Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by JoKing)
    Also, it doesn't really matter if we get rejected by Durham or Oxbridge, does it? As long as we all get a gd university, it shouldn't really matter...
    Spot on!!! People on this forum seem to be of the opinion that going to Oxbridge, LSE, IC, UCL Notts, Warwick etc.. is the most important thing in the world. These people really need to remove thier heads from thier *bleep*'s and they might even notice that people careers and lives are not based on the prestige of thier university, instead they are based on the work that the individual puts in plus a little bit of fortune along the way.

Getting back to the original post...Durham is a very good university, Oxbridge are very good universities. Its stands to reason, that given 6 choices, strong candidates would pick Durham as one and an Oxbridge uni as the another. :rolleyes: The same can be said of Nottingham, Warwick, York, IC, KCL, Manchester, LSE, Bristol etc... I would challenge any unsuccessful Oxbridge applicant to deny that they have applied to any of the unis I have mentioned!!!

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I'm pretty pleased to be going to a university that has a lot of Oxbridge rejects. After all, let's face it -
    -Almost everyone that gets an offer from Oxbridge will take it.
    -They will, therefore, be at Oxbridge.
    -Most people good enough will apply to Oxbridge.
    -Oxbridge turn away loads of people that, even they admit, could be successful there.

Therefore, it stands to reason that a place filled with people that just missed out on Oxbridge are going to be pretty damn clever. If, like I am, you're an Oxbridge reject (Cam for me), what better place to study than a place where other people have, like you, just missed out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirki)
    Eh, I'm pretty pleased to be going to a university that has a lot of Oxbridge rejects. After all, let's face it -
    -Almost everyone that gets an offer from Oxbridge will take it.
    -They will, therefore, be at Oxbridge.
    -Most people good enough will apply to Oxbridge.
    -Oxbridge turn away loads of people that, even they admit, could be successful there.

Therefore, it stands to reason that a place filled with people that just missed out on Oxbridge are going to be pretty damn clever. If, like I am, you're an Oxbridge reject (Cam for me), what better place to study than a place where other people have, like you, just missed out?
    I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    That is a fair point, Kirki. I mean, sometimes it's just the luck of the draw...Doesn't make you any less or more than neone that got in.
    So we should all just have a f**king great time at Durham...and say, gd luck to Oxbridge ppl and move on.

JoKing.

I visited durham last month and roughly 1/2 of all the other applicants had applied oxbridge, not one of them have been made an offer..there must be some truth in the stereotype as there are so many similarities between durham and oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    I've just this minute accepted Durham (Van Mildert) as my firm choice, thereby rejecting Oxford. Two sides to the coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod)
    I've just this minute accepted Durham (Van Mildert) as my firm choice, thereby rejecting Oxford. Two sides to the coin.
    Cool, what will you be reading?

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats brave! You must have really loved Durham!!

ReputationRep:
    Yay go you!!!!

I have now officially accepted Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Yay go you!!!!

I have now officially accepted Durham
    Oooh...goody! See you in lectures then... (How bizarre saying that, and it being true, lol)....plus, you'll be my neighbour

ReputationRep:
    I did really love Durham, yes. Especially Van Mildert. I will be reading Engineering.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.