Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    I got the offer from St. John's, and I chose ASNaC because I liked the interdisciplinary nature of the course (a bit of languages, literature, history, archaeology etc.). I'm am not a super genius (unfortunately) but am applying post A-level (or, rather, post-the Danish equivelant of A-levels).

The scary thing about applying as an international student is that you have absolutely no idea about how the difficulty and amount of work will compare to what you are use to. But as I said, I will do my best to get through since I would never have turned down an offer from Cambridge.
    I'm sure you'll be fine, what a-levels (or equivalent) did you do? Do you know anyone else going to cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus)
    I'm sure you'll be fine, what a-levels (or equivalent) did you do? Do you know anyone else going to cambridge?
    It's really difficult to compare what I did to A-levels, because we do about fifteen subjects at different levels. I did Danish, English, History, Political Science and Maths at the highest level. I certainly don't know anyone else going to Cambridge, and don't know of anyone from here who has been there (as an undergraduate).

It is very different in Denmark because we have no elite universities, and it is usually not that difficult to get a place for the course you want. This means that our equivelant of A-levels is a bit more laid back, and at the time I just concentrated on the subjects I liked, and let anything else slide :rolleyes: Since then, I have been reading law for almost three years, and worked at a couple of museums in my spare time, and i think this compensated for my non-amazing results at school.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Lotus, I'm a Newnhamite - it's brilliant. Trust me you will be too busy to worry about anything once you're here. If you have any Qs about Newnham or Cam. just send me a PM.

Haz xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Im nervous, and sometimes i wonder whether it will be the place for me, then i think that i could never have turned them down and accpeted some where else, i would have been kicking myself forever. I think you just have to go for it. Luckily i seemt o know lots of people going, including my best friend. I know 7 people in total with offers (im not from private school, so id say that was quite a lot). But im still going to be nervous, i dont really know anyone at my college except for people i met on a vet day a few weeks ago.

wow, 7 people? I know, wait a minute... I know none. Out of 8 applicants, I am the only person in my school who got an offer. So I don't know anyone at all. So yeah, I'm terrified!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am nervous about the following things in no particular order:

(i) Living in Fen Country away from all my friends in London
    (ii) Adapting to having no money (after having recieved a comfortable salary)
    (iii) Fitting in with people with whom I may have nothing in common
    (iv) Suddenly realising I cannot cope with the work
    (v) Not having enough time to play sport
    (vi) Not liking my college/course
    (vii) Spending 3 years working my arse off and not being able to find a job that is sufficient

But I guess everyone has similar concerns, huh?

ReputationRep:
    hehe yeah pretty much the same. all my friends are staying in liverpool or going northwards- i.e newcastl/manchester/durham. i know quite a few people going to camb one girl is going to my college as well, but we'll inevitably get separated cos of different course etc. im not too bothered about not making friends/not having anything in common with anyone there, moreso the work really.....i'm soi lazy i dunno how i managed to pass my AS levels....speaking of which, coursework deadlines beckon (attempts to bury head in books)

ReputationRep:
    Would a simple Yes suffice?
    A2s are coming real quick, and i need 3A's or else I'm screwed. But somehow, I haven't shifted to high-gear yet (do I have one?). And it worries me. Missing my offer. That's what's digging me.

Being in a foreign land? Not much of a concern. I've been living away from home for over a year now.
    Being chucked into the midst of strangers? Looking forward! And besides, 9 people from my college (7 from my class) have offers too!

Although there is one slight concern that's more long-term - the very heavy pound!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Hey,

(i) Living in Fen Country away from all my friends in London
    (ii) Adapting to having no money (after having recieved a comfortable salary)
    (iii) Fitting in with people with whom I may have nothing in common
    (iv) Suddenly realising I cannot cope with the work
    (v) Not having enough time to play sport
    (vi) Not liking my college/course
    (vii) Spending 3 years working my arse off and not being able to find a job that is sufficient

.....further to this I am somewhat concerned that I might get swept off my bike by the winds from Russia.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

(i) Living in Fen Country away from all my friends in London - yeah, the fens are a scary place.. the flatness alone is enough to drive you insane...
    (ii) Adapting to having no money (after having recieved a comfortable salary) - hehe. It's fun. You'll love it.
    (iii) Fitting in with people with whom I may have nothing in common - everybody thinks this, everybody finds people - you'll be fine, I promise. People on your course, people from your college, people you just randomly bump into - there WILL be plenty of people you get along with
    (iv) Suddenly realising I cannot cope with the work - yeah, the work's a bit of a shock. You kind of just have to keep your head above water during term-time and then do the real work in the holidays, but it'll be OK - just make sure you don't work all the time (or you go nuts like those funny Christs people)
    (v) Not having enough time to play sport - TRUST me, you will have time for sport. If you're good at it, your college will place a noose around your neck and drag you to practices. Anyway, you're doing arch&anth - they generally seem to be OK timewise
    (vi) Not liking my college/course - you will. If you don't like the course you can degrade - ie restart the first year doing a different subject. Quite a few people do that. Disliking your college is very rare (even if you do you can hang out at the others)
    (vii) Spending 3 years working my arse off and not being able to find a job that is sufficient - job? What's that?

ReputationRep:
    Degrade? Hell no.......I just could not waste a year like that. I don't think I will not like my subject to the extent that I am willing to waste a year. Does it really happen that often? That is pretty bad I think.....

How have people been able to justify the change of heart to the nice tutors that admitted them? And long vacation reading lists must be a nightmare!!!!!
    Some people degrade because they've been ill, others because they want to change their subject - when I say quite a few, I know two people in the 'first year' in Sidney who are really second years but degraded. One was ill, the other switched to SPS from something like Geography (can't remember exactly). There are two people in my year who are degrading due to absence, and they're both using the opportunity to switch from natsci to medicine (well trying anyway, although with the quotas this is quite a complicated and difficult process).

The tutors are usually pretty understanding though: once they've got you, they want to keep you, even if it means you switch subjects. Of course it depends on the tutor you have, I suppose. My tutor happens to be the nicest guy in the world and he really would have bent over backwards if he had to when I reached crisis point (and don't be panicked by that - I'm just, shall we say, susceptible to pressure sometimes), but I guess some might not be so nice about it. It's perfectly possible to switch subjects for Part II though, and not (from what I understand of it) very much hassle. But all this is irrelevant anyway because I'm sure you'll love your subject

ReputationRep:
    LOL, how could anyone not love arch & anth!
    I think after my constant proffessions of love for archaeology, I'd be too ashamed to even consider changing courses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Some people degrade because they've been ill, others because they want to change their subject - when I say quite a few, I know two people in the 'first year' in Sidney who are really second years but degraded. One was ill, the other switched to SPS from something like Geography (can't remember exactly). There are two people in my year who are degrading due to absence, and they're both using the opportunity to switch from natsci to medicine (well trying anyway, although with the quotas this is quite a complicated and difficult process).

The tutors are usually pretty understanding though: once they've got you, they want to keep you, even if it means you switch subjects. Of course it depends on the tutor you have, I suppose. My tutor happens to be the nicest guy in the world and he really would have bent over backwards if he had to when I reached crisis point (and don't be panicked by that - I'm just, shall we say, susceptible to pressure sometimes), but I guess some might not be so nice about it. It's perfectly possible to switch subjects for Part II though, and not (from what I understand of it) very much hassle. But all this is irrelevant anyway because I'm sure you'll love your subject
    Well I have to say, this is quite nice to know.......although, if the course lives up to its description in the prospectus, then I am sure I'll love it.

What I dont understand is, how could someone doing, say, Part 1 Natsci, change to Part 2 Law......

ReputationRep:
    Well I have to say, this is quite nice to know.......although, if the course lives up to its description in the prospectus, then I am sure I'll love it.

What I dont understand is, how could someone doing, say, Part 1 Natsci, change to Part 2 Law......

I think they raise their eyebrows a bit if you swap to anything too bizarre... I know a mathmo who's swapping to astrophysics for his third year though, and I think it's not unheard of to switch from history to SPS etc... (someone help me out here!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I think they raise their eyebrows a bit if you swap to anything too bizarre... I know a mathmo who's swapping to astrophysics for his third year though, and I think it's not unheard of to switch from history to SPS etc... (someone help me out here!!)

Your language almost suggests that the option/right to swap is a given and the tutors may only offer judgement!

I guess it would seem suspicious for a scientist to have suddenly developed an interest in the arts!

ReputationRep:
    Your language almost suggests that the option/right to swap is a given and the tutors may only offer judgement!

I guess it would seem suspicious for a scientist to have suddenly developed an interest in the arts!

Sorry, should have said want to swap, lol! I don't think you can just go your own merry way...

ReputationRep:
    I thougth what you did was swapping from part 1 of something to part 1 of something else...

ReputationRep:
    I thougth what you did was swapping from part 1 of something to part 1 of something else...

Well it seems that people can often swap to part 2 of something else ........

In fact, for LE it was always like this at one point. You would do part 1 in Economics or Geog, and then Part 2 in LE. There was no part 1 LE.

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems that people can often swap to part 2 of something else ........

In fact, for LE it was always like this at one point. You would do part 1 in Economics or Geog, and then Part 2 in LE. There was no part 1 LE.
    You'd have to be pretty confident though wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to be pretty confident though wouldn't you?
    How do you mean?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.