Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Have you accepted? If not then I'd give it some time if you really dont think you're good enough (although you probably are by the sounds of it.)
    Have you received any further info from Newnham?
    Who was your general interview with?
    What clubs do you reckon you'll be joining?
    Do you feel like you're being interviewed?!!
    I have accepted my offer, if I didn't think it was even slightly possible I would have withdrawn before they made a decision for the sake of fairness to other applicants. It's only since they made the offer that the doubts are real, I honestly wasn't expecting an offer, so hadn't thought much about it really. I'd be crazy to turn it down if I do get the grades, I love the Cambridge course, & with a career in archaeology its the common joke that there are no jobs ('a career in ruins', lol...sorry!) so anything that can give me that slight advantage when it comes to finding work will be very much appreciated! I intend to either work abroad (Latin America preferably!) or continue studying as long as possible; I have a crazy obsession with learning!

I think I could get the As if I just worked hard, problem is I'm a lazy so & so! I'm doing Chem, Biol (not the best A-Level choices to get As in but ah well...) & Geog in school, but I'm teaching myself A-Level history (timetable clash in school so now I just read books & hope to pass exams!).

I only just accepted my offers on Friday, so not heard anymore from Newnham yet, hopefully I will soon though!

I didn't have a general interview (dunno why!?) I had one with the Archaeology DoS (Dr. Catherine Hills, I think, she was so nice!) & one with the Social Anthropology DoS (Dr. Yael Navro Yashin, I think, again lovely & smiley). That one was so much harder but I put that down to the fact I haven't a clue about the subject, I'm more archaeology orientated! They were both quite general though, each talked about my other interests, hobbies & school subjects etc.

Clubs wise I'm not sure, I'm quite worried I'll find the work very hard & therefore will need more time to keep up with everyone else. I'm a keen hillwalker/mountaineer, love watersports (canoeing, sailing, windsufing etc) I'm a Guidey person but I don't know if the uni or college have anything related to that, but I'll try & attatch myself to a local brownie/guide unit! I will no doubt join some sort of archaeology society/field team etc. I'd love to get involve with some sort of 'action' group, lol, fairtrade campaigns, environmental stuff, debt relief, that kind of thing! I don't know how the system works but would love to help with getting more state school applicants to consider applying, I went into the process blind & still don't know much about the place.

(Why do I get the feeling I'm counting my chickens before they're hatched....I may not even get there!)

Phew, I really need to learn the skill of succintness! Long post.....so sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Yeah, I'm sorry and I know that I'm lucky to get an unconditional. I hope that everyone who has got an offer makes their grades because theres so much pressure and others expect so much. Good luck peeps!x
    Hey, just because you have got an unconditional offer, that doesn't rob you of your constitutional right to worry! I've just accepted an unconditional offer for ASNaC (where you you'd be lucky to get a career in ruins...), and I'm pretty bl***y worried myself (especially about the workload). Oh well, I'd never have turned the offer down, so I suppose I shall just have to see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nervous... but its also more about getting the grades than getting there! oh and finances etc! but hopefullly it will all turn out alright in the end! ?
    But who knows? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    Hey, just because you have got an unconditional offer, that doesn't rob you of your constitutional right to worry! I've just accepted an unconditional offer for ASNaC (where you you'd be lucky to get a career in ruins...), and I'm pretty bl***y worried myself (especially about the workload). Oh well, I'd never have turned the offer down, so I suppose I shall just have to see how it goes.

Thankyou! Which college have you got an unconditional from? Are you post-alevel or just a sooooper geeenius for getting an unconditional. Why ASNaC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogs)
    I'm nervous... but its also more about getting the grades than getting there! oh and finances etc! but hopefullly it will all turn out alright in the end! ?
    But who knows? :confused:

I was really worried about finances because I've had quite bad domestic problems and have supported myself since I was 16, thus I have no-oneto fall back on if things go wrong. However, the colleges are always willing to help the needy. Although it did bother me that there are going to be a lot of mega mega rich people there. Not that I've got anything against them of course, but I wouldnt want to feel different. At the end of the day though there are people there from all different backgrounds and circumstances, and I'm really lucky to have been offered a place.

What subject did you apply for and at which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    I was really worried about finances because I've had quite bad domestic problems and have supported myself since I was 16, thus I have no-oneto fall back on if things go wrong. However, the colleges are always willing to help the needy. Although it did bother me that there are going to be a lot of mega mega rich people there. Not that I've got anything against them of course, but I wouldnt want to feel different. At the end of the day though there are people there from all different backgrounds and circumstances, and I'm really lucky to have been offered a place.

What subject did you apply for and at which college?
    I can't say that i support myself or anything! but we certainly have financial problems... single mum, 3 kids etc low wage... so am going to apply for as many grants as i can! + hopefully will manage!
    Architecture/Trinity Hall

ReputationRep:
    When I was going for my interview there were so many architects applying............apparently is was over subscribed this year so you did really well. The potential candidates also said that the interviews were a killer..........how did you find them? Why Trinity Hall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    if you're a single mum with three kids, you'll probably be entitled to the cambridge special assessment scheme (CSAS).
    no dude... i am one of the 3 kids! lol! I was outlying my background... but obviously not articulately... lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    When I was going for my interview there were so many architects applying............apparently is was over subscribed this year so you did really well. The potential candidates also said that the interviews were a killer..........how did you find them? Why Trinity Hall?
    I hate to say it... because it sounds really big headed... but the interview was just like talking to a relative about my art work for 40 mins and the admissions interview, having a general chat about architecture in london for 20 mins...
    To be honest i came away let down as the school had drilled everyone into thinking that it was the most challenging experience of a life time... and no questions were challenging... i actually wanted to be asked a real problem solver... as it gets your brain going! lol!
    But it may have been easier for me as i didn't really mind where i ended up, because it is you that makes the degree what it is rather than the teachers, [but they can help!] I also lived in a pub for 3 years so I can talk to anyone, about anything! lol
    Trinity Hall, well I couldn't go to open days, because i was going on a World Challenge expedition to Brazil at the time, having raised all the funds.
    So the application dates came and i didn't have a clue which college to apply to, I liked Clare, but our school has a policy of not allowing more than one student to apply to any college and the amazingly clever person was applying there, so i had to think about it!
    I went through the perspectus and thought bout what i wanted, and basically the things were, medium sized, central, old, near the river, pretty gardens, and the decision came down to essay or not! lol i chose the not!
    It has warmed to me since as it has a nice black and white scarf! and decent college shield! lol
    How bout you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogs)
    I hate to say it... because it sounds really big headed... but the interview was just like talking to a relative about my art work for 40 mins and the admissions interview, having a general chat about architecture in london for 20 mins...
    To be honest i came away let down as the school had drilled everyone into thinking that it was the most challenging experience of a life time... and no questions were challenging... i actually wanted to be asked a real problem solver... as it gets your brain going! lol!
    But it may have been easier for me as i didn't really mind where i ended up, because it is you that makes the degree what it is rather than the teachers, [but they can help!] I also lived in a pub for 3 years so I can talk to anyone, about anything! lol
    Trinity Hall, well I couldn't go to open days, because i was going on a World Challenge expedition to Brazil at the time, having raised all the funds.
    So the application dates came and i didn't have a clue which college to apply to, I liked Clare, but our school has a policy of not allowing more than one student to apply to any college and the amazingly clever person was applying there, so i had to think about it!
    I went through the perspectus and thought bout what i wanted, and basically the things were, medium sized, central, old, near the river, pretty gardens, and the decision came down to essay or not! lol i chose the not!
    It has warmed to me since as it has a nice black and white scarf! and decent college shield! lol
    How bout you?

I'm going to Newnham to do Philosophy. I really liked the college ethos, its opposite the Philosophy building, you can even walk on the grass there!! And anyway, you got into cambridge, you must be pretty amazingly clever yourself.......your a-levels arent exactly easy! I'm teaching myself a-level maths at the mo because I'm on a gap year and want to keep my brain working and i'm finding it really cool but quite difficult in places...especially when I dont really have any feedback from anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Although it did bother me that there are going to be a lot of mega mega rich people there.
    Bleh, not really. Most people are in the same boat - living independently on pathetic amounts of student loan. There are one or two majorly rich people, but they are not the norm at all. In fact, one of my friends whose parents are on a lower income than mine actually has more money because she gets a full loan and then about £1500 extra in grants. Whereas I'm on less than full loan; my room is more expensive and my parents aren't making up the maintenance costs that according to the assessment they're meant to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Bleh, not really. Most people are in the same boat - living independently on pathetic amounts of student loan. There are one or two majorly rich people, but they are not the norm at all. In fact, one of my friends whose parents are on a lower income than mine actually has more money because she gets a full loan and then about £1500 extra in grants. Whereas I'm on less than full loan; my room is more expensive and my parents aren't making up the maintenance costs that according to the assessment they're meant to.
    Hey I'm not feeling sorry for myself or anything! And I didnt mean to stereotype either. How much is your room(and which college are you at)? And how much do you spend a week altogether usually?

ReputationRep:
    need any help just msg me ! I know what teaching yourself is like for furthermaths... but at least i can ask a teacher if i need any help! lol! M4 argh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogs)
    need any help just msg me ! I know what teaching yourself is like for furthermaths... but at least i can ask a teacher if i need any help! lol! M4 argh!
    Thanks! How long is your degree..is it 7 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    There are one or two majorly rich people, but they are not the norm at all.
    I agree. Here also mega rich people are not the norm, but they exist. The other day me and some friends were saying how crappy it would be to be a housewife. This girl said "my mum's a housewife", and then my next door neighbour (who went to CLC) said "oh my mum's a housewife I suppose. But then again we do have a maid"!!! Of course we all crcked up, and then she said that they took their maid on holiday with them because it cost less than hiring the maids at the exclusive holiday resort!! Lol, some people live in a different world....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Thanks! How long is your degree..is it 7 years?
    yeap!well maybe 6 but i plan to take a gap year with my year in industry funds...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I agree. Here also mega rich people are not the norm, but they exist. The other day me and some friends were saying how crappy it would be to be a housewife. This girl said "my mum's a housewife", and then my next door neighbour (who went to CLC) said "oh my mum's a housewife I suppose. But then again we do have a maid"!!! Of course we all crcked up, and then she said that they took their maid on holiday with them because it cost less than hiring the maids at the exclusive holiday resort!! Lol, some people live in a different world....

lol know what you mean! + i certainly do![live in the real world!]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Hey I'm not feeling sorry for myself or anything! And I didnt mean to stereotype either. How much is your room(and which college are you at)? And how much do you spend a week altogether usually?
    My room is £660 a term; it's probably one of the most expensive sets in the college. (Clare ) I have no idea how much I spend every week, which is a bad thing. This week has been rather expensive as I've been out to formal hall 4 times, plus various other things. Other weeks I can get by on £20, it all depends what you do. This term I haven't been drinking, which has been a lot cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    lol i can see i'll be one of those who knows exactly how much i've spent, and have left! argh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    Thankyou! Which college have you got an unconditional from? Are you post-alevel or just a sooooper geeenius for getting an unconditional. Why ASNaC?
    I got the offer from St. John's, and I chose ASNaC because I liked the interdisciplinary nature of the course (a bit of languages, literature, history, archaeology etc.). I'm not a super genius (unfortunately) but am applying post A-level (or, rather, post-the Danish equivelant of A-levels).

The scary thing about applying as an international student is that you have absolutely no idea about how the difficulty and amount of work will compare to what you are use to. But as I said, I will do my best to get through since I would never have turned down an offer from Cambridge.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.