Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    on so many of these threads ppl keep saying the Durham is full of Oxbridge rejects and wanabees!!! Some of us, who had the grades to get into oxbridge actually just want to go to durham,and didnt apply to oxbridge at all, as shocking as that may seem to some ppl! it is a good university in itself and although it may have the same collegiate system as oxbridge so does lancaster and york but i dont hear anyone comparing them!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstenb)
    on so many of these threads ppl keep saying the Durham is full of Oxbridge rejects and wanabees!!! Some of us, who had the grades to get into oxbridge actually just want to go to durham,and didnt apply to oxbridge at all, as shocking as that may seem to some ppl! it is a good university in itself and although it may have the same collegiate system as oxbridge so does lancaster and york but i dont hear anyone comparing them!!!!
    chill.. I understand. Don't care about what others said..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who applies to Oxbridge applies to Durham too.

ReputationRep:
    No disrespect to Durham, who and why would anyone choose Durham over Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Everyone who applies to Oxbridge applies to Durham too.
    No, they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    No, they don't.

A bloody lot do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    A bloody lot do.
    Perhaps...but IME nowhere near as many as you would expect.

Of course, that doesn't stop Durham being packed full of those who do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    No disrespect to Durham, who and why would anyone choose Durham over Oxbridge?
    Environment, Geographical Location, Friends are but just a few reasons why they might do so. They might be more reasons....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunice)
    Environment, Geographical Location, Friends are but just a few reasons why they might do so. They might be more reasons....
    Going to Durham instead of oxbridge for geographical location and environment?

:confused: :confused:

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i.e. maybe it's closer to home? they prefer the old cathedral?

ReputationRep:

:confused: :confused:

erm thewolf I know this sounds weird to you, but some people do choose other unis over oxbridge. I must admit I wouldn't choose durham of all places, more like LSE/imperial but hey it's their choice. Sounds like you love oxbridge for the name rather than what goes on inside of it. Hmm like an oxbridge obsession! I suspect you will be applying for it right? What happens if you don't get in? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    erm thewolf I know this sounds weird to you, but some people do choose other unis over oxbridge. I must admit I wouldn't choose durham of all places, more like LSE/imperial but hey it's their choice. Sounds like you love oxbridge for the name rather than what goes on inside of it. Hmm like an oxbridge obsession! I suspect you will be applying for it right? What happens if you don't get in? lol

no dont get me wrong! I mean it is incredibly difficult to get into oxbridge, much harder than getting into Durham. Oxbridge's environment is also very nice, but should the environment be the priority - no. I probably won't get in oxbridge, but that is not the point at all. It is just that surely any rational people would choose oxbridge over durham. I am almost certain that degrees from oxbridge will give you a much bigger salary in future on average, because of its international prestige...etc. This one factor obviously outweighs other ones e.g.environment lol

ReputationRep:
    Even if most people in Durham are Oxbridge rejects (which I don't think is the case), why should that be a bad thing? As someone who was rejected by Oxford I find it rather offensive that the presence of myself and people in the same position as me should be regarded as such a dreadful thing for a university.

ReputationRep:
    no dont get me wrong! I mean it is incredibly difficult to get into oxbridge, much harder than getting into Durham. Oxbridge's environment is also very nice, but should the environment be the priority - no. I probably won't get in oxbridge, but that is not the point at all. It is just that surely any rational people would choose oxbridge over durham. I am almost certain that degrees from oxbridge will give you a much bigger salary in future on average, because of its international prestige...etc. This one factor obviously outweighs other ones e.g.environment lol
    Plenty of rational people would chose Durham, or other universities, over Oxbridge. Some people may simply not want to go there for various different reasons. And not everybody is just interested in how big their salary is going to be- there are more important things in life. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Plenty of rational people would chose Durham, or other universities, over Oxbridge. Some people may simply not want to go there for various different reasons. And not everybody is just interested in how big their salary is going to be- there are more important things in life. :rolleyes:
    and what are these more important things that you can get from durham but not oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure I agree with you about the bigger salaries thing. I say this becaus other things won't ever be equal. For example, if you went to oxford, it's going to be harder to get a 1st and you may get a 2:2, whereas if you went to durham, it may be a little easier to get that first and I reckon for something like law, a 1st from durham is better than a 2:2 from say oxford, so the fella with the 1st from durham is more likely to have a higher salary. Also enviroment is a factor if you are comparing say LSE and oxbridge. You might thrive on city life leading to a higher class, again meaning a greater salary if you're at LSE, rather than oxbridge.
    A degree from there will certainly help, but it isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of non-oxbridge grads earning higher wages than oxbridge grads. You're not your degree/university.

ReputationRep:
    and what are these more important things that you can get from durham but not oxbridge
    Well, I think I know what's the problem with you :P hehe...

I believe you must understand not everybody is similar. In fact, no two person are identical. That of course encompass the way of thinking. What you may think is pragmatic may not appear so to others. What might appear to others as lucrative might not appear the same to you. And it's perhaps rather wrong to assume that what you think is the best, is the best. I hope you get what I am driving at

But well, we all know that you are trying to be helpful, giving the best advice, in your opinions

ReputationRep:
    Everyone except two people I met at Durham in January was an Oxbridge reject; one person didn't apply to Oxbridge (didn't see themselves as good enough) and the other had an offer at Cambridge. Durham is traditionally seen as an Oxbridge reject university, along with Bristol; Durham and Bristol are rivals to each other.

J.

ReputationRep:
    Look, you are clearly under a great misapprehension here, not everyone good enough to go to Oxbridge applies ok? Without meaning to sound big headed, the reason I chose not to apply to Oxbridge was not because I didn't think I was good enough, (I have the same qualifications as others who have been accepted - 7A* 3A at GCSE, predicted AAAA at A level) it was because I didn't like the English course. It isn't suited to my interests, and frankly the Oxford English course in particular looked really dry.

I also come from a highly pressurised secondary school, it has to be as it's the 3rd best in the country, and personally I didn't want such a continuation at university, I wanted somewhere a bit more chilled. Also, having knowledge of the stereotypical Oxbridge-goer (I see them everyday at school) I would rather be anywhere else than with those blue-stockings.

On this basis, I chose not to apply to Oxbridge, regardless of what it would do for my career/salary/whatever. Incidentally I applied to Durham, and this was on it's own merits. I like the idea of a collegiate system, and (as are others I'm sure) am quite insulted at the suggestion that those who choose Durham over Oxbridge are "irrational".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Look, you are clearly under a great misapprehension here, not everyone good enough to go to Oxbridge applies ok? Without meaning to sound big headed, but the reason I chose not to apply to Oxbridge was not because I didn't think I was good enough, (I have the same qualifications as others who have been accepted - 7A* 3A at GCSE, predicted AAAA at A level) it was because I didn't like the English course. It isn't suited to my interests, and frankly the Oxford English course in particular looked really dry.

I also come from a highly pressurised secondary school, it has to be as it's the 3rd best in the country, and personally I didn't want such a continuation at university, I wanted somewhere a bit more chilled. Also, having knowledge of the stereotypical Oxbridge-goer (I see them everyday at school) I would rather be anywhere else than with those blue-stockings.

On this basis, I chose not to apply to Oxbridge, regardless of what it would do for my career/salary/whatever. Incidentally I applied to Durham, and this was on it's own merits. I like the idea of a collegiate system, and (as are others I'm sure) am quite insulted at the suggestion that those who choose Durham over Oxbridge are "irrational".
    *clap* *clap* well said...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.