Help about alevel choices N PPE/law watch

ReputationRep:
    I handed in my choices for as level last week which were:

History
    English Lit
    Maths
    Chemistry
    French

on handing them i was told that i wouldnt be able to get into a PPE degree at oxford with those alevels and im much better of doing eco/poltics/philosphy, im really pissed off because PPE is what ive always wanted to do, and ive done quite a bit of reading on it!

Do you think i should change to those alevels, ive got interest in them but i just thought these subject which ive chosen (which incidently i have alot of interest in too) are better accademically.

are there any other similur courses to ppe that i would be able to do with those as levels

ReputationRep:
    Pursue your interests. Don't simply choose a subject because it's well respected, you may not enjoy it and hence you may not want to do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a1987)

History
    English Lit
    Maths
    Chemistry
    French

on handing them i was told that i wouldnt be able to get into a PPE degree at oxford with those alevels and im much better of doing eco/poltics/philosphy, im really pissed off because PPE is what ive always wanted to do, and ive done quite a bit of reading on it!

Do you think i should change to those alevels, ive got interest in them but i just thought these subject which ive chosen (which incidently i have alot of interest in too) are better accademically.

are there any other similur courses to ppe that i would be able to do with those as levels
    so you want to do ppe - why is economics not in your alevel choices?

ReputationRep:
    don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise - those A levels are perfect for PPE. History and Maths are the recommended ones, and the others are among the most respected and give you a superb range.

there really is no need, or arguably even advantage to do the PPE subjects at A level, although many do simply because they're interested in them. the only thing is that a bit of reading in each of the subjects before the interview would be advantageous, to show your interest.

anyone who says you won't get into oxford with those choices simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise - those A levels are perfect for PPE. History and Maths are the recommended ones, and the others are among the most respected and give you a superb range.

there really is no need, or arguably even advantage to do the PPE subjects at A level, although many do simply because they're interested in them. the only thing is that a bit of reading in each of the subjects before the interview would be advantageous, to show your interest.

anyone who says you won't get into oxford with those choices simply doesn't know what they are talking about.
    yea sure it is fine, but i am just wondering why you dont take economics aleve. I am doing it at the moment - and it is real great subject. It is highly regarded in the universities. And the fact that you are going to aim to do ppe, it is just curious to me why you dont want to do economics?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know i just thought chemistry would be more academically recognised, is econmoics alevel interesting? is it easy?

ReputationRep:
    I did Business and Economics AS and A2, which I would say is not the hardest subject. For the majority Chemistry would be much harder and way more work. But I didn't find B&E wonderfully interesting either. I always prefered the business side of it, not being a great fan of economics. All the supply and demand graphs, inflation, macro economic policy... urgh. But if you want to do PPE then I would hope that you think you'll enjoy economics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a1987)

History
    English Lit
    Maths
    Chemistry
    French

I think you're subjects are much better than Politics, Philosophy and Economics which by some are not half as respected as all of your subjects (an excellent list btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I think you're subjects are much better than Politics, Philosophy and Economics which by some are not half as respected as all of your subjects (an excellent list btw).
    True, although I didn't listen my that advice when I chose all three PPE subjects for A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    True, although I didn't listen my that advice when I chose all three PPE subjects for A level
    Do you want to do a PPE degree?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.