The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan Info Required

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to do my Masters and I need help funding it. I researched the Career Development Loan and annoyingly enough, it seems as though they stipulate that you have to be a resident in the UK for 3 years. (I am a British citizen by the way). Anyway, I told Barclays over the phone that I worked in South Korea for about 6 months, that was about a year and a half ago. Apparently this fact makes me ineligible for the loan...

I was thinking, could I just tell them that I have been travelling since graduation and omit the fact that I worked in Korea for a bit?

Cheers for the help!

Stew.
Reply 1
Sorry, I meant that you have to be a resident for the "last 3 years."
Reply 2
Original post by stewy2012
Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to do my Masters and I need help funding it. I researched the Career Development Loan and annoyingly enough, it seems as though they stipulate that you have to be a resident in the UK for 3 years. (I am a British citizen by the way). Anyway, I told Barclays over the phone that I worked in South Korea for about 6 months, that was about a year and a half ago. Apparently this fact makes me ineligible for the loan...

I was thinking, could I just tell them that I have been travelling since graduation and omit the fact that I worked in Korea for a bit?

Cheers for the help!

Stew.

It is pointless legislation given that you can use a career development loan to study at European universities, for example. Because you are a British citizen, I would just not bother telling them about your work in South Korea. Do not even mention travelling.
Reply 3
Original post by evantej
It is pointless legislation given that you can use a career development loan to study at European universities, for example. Because you are a British citizen, I would just not bother telling them about your work in South Korea. Do not even mention travelling.

Do NOT mention it. I disclosed that I'd been working in America. Barclays refused me point blank. I told them when I called for an application pack that I was in America, would it be a problem? They said no, because I was still classed as "settled" in the UK (ie I have the right to abode / enter and leave at will). But they insist that there are "restrictions on my stay in the UK", which clearly there is not.

I've called the call centre a number of times, sent emails which have had no reply, I went into my branch, who referred me back to the call centre, who told me there's no way to appeal the decision.

In all honesty you're better to lie. I've never been so mad at a bank / anyone before! Stupid Barclays.

Quick Reply

Latest