The Student Room Group

Why is 4th July a big deal?

I don't get it.. there's probably occasions we could celebrate for example freedom from the romans etc.. It seems like the Americans make more of a fuss over it than they do memorial day?

All i've seen today on various games and forums is Americans chanting USA. I even had an American flaming me on COD paraphrased: "How do you feel we kicked your ass faggot"

The day celebrates the US getting independance from the UK but I wouldn't have even remembered if it weren't for Christianlady on TSR.

Anyway, brb going to celebrate how after we lost the USA we became the biggest empire in History. UK UK UK

Ameicans- why do you care about the 4th July?

Scroll to see replies

I guess it's symbolic because it was the start of the US as a nation. Let them go crazy over it. Those who actually mock us Brits for losing that war are immature ********s. They don't represent decent Americans. How about they take the piss out of us for our celebrating of various saints' days or anything else?

I understand how stupid it is for non-Americans to go on about but it's fine for Americans to celebrate the day their country started.
Original post by Miracle Day
I don't get it.. there's probably occasions we could celebrate for example freedom from the romans etc.. It seems like the Americans make more of a fuss over it than they do memorial day?

All i've seen today on various games and forums is Americans chanting USA. I even had an American flaming me on COD paraphrased: "How do you feel we kicked your ass faggot"

The day celebrates the US getting independance from the UK but I wouldn't have even remembered if it weren't for Christianlady on TSR.

Anyway, brb going to celebrate how after we lost the USA we became the biggest empire in History. UK UK UK

Ameicans- why do you care about the 4th July?

For me it's just a fun holiday to get together with friends and family and eat some good BBQ and watch fireworks. The real significance of the holiday is lost on most I'd imagine...
I don't understand why the WHOLE of America celebrates it. Wasn't it just the Thirteen Colonies that gained independence?
To be honest the english and Irish get just as happy over St. Patricks day and St. Georges so it all evens itself out.
I even had an American flaming me on COD paraphrased: "How do you feel we kicked your ass faggot"

That's almost as annoying as "We totally, like, saved yo ass in the war maaaan!!!"

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Americans- why do you care about the 4th July?

Hello Miracle Day,

As an American, I care about the 4th of July for the following reasons:

1. As a native-born American, I have grown up celebrating Independence Day. It has always been a time of fun and excitement, with patriotic songs, picnics, red/white/blue face painting, water slides, firecrackers, fireworks, and fun with family, friends, and strangers. So, probably the earliest reason I care is because since I was 4 years old and could remember, Independence Day is AWESOME!!!

2. In the USA, freedom is an important concept. The freedoms of speech, press, religion, assembly, and petition are treasured. The Declaration of Independence was the beginning of establishing these freedoms for a certain group of people. Sadly, the Native Americans and African Americans did not enjoy this rights until later on, when the US government woke up to the fact that all men and women are indeed equal. It took a lot of hard work of some people to help the USA grow in human rights. The USA still has a long ways to go. However, the Declaration of Independence was a very important first step.

3. Most Americans do not have anything against the UK nowadays, but in the year 1776, there were very harsh feelings between the British colonialists and their Mother Land. When writing (not on this forum) about the reactions to my other thread, it hit me that what people in the UK need is love. Love is much more powerful than hatred. Independence Day does indeed have negative connotations between the ancestors of both nations, the UK and the USA. However, it would be awesome if the Americans and the British nowadays can get along and learn from each other, instead of attacking each other. I do appreciate the UK people who responded kindly in the other post, explaining that they don't think of the Independence of former colonies, as well as those who said they understood. Those who reacted with attacks against the USA and personal attacks against me need love. Now, does love mean to be a doormat and let people be rude? I don't think so. However, I don't need to rudely call them insulting names back.

4. Unity is what makes the 4th of July a big deal. It's basically the only day of the year lol where both Democrats and Republicans take off their "armor" against each other and become united in celebrating our country's birthday. The only other times when Americans become united politically is when the USA is attacked (like during 9/11) and unite to protect. Sadly, that patriotism was steered in the wrong direction (in my opinion) when the USA invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. :frown: However, it is most definitely true that many Americans love the USA with a strong passion and are eager to defend the USA against whatever is perceived by them as a threat. Unity is one of the main things that has made the USA a strong nation.

Thanks for your question. I hope the above answered it.

Peace
Reply 7
because in america blind patriotism is the norm and they dont have the cognitive capacity to think anything bad about their country, then again as far as they know the world outside it is a giant desert filled with communists and terrorists trying to divert oil away from them. and lets face it, they dont have much else to celebrate do they
Reply 8
it's a reason to have fun! and to explode money in the form of fireworks.

It's really a celebration of the birth of the USA and freedom.

Original post by alex5455
because in america blind patriotism is the norm and they dont have the cognitive capacity to think anything bad about their country, then again as far as they know the world outside it is a giant desert filled with communists and terrorists trying to divert oil away from them. and lets face it, they dont have much else to celebrate do they

Alex, can't you just be nice about the USA just once? Most countries have a day where they celebrate the country and its people.
Reply 9
Original post by DYKWIA
it's a reason to have fun! and to explode money in the form of fireworks.

It's really a celebration of the birth of the USA and freedom.

Alex, can't you just be nice about the USA just once? Most countries have a day where they celebrate the country and its people.

no i cant why should i? the us is a blight on our planet, so shut up and stop thread stalking me.
Reply 10
no i cant why should i? the us is a blight on our planet, so shut up and stop thread stalking me.

And what is Britain?
Reply 11

maybe the US has done good in the world despite what you think.

Original post by Organ
And what is Britain?

Imperialistic.
Reply 12
Original post by DYKWIA

Imperialistic.

And ask the Filipinos whether or not the US was imperialistic.
Reply 13
Original post by Organ
And what is Britain?

in the past we were an imperial power, good and bad sides, now we are a normal country that is continuing along our developmental path, unfortunately we have pathetic politicians who suck up to war mongering america and join in wars we have no place in
Reply 14
Original post by DYKWIA

Imperialistic.

The us hasnt done good in the world, constant war and invasion is good is it?

imperialistic, sorry the phillipines, the imperialistic destruction of the confederate states the oppression of puerto rico
"How do you feel we kicked your ass faggot"

I actually love those kids. I have a good chuckle at the fact that they probably haven't even studied those wars in history class yet and know nothing. The stupidity heard from American kids on Xbox Live beats all other nationalities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by vedderfan94
I actually love those kids. I have a good chuckle at the fact that they probably haven't even studied those wars in history class yet and know nothing. The stupidity heard from American kids on Xbox Live beats all other nationalities.

the stupidity of americans beats all other nationalities generally
Reply 17
Its the day the US became a nation
Reply 18
Original post by Gales
And ask the Filipinos whether or not the US was imperialistic.

That wasn't really imperialism, as the USA was trying to stabilize the Philippines and protect them somewhat from european imperialism as well as using them as a method of establishing trade with china.

The us hasnt done good in the world, constant war and invasion is good is it?

imperialistic, sorry the phillipines, the imperialistic destruction of the confederate states the oppression of puerto rico

The south supported the continuation of slavery and wanted to destroy the north. Puerto Rico wanted to be a part of the USA for obvious reasons.

Original post by vedderfan94

i think there are people like that in most countries.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
I do not understand americans neither does my imaginary i friend:facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending