Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Due to medical reasons, I've not been at university for the past two years.

I was studying a degree in BA (Hons) Drama at Royal Holloway, University of London and have completed two years of the degree. But I've come to the decision that going back is probably unlikely. If I wanted to transfer credits, would my only option be to the Open degree? Because obviously Drama isn't offered and there's nothing very similar...

Also, can someone explain credits... my first year of university wasn't even counted towards my degree at RHUL, so will it be counted at OU? I didn't do all that well in my first year, but got a first in my second year so how is this worked out when transferring?

Could someone explain a bit more about the Open degree, and what types of modules you get to choose from. I would want to complete a BA (Hons).

I'm so new to anything to do with OU, it's all a bit daunting but I am thinking this is a much more sensible option due to my circumstances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Putting your previous study towards an Open Degree would probably be the most flexible option for you, because for an Open Degree there isn't any requirement for the work you've previously done to be in any particular subject; whereas for a named degree they'd be looking at what modules it would match up with and, as you've pointed out, there's nothing similar. Many named degrees have a small amount of 'free choice' which it could count towards, but if you wanted to use as much as possible of what you've already done and thereby minimise the amount of further study you have to do, then you're probably talking about an Open Degree.

The first year of a degree generally doesn't count towards your degree classification anywhere, but you do have to do it in order to get the degree (i.e. at the OU, as in other unis, a degree would typically be 120 credits at Level 1, 120 credits at Level 2, and 120 credits at Level 3, with the final degree classification worked out from marks at Levels 2 and 3, with Level 3 weighted more heavily). I believe they've recently tweaked the credit transfer rules for new students, so do double-check this, but certainly the way it used to work was that if you transferred in credits, they would generally exempt you from having to do that amount of study at that level, but they wouldn't count the marks when working out your degree classification, and would work it out just from your OU marks. (Apart from anything else, the OU mark through the whole range up to 100%, and the threshold for a first is 85% rather than 70%, so marks which would be a first elsewhere wouldn't necessarily be at the OU, and it wouldn't be fair to directly compare the two in that way). So, if someone were to transfer in all of Level 1 and 2, then as I understand it their degree classification would be worked out from their Level 3 OU study alone. Do check this, though!

The Open degree basically lets you choose whatever modules you like, but do bear in mind that they'll often at the very least strongly suggest that you study the subject at Level 2 first, so you may want to think carefully about what to choose and where to start.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

If you successfully completed two years at University you would have gained 240 credits.

From what I gather, an Open Degree will generally accept all previously gained credits, so you'll probably get the full 240

Regarding your grades, your OU classification will be based on the credits you have done with the OU.

I.e your weighted average from your previous two years at University are irrelevant. If you passed all your modules, you'll get all your credits

This is good if you have slipped up previously

I haven't started my OU course yet either, but all the information about the Open Degree is on the website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    Putting your previous study towards an Open Degree would probably be the most flexible option for you, because for an Open Degree there isn't any requirement for the work you've previously done to be in any particular subject; whereas for a named degree they'd be looking at what modules it would match up with and, as you've pointed out, there's nothing similar. Many named degrees have a small amount of 'free choice' which it could count towards, but if you wanted to use as much as possible of what you've already done and thereby minimise the amount of further study you have to do, then you're probably talking about an Open Degree.

The first year of a degree generally doesn't count towards your degree classification anywhere, but you do have to do it in order to get the degree (i.e. at the OU, as in other unis, a degree would typically be 120 credits at Level 1, 120 credits at Level 2, and 120 credits at Level 3, with the final degree classification worked out from marks at Levels 2 and 3, with Level 3 weighted more heavily). I believe they've recently tweaked the credit transfer rules for new students, so do double-check this, but certainly the way it used to work was that if you transferred in credits, they would generally exempt you from having to do that amount of study at that level, but they wouldn't count the marks when working out your degree classification, and would work it out just from your OU marks. (Apart from anything else, the OU mark through the whole range up to 100%, and the threshold for a first is 85% rather than 70%, so marks which would be a first elsewhere wouldn't necessarily be at the OU, and it wouldn't be fair to directly compare the two in that way). So, if someone were to transfer in all of Level 1 and 2, then as I understand it their degree classification would be worked out from their Level 3 OU study alone. Do check this, though!

The Open degree basically lets you choose whatever modules you like, but do bear in mind that they'll often at the very least strongly suggest that you study the subject at Level 2 first, so you may want to think carefully about what to choose and where to start.

Thank you so much for that info. I have read the OU website but you've made it make sense now! I will be sure to double check anything that may have changed. That's really good that you're only graded on your OU work yet still get to put your previous credits towards the degree to cut down the time and cost of the OU degree. I'm sure some people don't see that as a pro however if they've done extremely well at their old university! But in my case, I just want a degree at the end of the day! I'm probably likely to start at Level 2 to ease myself into the subjects, also because I've been away from study for 2 years so perhaps jumping in at Level 3 is foolish. But anyway, thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimjamspread)
    Hello,

If you successfully completed two years at University you would have gained 240 credits.

From what I gather, an Open Degree will generally accept all previously gained credits, so you'll probably get the full 240

Regarding your grades, your OU classification will be based on the credits you have done with the OU.

I.e your weighted average from your previous two years at University are irrelevant. If you passed all your modules, you'll get all your credits

This is good if you have slipped up previously

I haven't started my OU course yet either, but all the information about the Open Degree is on the website
    Thank you for the info

ReputationRep:
    You won't gain 240 credits probably. The maximum is normally 180 credits ie half an honours degree with you being required to do 120 at level 3 and 60 at level 2 or 3.
    Sorry to burst your bubble if you thought you'd get credit for everything but you get credit for most of what you have done
    Also it is worth talking to an admissions tutor because you might be surprised at the number of things they let you transfer to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bownessie)
    You won't gain 240 credits probably. The maximum is normally 180 credits ie half an honours degree with you being required to do 120 at level 3 and 60 at level 2 or 3.
    Sorry to burst your bubble if you thought you'd get credit for everything but you get credit for most of what you have done
    Also it is worth talking to an admissions tutor because you might be surprised at the number of things they let you transfer to
    Would you be able to explain why they wouldn't accept 240 when I have a certificate of proof that I've got these credits? And also the website states that they will accept both the first and second year you have studied. I will obviously be contacting OU directly but if you could explain why you think they won't do this it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mw050790)
    Would you be able to explain why they wouldn't accept 240 when I have a certificate of proof that I've got these credits? And also the website states that they will accept both the first and second year you have studied. I will obviously be contacting OU directly but if you could explain why you think they won't do this it would be much appreciated.
    You can! Sorry about that! I checked it again and last time I checked it must've been under the old system still which was different!

ReputationRep:
    This makes interesting reading for me. I am in a similar situation myself. I left an BSc Hons Advertising after two years. I didn't pass some of my modules in the second year. However you like to transfer the credits to a new degree.

A few questions, what is the difference between say an open degree and something Like this http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...d-it/index.htm

Would they let me transfer credits to a computing degree ? The advertising degree was made up with alot of business modules.

I had applied to a computer science degree at the previous uni but was unsuccessful. So have been trying to look at other alternatives. On the requirements page is says "A HND at an appropriate overall standard. If in a Computing subject, advanced entry (year 2) may be considered. Please contact the Faculty Office for advice. "

I just dont want to waste the two years ( and alot of money) on nothing.

Any help on this would be great

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walledcity)
    This makes interesting reading for me. I am in a similar situation myself. I left an BSc Hons Advertising after two years. I didn't pass some of my modules in the second year. However you like to transfer the credits to a new degree.

A few questions, what is the difference between say an open degree and something Like this http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...d-it/index.htm

Would they let me transfer credits to a computing degree ? The advertising degree was made up with alot of business modules.

I had applied to a computer science degree at the previous uni but was unsuccessful. So have been trying to look at other alternatives. On the requirements page is says "A HND at an appropriate overall standard. If in a Computing subject, advanced entry (year 2) may be considered. Please contact the Faculty Office for advice. "

I just dont want to waste the two years ( and alot of money) on nothing.

Any help on this would be great

Thanks
    I think you would have to start the credit transfer process to see if you're applicable for the computing degree. For example I would much rather do a Humanities degree but if they think my credits aren't suitable I will do the Open degree (which is silly because i would pick exactly the same modules as the Humanities degree but just come away with it being called an Open degree!). So really it's up to the OU and hard to predict what they'll say unless you send them all your information (see credit transfer section of the OU website). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mw050790)
    I think you would have to start the credit transfer process to see if you're applicable for the computing degree. For example I would much rather do a Humanities degree but if they think my credits aren't suitable I will do the Open degree (which is silly because i would pick exactly the same modules as the Humanities degree but just come away with it being called an Open degree!). So really it's up to the OU and hard to predict what they'll say unless you send them all your information (see credit transfer section of the OU website). Good luck!
    Thanks for this, I will request my academic transcript and then go from there. Thanks again

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.