The Student Room Group

23 Year Old - NTU Accommodation Concerns/Questions

Hey all,

Not used this in a while but now finally have something of importance to ask. So I am going to college in September to do an access course I will be 22 when the course starts and I am currently 21. If all goes well I'll be off to uni the year after to study primary education at NTU, I'm from Notts and want to stay here throughout my degree.

I'm off to the open day at Trent next week and will get to look round accommodation and speak to people etc but just wondered if anyone had any experiences/wise words they could pass on. I'm looking at my living arrangements and the possible options.

Option 1) Stay at home - would definitely help with costs but feel like I could miss out on some of the uni experience and being 23 when I start uni feel it's time I stood on my feet and learnt how to look after myself properly.

Option 2) Standard Halls - these are all en suite on the clifton campus as far as I'm aware which is cool and obviously are the trad way of starting uni life but I'm a bit concerned about being with a load of 18 year old nut jobs (no offence) I'm not that much older but will be 5 years older by the time uni comes around, I like going out for a drink etc but not massively into clubbing, prefer rock music, gigs that sort of thing and while I like going out also enjoy a bit of peace and quiet and as I'm going to uni a bit later than usual want to make sure I do well and pass as it's a bit like 'now or never'

Option 3) Mature Student Accommodation - this is still on campus in houses so presume its still like halls? Sounds like the better option IMHO but bit concerned then about being put with a load of 40 year olds who won't to do anything but from what I've heard would benefit from the maturity of the people I'd live with in terms of cleanliness and respecting other peoples stuff.

Obviously it's a bit of a way off yet but it's one of those things that's just bumbling round in my head now and I can't let it go!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

I will be 27 in September, when I start at NTU. I have the same feelings about staying in halls due to my age but alot of friends have said that they had 'older' students living with them in halls. Suppose it all depends on your outlook and how you interact with people. If you are outgoing etc I think that you would really enjoy the experience and get to know a lot more people.

I will be staying in a private rented house with other students, simply because I have left it too late for uni accommodation and the only one left is maltings, which is a bit too out of the way for me really.
Reply 2
Yes. Just as long as you make an effort with the other student your age won't be a problem. In my experience there were a lot of mature students who thought they were either too old or too mature to be hanging out with younger students and ended up just isolating themselves in the end leaving them with little to no friends. The mature students which made the effort to hang out with the other students, and get involved in the drinking games or just generally hung out etc were a lot more accepted, and made a lot of friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending