anything, sadly. I found out the hard way.

You'll probably be alright sending to a reputable shop but if it puts your mind at rest send it tracked. It'll cost about £5-6 but you get a tracking number you enter into the Royal Mail website and can see exactly where the item is, plus the receiver has to sign for it.

Personally for me, I would just send it normally if it was to a shop if the item wasn't more than £30. Any more than that and I'd get it tracked.
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
You'd need a tracking number.

Receipts aren't worth the paper they are written on, they don't prove anything, sadly. I found out the hard way.

You'll probably be alright sending to a reputable shop but if it puts your mind at rest send it tracked. It'll cost about £5-6 but you get a tracking number you enter into the Royal Mail website and can see exactly where the item is, plus the receiver has to sign for it.

Personally for me, I would just send it normally if it was to a shop if the item wasn't more than £30. Any more than that and I'd get it tracked.
Theres a lot more to this posting business than I'd thought! Thanks for the advice, it's only worth about £15 and it is a big company so it should be OK not being tracked
BigS011
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how big does the post have to be to fit in the letter box
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
27.88%
Less motivated (75)
72.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise