Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by starry)
    Please don't let this be true
    was the same at nottingham, only one 1st last year, i think you'll find its the same pretty much everywhere, a first in an arts subject is *very* hard to get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I am not sure I agree with you about the bigger salaries thing. I say this becaus other things won't ever be equal. For example, if you went to oxford, it's going to be harder to get a 1st and you may get a 2:2, whereas if you went to durham, it may be a little easier to get that first and I reckon for something like law, a 1st from durham is better than a 2:2 from say oxford, so the fella with the 1st from durham is more likely to have a higher salary. Also enviroment is a factor if you are comparing say LSE and oxbridge. You might thrive on city life leading to a higher class, again meaning a greater salary if you're at LSE, rather than oxbridge.
    A degree from there will certainly help, but it isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of non-oxbridge grads earning higher wages than oxbridge grads. You're not your degree/university.
    so if i get a 1st with hons from brunel plus do a masters would i prob have a higher salary that a 2:2 from uxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    well i was a durham reject and i got into oxbridge!lol

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Durham and hope to go there. My college gave me the chance to apply to oxbridge but I turned it down - I just knew I wouldn't be happy there.

Now of course as I'm applying for Psychology I can't apply there anyway (and wouldn't)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Here, here!
    I am similar to you in that I also have the good grades, great ps etc but decided against oxbridge for a number of reasons, in particular the course too. I am doing comp sci at uni, and cambridge only lets you do 50% comp sci in the first yr which is ridiculous. On top of that, you have to do 25% physics (i hate physics) which totally put me off. The oxford course looked okay but it's not very highly rated for comp sci at all, and all the stress i would have to go thru to try and get in, wasn't worth it for ox. Also, I *really* want to be in London so three of my choices were london colleges.
    Not blowing my own trumpet but I reckon I would have had as good a chance as any to get in, with quite a few extra things in my favour. A couple of my sciency friends (diff sciences) were annoyed at the ease in which i got into places like imperial when they had very hard interviews there, but also have places at cambridge. Infact all my univ choices were pretty similar to my sciency friends who applied (some getting in) to oxbridge, apart from the one obviously.
    There are some other places in the country which can give you an education as good as oxbridge or better.
    e.g econ at LSE, comp sci at Imperial (where i'll hopefully be if i make grades) and law at Durham
    Other places in the UK very rarely give you as good an education. Esp. your e.g. of LSE, goodness no, the department may well be prestigious, however they severely neglect their students. Most of the top univs with the exception of Oxbridge pay little attention to their students-youre essentially left to make it on your own. At the LSE the only serious concern is a 5/5* on the RAE. Same with quite a few of the other universities that people often talk about on this newsgroup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    so youre happier stressing out for 3/4 years in aspiration of a better degree therefore better job.. going into a highly stressful city job ... taking years off your life... getting wrinkles by the age of 30... and never having time for a social life? i realise this is GROSS generalisation
    Yes, you're right, it IS a gross generalisation, and one that's really starting to piss by off. As an Oxford student I'm fed up of people thinking that all I can do with my life is become an investment banker or management consultant. I just know that kind of thing is not for me, and I want to do something a bit more socially responsible and which isn't likely to give me a heart attack. I have a social life, and I'm not doing too badly academically either. It is possible. Yes, there is a lot of work, but so what? I'm sure there is a lot of work everywhere. And if networking is important you, seriously, there is NO better place on EARTH to network than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Yes, you're right, it IS a gross generalisation, and one that's really starting to piss by off. As an Oxford student I'm fed up of people thinking that all I can do with my life is become an investment banker or management consultant. I just know that kind of thing is not for me, and I want to do something a bit more socially responsible and which isn't likely to give me a heart attack. I have a social life, and I'm not doing too badly academically either. It is possible. Yes, there is a lot of work, but so what? I'm sure there is a lot of work everywhere. And if networking is important you, seriously, there is NO better place on EARTH to network than Oxford.
    well good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    No disrespect to Durham, who and why would anyone choose Durham over Oxbridge?
    Although Oxford is a beautiful place and got great qudos i actually think that the corse im applying for is much better at Durham so i think that it generally depends on what courses and aspects of the unis ur luky at as to which one you regard as the more prestigious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel18)
    Although Oxford is a beautiful place and got great qudos i actually think that the corse im applying for is much better at Durham so i think that it generally depends on what courses and aspects of the unis ur luky at as to which one you regard as the more prestigious
    I preferred the english course at Durham to Oxford's, and didn't like the city of Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to do philosophy and when I was applying, I wanted to go to the best schools for that subject, if that included oxbridge and Durham, so be it. I didn't really think any higher of them, I just want to get the best out of what I'm studying...
    Although it must be noted...I am a Cambridge reject and got accepted to Durham.

JoKing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoKing)
    I'm planning to do philosophy and when I was applying, I wanted to go to the best schools for that subject, if that included oxbridge and Durham, so be it. I didn't really think any higher of them, I just want to get the best out of what I'm studying...
    Although it must be noted...I am a Cambridge reject and got accepted to Durham.

JoKing.
    We can perpetuate Durham's "Oxbridge rejects" image, you and I...*grin*

ReputationRep:
    Oooh...I'm a full member ...wahay!

ReputationRep:
    Um... I am a Cambridge reject, so I'm perpetuating the stereotype, too.

ReputationRep:
    There will be a large number of Durham rejects at cambridge. Myself included.

ReputationRep:
    Your bday is 1 day after mine...random im an oxford reject

Edited to say: By "Your", i mean Ralfskini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenkennykenken)
    Your bday is 1 day after mine...random im an oxford reject

Edited to say: By "Your", i mean Ralfskini

Cool. Hope you dont have any exams on your birthday then! Luckily I dont this year but I had a german oral two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Nah luckily no exams on that day, my first exam isnt until 21st May (Physics Unifying Concepts argg)

ReputationRep:
    When people fill up most of their 6 choices, they will invariably choose unis of similar standards. Other good unis such as LSE, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick, Notts.. (endless list) probably are filled with 'oxbridge rejects' too. This whole 'Oxbridge rejects at Durham' is getting stale now.

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    When people fill up most of their 6 choices, they will invariably choose unis of similar standards. Other good unis such as LSE, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick, Notts.. (endless list) probably are filled with 'oxbridge rejects' too. This whole 'Oxbridge rejects at Durham' is getting stale now.

xoxo
    I agree, but Durham has been around for longer than any of the others, so it is the original Oxbridge reject place.

ReputationRep:
    Also, it doesn't really matter if we get rejected by Durham or Oxbridge, does it? As long as we all get a gd university, it shouldn't really matter... And anyway, rejection just builds strength of character...or at least, that's what I tell myself...sad, really....LOL.

JoKing.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.