Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenkennykenken)
    errmmm thats a bit weird. so if you go to unis other than oxbridge and durham, you cant name what uni you went to on your CV? :confused: im easily confused
    I'm pretty sure you can name it on your CV, otherwise that wouldn't make any sense.

I think the extra bit goes in your degree title or something- unless somebody wants to correct me there :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I'm pretty sure you can name it on your CV, otherwise that wouldn't make any sense.

I think the extra bit goes in your degree title or something- unless somebody wants to correct me there :confused:
    I don't really know, as far as i'm concerned if I graduate from Durham it would be:
    Claire Surname BA Hons (Dunhelm)
    if I graduated from LSE it would be:
    Claire Surname BA Hons (although you could put Lon. in here, i think the tradition of only the oldest 3 being able to do this is a bit gay and outdated, so I'd do it anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I don't really know, as far as i'm concerned if I graduate from Durham it would be:
    Claire Surname BA Hons (Dunhelm)
    if I graduated from LSE it would be:
    Claire Surname BA Hons (although you could put Lon. in here, i think the tradition of only the oldest 3 being able to do this is a bit gay and outdated, so I'd do it anyway!)
    Why is it the only the oldest three that are allowed to do it? Anybody know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Why is it the only the oldest three that are allowed to do it? Anybody know?
    Tradition i guess. Am I being really thick if I ask what's Dunhelm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I have no idea what it is either, except that is sounds kind of like Durham but not really.

Yeah, that didn't make much sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I think it's Latin or Saxon English, something old anyway... It doesn't make sense to me, but Camb is CAntab, which sounds to me like Canterbury!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    i think the tradition of only the oldest 3 being able to do this is a bit gay
    ah, a bigoted feminist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    ah, a bigoted feminist!
    Hehe, turn of phrase, desolee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    And the fourth was King's College London. Durham is only 5th.
    Technically the third was St David's College, Wales. Founded 1822.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    And the fourth was King's College London. Durham is only 5th.
    Hmm, this site says that Durham was founded in 1832, and descirbes it as the third oldest in England. It says that UCL was founded in 1826, but it wasn't legally recgonised until 1836.

It's legal status as a university-level institution thus postdates that of Durham (founded 1832); however because it was actually founded in 1826 it is sometimes claimed to be the third oldest university in England, after Oxford and Cambridge. UCL is not actually a university in its own right, but can claim to be the third oldest higher education institution. It has also been said that, since the charter of King's College London (granted in 1829) predates that of UCL by five years, UCL should not even be regarded as the oldest college in the University of London

ReputationRep:
    UCL was the first institution set up that did not have a religious test for admissions though, which I think is a bigger achievement than being the third university in England. KCL was still an Anglican foundation.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.