The Student Room Group

20 year old gets sentenced to 161 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AndroidLight
Another case of American racism against Black people, just like Travon Martin who was killed. Shameful.

lol bite idiots

What a stupid thing to say. :rolleyes:

And regarding the 121 year sentence: good, it's about time criminals started getting the sentences they deserve. Just like if you kill 5 people you should get 5 life sentences.
Reply 61
Original post by BeanofJelly
That includes some elderly people who require full time nursing care, for crying out loud. I find that quite disgusting.

It certainly isn't too late for this young man. If he was shipped out, away from bad influences, his mental and social problems dealt with, and given a job to do - he would never reoffend. Do you disagree?

I think your being dishonest in your statistical analysis. Of course the number is going to be reduced because the vast majority of the population need minimal amount of social care. It costs £20,000+ for each person in full-time care at a minimum. There's nothing disgusting here unless those in full-time aren't getting there needs taken care of. All this shows is how minimal we all generally need social care.

Yes. Is he being shipped out as voluntary? Or is he being shipped out as a criminal? If the former, what's to make him stay there? His family won't be there. And there would be a lack of women (assuming his heterosexual) thus can't even start a family (most people want to start a family). His friends won't be there. If his being shipped there as a criminal akin to Norway's prison Island, then I don't see the point. All your doing is giving him a more cushy prison experience, not rehabilitating him. If his only there temporarily, again what's to stop him going back to his bad environment? His family and friends are there. How are you going to guarantee him a job out of prison? Subsidize companies to encourage them to take on prisoners? What if he messes up? Your going to have to pay the company who knows how much in damages. The income inequality and consumerist culture would still be alive thus still have that drive to have more and more than you can afford.
Armed robbery is a horrible crime, people underestimate this. It is certainly not victimless.

Some people are so traumatised by it that they can go on to have psychiatric problems, their lives totally messed up. He may not have killed anybody but I don't think we should underestimate the suffering of he may have caused.

That said - because that suffering can be so underestimated, he may not be fully aware of it himself. I don't think you have to be evil to commit armed robbery (although he might be evil, I don't know).

Assuming that he isn't a psychopath, it seems a great shame to transform a young man, with his life ahead of him, into a pathetic institutionalised wreck who will die in prison, no use to anybody. When I believe it is possible he could be reformed and make up for his mistakes.

Also - I think stacking the punishments is totally ridiculous. The reason each concurrent offence is 25 years is presumably to act as a strong deterrent against reoffending after someone's already been convicted once and left the prison system. He hasn't had the opportunity to be deterred from reoffending, as he hasn't previously been convicted.

I also don't understand why he has been found guilty of so many robberies at once. If they had enough evidence to convict him of each robbery, why wasn't he put away at the time he committed them? I can't help but suspect he's been given bad or no legal advice, and so has been duped into confessing to many robberies when actually there was no benefit to him in doing so. Which isn't how a legal system should work - people should be rewarded, not punished for confessing their crimes.

EDIT: When you look into his background, he is actually quite a sad, inadequate person. Sending him to prison for ever is a waste, when with enough support he might be able to lead a helpful life, not dependant upon criminal activites for income. He probably isn't intractably bad, treating him as such is just foolish, and also quite heartless.

EDIT: It seems the real crime he is being punished for, is not being savvy or rich enough to work the American legal system.

Best post I have ever read on TSR, I take my hat off to you sir :hat:
While it may be good to keep this guy off the streets in the short run, surely it would be better to try and reform him, instead of wasting his potential and a human life. There are far worse crimes that people are incarcerated for which lead to smaller sentences, the US justice system is just nuts
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Algorithm69
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time lol

This. At 18 you should know better than to go on a string of armed robberies... not just one, but several, if that is the sentence someone would get for committing the number of armed robberies he did then that is the sentence... I've no sympathy for him.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I think your being dishonest in your statistical analysis. Of course the number is going to be reduced because the vast majority of the population need minimal amount of social care. It costs £20,000+ for each person in full-time care at a minimum. There's nothing disgusting here unless those in full-time aren't getting there needs taken care of. All this shows is how minimal we all generally need social care.

Yes. Is he being shipped out as voluntary? Or is he being shipped out as a criminal? If the former, what's to make him stay there? His family won't be there. And there would be a lack of women (assuming his heterosexual) thus can't even start a family (most people want to start a family). His friends won't be there. If his being shipped there as a criminal akin to Norway's prison Island, then I don't see the point. All your doing is giving him a more cushy prison experience, not rehabilitating him. If his only there temporarily, again what's to stop him going back to his bad environment? His family and friends are there. How are you going to guarantee him a job out of prison? Subsidize companies to encourage them to take on prisoners? What if he messes up? Your going to have to pay the company who knows how much in damages. The income inequality and consumerist culture would still be alive thus still have that drive to have more and more than you can afford.

Yes you are right sorry this is misleading :redface: My mistake.

The average user cost per year of those social care mediums is something like £12,000. It's a little under 4 times cheaper than prison, and this includes those in full time nursing care.

I don't mean its disgusting in that its not enough to spend. I mean I think its disgusting that for the sake of punishment, we are spending so much more on imprisoning people than just helping them with their problems (some social support does NOT cost £12,000 a year).

I don't mean shipping him out literally, to an island! Lol. I mean taking him away from that negative environment. Into a scheme that will support him to live a decent life in a quieter community. I think he would rather live in a community than go to prison for life...

This isn't just the mad daydreaming of an idealist.. schemes like this already exist and are successful, they're also cheap (certainly compared to prison). But atm they are funded by charities, and the provision is not high enough.
Reply 65
Armed robbery. Serves him right.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Felisto
That is the result of a law system without so called "concurrent criminal offence" (loosely translated).

America does have concurrent sentencing. It only implies when all the offences occurred in the course of a single criminal event, like if you murder someone and steal a car during a bank robbery. If multiple crimes are distinct and seperate events, such as on this case, then they are sentenced consecutively.
Reply 67
I kinda feel sorry for him but the armed bit makes me think he's a nasty bastard anyway!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 68
Yes you are right sorry this is misleading :redface: My mistake.

The average user cost per year of those social care mediums is something like £12,000. It's a little under 4 times cheaper than prison, and this includes those in full time nursing care.

I don't mean its disgusting in that its not enough to spend. I mean I think its disgusting that for the sake of punishment, we are spending so much more on imprisoning people than just helping them with their problems (some social support does NOT cost £12,000 a year).

I don't mean shipping him out literally, to an island! Lol. I mean taking him away from that negative environment. Into a scheme that will support him to live a decent life in a quieter community. I think he would rather live in a community than go to prison for life...

This isn't just the mad daydreaming of an idealist.. schemes like this already exist and are successful, they're also cheap (certainly compared to prison). But atm they are funded by charities, and the provision is not high enough.

Yeah but the effectiveness of these social programs are up for debate and aren't clear-cut. Out of curiosity, what schemes are these? Also, unless the prisoners are chosen randomly and forced to enter the program, their effectiveness for the general prison population will be up for debate because other factors like family situation, social life situation, inner-motivation etc aren't controlled for.

I thought you meant this kind of program post-serving prison. If that is the case, then why would he assume his going to go back to prison? He probably isn't smart enough to figure this out and humans think short-term and tend to overestimate the power they have over other factors that could negatively effect them.
Original post by facdroit
Probably will be in and out of jail anyway. Makes no difference.

It's America, not our ****ty system.

On another note: Quartavious? :rofl: Sounds like a character from a Jeeves and Wooster book.

It's hard to tell... Serial armed robber is obviously not a good person and deserves a long jail term, but (effectively) life without possibility of parole in an ultimately non-violent crime is a tad excessive. Reading more about it, he doesn't appear to be unredeemable. Maybe the sentence should have been served concurrently rather than consecutively with possibility for parole, so he'd be out at 45 maximum and still have a chance?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by pol pot noodles
America does have concurrent sentencing. It only implies when all the offences occurred in the course of a single criminal event, like if you murder someone and steal a car during a bank robbery. If multiple crimes are distinct and seperate events, such as on this case, then they are sentenced consecutively.

Okay thanks, good to know.

We have "Tateinheit" (one crime which realises different criminal offences or the same criminal offence multiple times -> the sentence is the one from the most serious realised criminal offence) and "Tatmehrheit" (multiple seperate crimes which are tried all at once -> is there a lifetime sentence for one of the realised crimes, you get lifetime; are all the sentences time sentences, you get a sentence which is higher than the highest sentence for one crime but not more than 15 years ) in Germany.

The offender in this case would have probably got sentenced to 5-15 years (5 is the minimum and 15 the maximum possible for this case) here in Germany with the possibility to be released earlier. Pretty big difference to 161 years...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Felisto
Okay thanks, good to know.

We have "Tateinheit" (one crime which realises different criminal offences or the same criminal offence multiple times -> the sentence is the one from the most serious realised criminal offence) and "Tatmehrheit" (multiple seperate crimes which are tried all at once -> is there a lifetime sentence for one of the realised crimes, you get lifetime; are all the sentences time sentences, you get a sentence which is higher than the highest sentence for one crime but not more than 15 years ) in Germany.

The offender in this case would have probably got sentenced to 5-15 years (5 is the minimum and 15 the maximum possible for this case) here in Germany with the possibility to be released earlier. Pretty big difference to 161 years...

So hang on, just to clarify, for 'Tatmehrheit', is that an extra of 15 possible years on top of the highest sentence, or is that a maximum of 15 years overall for everything? So say if someone does five 10 year crimes, will he get 25 years (10 for all the crimes + 15 years as the extra), or 15 years because because they can only add 5 years as the limit is 15?
Original post by Darth Stewie
How **** must his lawyer of been :eek:

He should have called Saul.
Reply 73
So hang on, just to clarify, for 'Tatmehrheit', is that an extra of 15 possible years on top of the highest sentence, or is that a maximum of 15 years overall for everything? So say if someone does five 10 year crimes, will he get 25 years (10 for all the crimes + 15 years as the extra), or 15 years because because they can only add 5 years as the limit is 15?

If someone does five 10 year crimes the maximum he can get is still 15 years. The judge would take the highest sentence (in your example are they all the same -> 10 years) and add some years to that but more than 15 years is not possible. 15 years is the absolute limit for time sentences (but "preventive detention" can be added in some rare cases for very dangerous criminals) .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
America, **** yeah!

Their justice system is a ****ing disgrace :dry:
Original post by Felisto
If someone does five 10 year crimes the maximum he can get is still 15 years. The jude would take the highest sentence (in your example are they all the same -> 10 years) and add some years to that but more than 15 years is not possible. 15 years is the absolute limit for time sentences (but "preventive detention" can be added in some rare cases for very dangerous criminals) .

Don't get me wrong I think American sentences are a bit harsh at times, but on the complete opposite end of the scale I think 15 years maximum no matter how many different 'minor' crimes someone commits is a bit lenient.
Reply 76
Don't get me wrong I think American sentences are a bit harsh at times, but on the complete opposite end of the scale I think 15 years maximum no matter how many different 'minor' crimes someone commits is a bit lenient.

We are hoping that an offender is caught before he can commit hundreds of crimes. :wink:
And someone who commited 100 shop thefts is still only a thief and shouldn't spend the rest of his life in prison.

There are other reasons for such a limitation:
- human rights (right of freedom): everyone should always have the perspective to come free again if he is no longer a danger to other people
- no matter how long a sentence is, the deterrent effect of it is really low
- people should be rehabilitated in prison; long sentences create even worse criminals who will be a real danger to others
- prisoners cost a lot of money
- the system works in Germany (there are some problems with juvenile crime though)
(edited 11 years ago)
Nobody's mature at 18 - my brother is 19 and he still gets excited when The Wombles is on. They should definitely have given him a 30-40 year sentence at the most - by the time he's 50, I'm sure he'll have changed his mind on the effectiveness of armed robbery.

And on the shooting side of it, if he didn't even hit the dog, what's the problem? It was chasing them, so it would have looked like a threat to anyone in that situation. Dogs have been responsible for a hell of a lot of deaths in the past - personally, I'd be glad to see one less on the planet... probably just me though...
Reply 78
Original post by Huz
Jesse Jackson's gonna hear about this. If he were a Christian he would have got 2 years with an xbox and a plasma. But because hes Muslim they gave him life.

:rofl2:.
Reply 79
At least in China he would have got a bullet. I feel 20 years might be more appropriate. It's way way too easy to **** up real bad at any stage of your life. America gives up on people way too easily. Ah, at least this way they can guarantee his labour for 50c an hour for the rest of his life, whilst taxing American citizens to pay the private company who will imprison him. What a waste.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending