The Student Room Group

Moped CBT

Hello :smile:

I have my CBT for my moped next Thursday and I am really nervous. What sort of things will they ask me to do and is it hard?

Thank you
First post in the motorbike society :h:

It's training, not a test, you'll do an off road bit, then an on road bit, read the highway code before you go. You can fail, but it is quite hard to fail
(edited 11 years ago)
I just did my geared bike CBT.

You'll start the day with an over view of a bike's controls, how it works and how to be safe on it. You'll then be taken outside to have a go at riding. At first it'll be slow movement - around walking pace - in a straight(ish!) line. After that, it'll be laps around a car park, figure of 8 and finally emergency stop. The pace at which you progress is entirely down to you here. On an automatic I can see it being very easy indeed.

After you've done the basic controls, they'll assess whether you should be allowed on the road. If so, you'll then spend about 2 hours driving around under instruction by a teacher on a bigger bike behind or in front of you via radio.

I found the only hard part the clutch control - which you won't have to worry about. The rest is pretty straight forward riding tbh. If you've ever driven a car or even ridden a bicycle on the roads, you should be fine.

One little tip: Don't let the nerves get to you. Stay calm and relaxed. If you make a mistake, shake it off and carry on calmly. Above all though, have fun!
Original post by mikeyd85

You'll start the day with an over view of a bike's controls, how it works and how to be safe on it. You'll then be taken outside to have a go at riding. At first it'll be slow movement - around walking pace - in a straight(ish!) line. After that, it'll be laps around a car park, figure of 8 and finally emergency stop. The pace at which you progress is entirely down to you here. On an automatic I can see it being very easy indeed.

After you've done the basic controls, they'll assess whether you should be allowed on the road. If so, you'll then spend about 2 hours driving around under instruction by a teacher on a bigger bike behind or in front of you via radio.

I found the only hard part the clutch control - which you won't have to worry about. The rest is pretty straight forward riding tbh. If you've ever driven a car or even ridden a bicycle on the roads, you should be fine.

One little tip: Don't let the nerves get to you. Stay calm and relaxed. If you make a mistake, shake it off and carry on calmly. Above all though, have fun!

When you go on the road, are you in groups with other people? Or do you have individual instructors?
Original post by GreatArtist2012
When you go on the road, are you in groups with other people? Or do you have individual instructors?

by law, its upto 3 students to an instructor on a CBT, most have 2.

you will usually have one learner in front, then the instructor and the other(s) following, so only one being instructed as such, but all getting the needed practice.
the instructor can talk to you (or sing in my case :lol: ), you cant talk back.

as wiggles said, its training, not a test, take it easy and you should be fine.
the only thing you are meant to know beforehand is the highway code.

i 'failed' my first one due to nerves, and not understanding the gears, but then made all the dangerous mistakes on the second try that i 'passed' (like going the wrong side of an island :pinch: )
remember they are looking to see if you are safe on the roads, not a perfect driver.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boristhethird
by law, its upto 3 students to an instructor on a CBT, most have 2.

you will usually have one learner in front, then the instructor and the other(s) following, so only one being instructed as such, but all getting the needed practice.
the instructor can talk to you (or sing in my case :lol: ), you cant talk back.

as wiggles said, its training, not a test, take it easy and you should be fine.
the only thing you are meant to know beforehand is the highway code.

i 'failed' my first one due to nerves, and not understanding the gears, but then made all the dangerous mistakes on the second try that i 'passed' (like going the wrong side of an island :pinch: )
remember they are looking to see if you are safe on the roads, not a perfect driver.

Ahh thank you for that :smile:

Another thing, what does it mean when u derestrict a moped?
Ahh thank you for that :smile:

Another thing, what does it mean when u derestrict a moped?

looking at your profile, you are 20, so im guessing youll have a scooter rather then a moped

in legal terms,
a moped is a bike of 50cc or less, limited to 30mph
a scooter is an automatic motorcycle of 51cc or more.

im guessing you'll get a 125, so on the CBT you will be restricted to 15bhp (only a 2 stroke will be more then this anyway)
Original post by Boristhethird
looking at your profile, you are 20, so im guessing youll have a scooter rather then a moped

in legal terms,
a moped is a bike of 50cc or less, limited to 30mph
a scooter is an automatic motorcycle of 51cc or more.

im guessing you'll get a 125, so on the CBT you will be restricted to 15bhp (only a 2 stroke will be more then this anyway)

Sorry, I don't know why my profile says that. I am actually 16.

Can i derestrict my moped to make it go faster than 40mph?

not realistic on a 50cc

you might be able to on a 2 stroke one, derestricted, downhill with a backwind...

your insurance would also be invalidated, and youd have youll be riding without a licence, so id advise against it...
Reply 9

You can get them to go up to 40 when de-restricted. It's only legal to de-restrict a 50CC bike when you're 17. And then it changes glass from moped to motorbike or something. And you have to tell you insurer else your insurance becomes invalid.

If you want a bike that can go up to 80Mph (and Legally) then wait until your 17 and get a 125CC bike.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Camoxide
You can get them to go up to 40 when de-restricted. It's only legal to de-restrict a 50CC bike when you're 17. And then it changes glass from moped to motorbike or something. And you have to tell you insurer else your insurance becomes invalid.

If you want a bike that can go up to 80Mph (and Legally) then wait until your 17 and get a 125CC bike.

33mph is fast enough for a moped though, right?
Reply 11

If you're not planning on being in 40 or 50 zones at any point.

no, you'll feel powerless, and get bullied to the side of the road.

mopeds are scareally dangerous things, not enough power to get out of bat situations.
Original post by Camoxide
If you're not planning on being in 40 or 50 zones at any point.

lol ive been on plenty of 40mph zones now after passing my cbt and its been fine :biggrin:
Try doing a 1hour get on bike free tuition.
I did it, got me ready for my CBT.
Reply 15
Original post by mikeyd85

You make it sound easy :eek: did my get on free ride about a week ago and due to other things I can't do my CBT until late August :s-smilie:

What was it like with traffic as a learner? Found the clutch a tab tricky and I think I'd panic at round abouts; think thats one of my worries.

Noticed your from the North end, are they bike friendly with parking up there? As from my experience they are anti-car-ist.
Original post by Tim99
You make it sound easy :eek: did my get on free ride about a week ago and due to other things I can't do my CBT until late August :s-smilie:

What was it like with traffic as a learner? Found the clutch a tab tricky and I think I'd panic at round abouts; think thats one of my worries.

Noticed your from the North end, are they bike friendly with parking up there? As from my experience they are anti-car-ist.

Hehe, well, it isn't hard. It's more a confidence thing IMO.

Traffic was fine. Our instructors took us to the more quite roads round the area so it was no bother at all. Remember at all times to ride for yourself and to your own ability and you'll be fine.

Plenty of free parking in Leeds for bikes. :cool:
I would suggest a couple of things.

Do not over think.

Try looking were you want to go.

When approaching a corner plan ahead, you should already know where you want to go.
If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending