The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TheWolf
I have been wondering for a while - is durham imitating oxbridge in the way of the college systems? It probably is, and does it work? Obviously it is not as good as the oxbridge system, but how does it compare with other top universities that do not use this college system?

(i know that it is hard to compare as most of us havent been to so many different unis!)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
TheWolf
I have been wondering for a while - is durham imitating oxbridge in the way of the college systems? It probably is, and does it work? Obviously it is not as good as the oxbridge system, but how does it compare with other top universities that do not use this college system?

dude we've had this discussion *so* many times, no it doesnt compare to oxbridge as the colleges are little more than halls of residence, some, mildly dellusional students from there, have been known to call it 'doxbridge' although apparently this is more to do with sporting events.

there are other uni's that have colleges, lancaster and york are notable examples. As for durham its a top 15 uni but top 10 is, as ever, highly debatable

it also is the only place other than oxbridge where the uni name comes in the degree title or something :confused: apparently this is a good thing..?
Reply 3
rah
dude we've had this discussion *so* many times, no it doesnt compare to oxbridge as the colleges are little more than halls of residence, some, mildly dellusional students from there, have been known to call it 'doxbridge' although apparently this is more to do with sporting events.

there are other uni's that have colleges, lancaster and york are notable examples. As for durham its a top 15 uni but top 10 is, as ever, highly debatable

it also is the only place other than oxbridge where the uni name comes in the degree title or something :confused: apparently this is a good thing..?

ahh ok soz didnt know we had this discussion before. Im just thinking whether to apply for durham as an insurance. I dont even know whether i like the place at all as i havent been to durham ever in my life, may check out the open day later...
Reply 4
rah

London Colleges also give you a Uni of London title in your name.
(Lon.) or something.
BossLady
London Colleges also give you a Uni of London title in your name.
(Lon.) or something.

how would those titles actually look?
Reply 6
TheWolf

Durham University was explicitly modelled on Oxbridge, and in that sense imitates those two universities. It is also the third oldest university after Oxford and Cambridge. It does consequently seem to attract a certain number of Oxbridge rejects/wannabes who insist on rather absurdly trying to link it with those two universities. Nevertheless, it is a very good university (at least as an undergraduate, and for certain subjects), and it is in very beautiful surroundings, though its position (like that of Bristol, and in the past Manchester and Sheffield) has probably declined relative to upstarts like Warwick and Nottingham.
Reply 7
kenkennykenken
how would those titles actually look?

It would be Name BA (Dunhelm) for Durham, Cantab for Camb and Oxon for Oxford. No other university is supposed to do this, but I know London do e.g. BA (Lon.)
Reply 8
When Durham was founded, Oxford and Cambridge were the only other English universities so at the time there wasn't really a precedent for a non-collegiate university. Thus it doesn't seem too unnatural that Durham should have been made collegiate also.
Reply 9
claire1985
It would be Name BA (Dunhelm) for Durham, Cantab for Camb and Oxon for Oxford. No other university is supposed to do this, but I know London do e.g. BA (Lon.)

London alumni are not allowed to do this; only Oxbridge and Durham alumni are.
sisyphus
Durham University was explicitly modelled on Oxbridge, and in that sense imitates those two universities. It is also the third oldest university after Oxford and Cambridge. It does consequently seem to attract a certain number of Oxbridge rejects/wannabes who insist on rather absurdly trying to link it with those two universities. Nevertheless, it is a very good university (at least as an undergraduate, and for certain subjects), and it is in very beautiful surroundings, though its position (like that of Bristol, and in the past Manchester and Sheffield) has probably declined relative to upstarts like Warwick and Nottingham.

The third university to be founded in England was UCL.
claire1985

wow i didnt know that! thats so cool...!! (simple things.....)
presebjenada
wow i didnt know that! thats so cool...!! (simple things.....)

I'll say it again - unlike Oxbridge and Durham graduates, London graduates are not entitled to name their institution!
hornblower
I'll say it again - unlike Oxbridge and Durham graduates, London graduates are not entitled to name their institution!

god, what's the point of going to the good london institutions then? Might as well have gone to London guildhall or somewhere similar...
Reply 14
hornblower

I take your word for it, but how do you know these things?
errmmm thats a bit weird. so if you go to unis other than oxbridge and durham, you cant name what uni you went to on your CV? :confused: im easily confused
hornblower

all the more reason why its cool - im going to durham.. so ill hopefully get a nice little dunhelm thingy after my name which not many others (comparatively) will have!
Reply 17
But who would stop you writing your uni thing at the back anyway?
starry
But who would stop you writing your uni thing at the back anyway?

hmm good point
Reply 19
hornblower

Which is what I said

Latest