The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lotus
Hey I'm going to Cambridge (Newnham) in October, and although I'm really excited I'm also really nervous!
I'd love to talk to some other people that are going, and I'd really like to get to know people from different colleges so that I have some buddies to meet when I get there!Anyone take pity on me?x

I'm actually more nervous about getting the grades than actually going. I'm sure that if I get the grades then the nerves about going will kick in.

MB
Reply 2
I'm sure you will get the grades, although I know its easier said than done! Luckily I don't have to worry about that because I got an unconditional (but only because I applied post a-level). What college did you get an offer from? Did you apply for music?
lotus
I'm sure you will get the grades, although I know its easier said than done! Luckily I don't have to worry about that because I got an unconditional (but only because I applied post a-level). What college did you get an offer from? Did you apply for music?

Yeah robinson for music and I need to get AAA. I am doing four A levels so I should get at least three As but it is still scary.

MB
Reply 4
musicboy
Yeah robinson for music and I need to get AAA. I am doing four A levels so I should get at least three As but it is still scary.

MB

Yes, I think its more nerve racking to get accepted to Oxbridge and then failing to get the grades. That would be a more heart braking experience for people than failing the preliminary interview acceptance.
Reply 5
Saintsin
Yes, I think its more nerve racking to get accepted to Oxbridge and then failing to get the grades. That would be a more heart braking experience for people than failing the preliminary interview acceptance.

I'd just never forgive myself.
Reply 6
I also have an offer for Newnham, like so many others I'm more scared I'll miss my offer than actually going, but thats because the reality of it still hasn't kicked in! I've said before on here that if my interview had been more academically challenging rather than just about my interests in the subject then I'd be much less worried. I don't think I'm clever enough to go there and scared I won't cope with the course. Everyone I know keeps telling me I'm worrying over nothing but the nagging doubt is always there at the front of my mind! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the summer brings!

What subject will you be studying at Newnham? I'm an Arch & Anth girl!
Reply 7
Im nervous, and sometimes i wonder whether it will be the place for me, then i think that i could never have turned them down and accpeted some where else, i would have been kicking myself forever. I think you just have to go for it. Luckily i seemt o know lots of people going, including my best friend. I know 7 people in total with offers (im not from private school, so id say that was quite a lot). But im still going to be nervous, i dont really know anyone at my college except for people i met on a vet day a few weeks ago.
I think everyone's pretty nervous. A few months ago, i wasn't streessing about whether or not i would get three A's: i was pretty sure i would be ok (i do 4 subjects). But now, I'm really worried that I'll slip up. Panic!

By the way, I'm going to Trinity for Economics.

Sam
Reply 9
Saintsin
Reply 10
Saintsin

Yeah, I'm sorry and I know that I'm lucky to get an unconditional. I hope that everyone who has got an offer makes their grades because theres so much pressure and others expect so much. Good luck peeps!x
Reply 11
what subject are you doing Lotus?
lotus
Yeah, I'm sorry and I know that I'm lucky to get an unconditional. I hope that everyone who has got an offer makes their grades because theres so much pressure and others expect so much. Good luck peeps!x

Why are you sorry? You're allowed to be nervous about coming up, even with an unconditional! Though I promise you don't need to be :smile:
Reply 13
MadNatSci
Why are you sorry? You're allowed to be nervous about coming up, even with an unconditional! Though I promise you don't need to be :smile:

I agree, you shouldn't be sorry! I didn't mean my post to sound as if I was having a go at you because of your nerves, merely pointing out that my nerves are slightly different! But that doesn't mean your nerves are unfounded, I'm not going to slate someone for being justly nervous about starting an undoubtedly demanding course in a new environment! I'm sorry if it came across that way, I didn't mean it to at all!
Reply 14
Katie J
I also have an offer for Newnham, like so many others I'm more scared I'll miss my offer than actually going, but thats because the reality of it still hasn't kicked in! I've said before on here that if my interview had been more academically challenging rather than just about my interests in the subject then I'd be much less worried. I don't think I'm clever enough to go there and scared I won't cope with the course. Everyone I know keeps telling me I'm worrying over nothing but the nagging doubt is always there at the front of my mind! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the summer brings!

What subject will you be studying at Newnham? I'm an Arch & Anth girl!

I'm going to be reading Philosophy, and I know that you've probably heard this a thousand times but perhaps the fact that you found the interview easy is a sign that you'll be okay. I know that might sign pretty stupid because the interview is no indication of how the course is gonna be, butwhen I was there I saw people crying because of the interviews.
The interviewers are pretty damn perceptive....even though you may have thought the questions were easy there were probably some subtle bits that you must have picked up on. But it is really daunting, and if we're doing rubbish there's no way of hiding it because of the one to one tutorials!
Good luck in the summer, I know this is easier said than done but dont let the cambridge thing stress you out too much at exam time. One person I know goes there now (she'll be in third year when I start) and she needed three A's and they let her in with 2 A's and a C. Obviously thats not gonna be the same for everyone, and I'm not saying you'll do that (ok now I'm waffling!) but itd be a shame to not do as well purely because of the stress factor!!
So then, I'll probably meet you seen as though you're at the same college.....I looked at your course it looks really cool.
Reply 15
No-one sounded as though they were having a go-its just that I'm a newbie to the forum, just signed up today, and I didnt want to annoy anyone or seem patronising, especially now that I realise a lot of people have a lot more stress to cope with than just nerves!
Reply 16
Suzy_vet
Im nervous, and sometimes i wonder whether it will be the place for me, then i think that i could never have turned them down and accpeted some where else, i would have been kicking myself forever. I think you just have to go for it. Luckily i seemt o know lots of people going, including my best friend. I know 7 people in total with offers (im not from private school, so id say that was quite a lot). But im still going to be nervous, i dont really know anyone at my college except for people i met on a vet day a few weeks ago.

What college is it that you're going to?
Reply 17
Saintsin

Last year someone in my school missed his AAA offer by one mark, i.e. getting AAB. Imagine that...
Reply 18
lotus
I'm going to be reading Philosophy, and I know that you've probably heard this a thousand times but perhaps the fact that you found the interview easy is a sign that you'll be okay. I know that might sign pretty stupid because the interview is no indication of how the course is gonna be, butwhen I was there I saw people crying because of the interviews.
The interviewers are pretty damn perceptive....even though you may have thought the questions were easy there were probably some subtle bits that you must have picked up on. But it is really daunting, and if we're doing rubbish there's no way of hiding it because of the one to one tutorials!
Good luck in the summer, I know this is easier said than done but dont let the cambridge thing stress you out too much at exam time. One person I know goes there now (she'll be in third year when I start) and she needed three A's and they let her in with 2 A's and a C. Obviously thats not gonna be the same for everyone, and I'm not saying you'll do that (ok now I'm waffling!) but itd be a shame to not do as well purely because of the stress factor!!
So then, I'll probably meet you seen as though you're at the same college.....I looked at your course it looks really cool.

The course is amazingly cool, in my opinion the best!!

I didn't mean to say I found the interviews easy, just that they were'nt really that tough on me, not like I was expecting anyway. They were more converstations about my work experiences, areas of interest & opinions on a few things, not really testing my accademic ability for the subject.
Just because I love it doesn't mean I'll be any good at it & they seemed more interested in my enthusiasm rather than ability. Some of the questions did require a bit of thought, but they helped me through them, just a discussion really.
At the time I was pleased they weren't as bad as I was expecting, not now though, I wish they had been awful at least then I'd know if I if they had a true idea of my (sub Cambridge standard) capabilities! I can't help but worry they think I'm cleverer than I am, the fact that uni course or not I'd still be 'into' archaeology and that I can get good grades in subjects not directly related to it doesn't necessarily mean I can do as well at Archaeology as an accademic subject!
They've got it all wrong I tell you!!! I don't think I'm Cambridge material!!! (Still would love to go though, lol!)
Reply 19
Have you accepted? If not then I'd give it some time if you really dont think you're good enough (although you probably are by the sounds of it.)
Have you received any further info from Newnham?
Who was your general interview with?
What clubs do you reckon you'll be joining?
Do you feel like you're being interviewed?!!

Latest

Trending

Trending