The Student Room Group

What are the chances?

We had a presentation on UCAS today and it has really started to get me worried. I have always said I have wanted to become a vet, but only now have I begun to think about it seriously. I'm doing my AS levels at the mo and studying Chemistry, Biology, Ethics & Philosophy and Product Design. I would probably drop the latter at AS. So, what are the real chances of me getting into one of the uni's? Is it *really* that competitive to get into? Of course, I would try to get the maximum amount of work experience that I can. Do you think ethics & philosophy is a sound enough third subject? I'm quite able, so hopefully shall get A's in all at the end. I say hopefully! I just don't know what to do - I'm torn between this and something like interior design. I don't know if I'm making sense, just needed to share my worries :P
Reply 1
Your Biology & Chemistry a-levels are perfect however I'm not too sure if the Ethics & Philosophy would go down well. The Vet schools seem to prefer traditional subjects; I know the two Scottish unis will only consider the three sciences & maths, similarly for Cambridge.
RVC would be a good place to try, you should contact their admissions people, they included Geography in my offer.
I’m sure other people will know more about the other Vet schools view on 'non-traditional' subjects.
As far as competition goes, Yes it is that competitive...but not impossible. Statistically I think it is still the most competitive course to get onto, although the addition of Nottingham will now probably change this :mad:
If it’s what you really want to do go for it! You will have to be 110% committed to get through the course, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Good luck
For christs sake Hawk, Nottingham will bring about some changes, but they won't be that drastic, otherwise the whole thing never would have been allowed to happen would it?!
They have stolen the lovely Jon Huxley from Bristol though. Grrr!
Hawk
Your Biology & Chemistry a-levels are perfect however I'm not too sure if the Ethics & Philosophy would go down well. The Vet schools seem to prefer traditional subjects; I know the two Scottish unis will only consider the three sciences & maths, similarly for Cambridge.
RVC would be a good place to try, you should contact their admissions people, they included Geography in my offer.
I’m sure other people will know more about the other Vet schools view on 'non-traditional' subjects.
As far as competition goes, Yes it is that competitive...but not impossible. Statistically I think it is still the most competitive course to get onto, although the addition of Nottingham will now probably change this :mad:
If it’s what you really want to do go for it! You will have to be 110% committed to get through the course, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Good luck

Actually Cambridge will accept just chemistry (+ 2 other a levels) if you're really amazing. Contact the colleges first. But you certainly need top grades in AS. Goo luck - and get that work experience sorted now - so its done over the summer and you have LOADS to write on your personal statement. Try working in a vets and it will make the decision for you - if you like going, can take the patronising, and don't mind being the cleaner, tea maker and general lowest of the low person then you probly have the determination for a vet degree, cos it aint easy!

And on a side note I think Law is the statistically most difficult course to get on - but dont hold me to that!!! :smile:
Reply 5
Well to kind of conjure up a picture of the competition; picture a room, fill it with 30 ambitious, hard working committed people all determined to be a vet and then think that just 3 of those will get into vet school... it is competitive no question but don't let that put you off- if it does then perhaps that says your not cut out for the course!! Anyone can get there as long as there prepared to work for it and do reasonably well at school!!!

That third subject, like hawk said, should be fine for the RVC, probs Liverpool but you'll have to check about the others!! Get in touch with the unis but it really should be OK!!!

Get as much, varied work experience as possible and try to cram in some unusual ones that they will be interested in e.g. zoos abattoirs etc!!

Course you have a chance!!! But you'll have to forget about interior design now if you want to become a vet- it requires full focus to get into it!!! Hope this helps, it certainly isn't impossible- I remember reading the horror stories on the internet about people who seem perfect and still got rejected, but put all your effort in and it will be well within your reach!! Good luck!!!!

Oh yeah and Nottingham hasn't really altered the competition- the other vet schools have less places instead apparantly!
Reply 6
For the RVC =

GCE Advanced/A2
Three subjects including Biology and Chemistry and one other subject of your choice, which does not overlap (excluding General Studies). There is no third subject which is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process.

so email them all and they'll answer you!!!

Vet In Progress
They have stolen the lovely Jon Huxley from Bristol though. Grrr!

I know, they've "stolen" a really good lecturer (possibly more in future) from us as well, more grrr's me thinks!
Reply 7
In 2005, total number of applicants was 1,127- Couldn't find the exact figure for how many places offered- about 650 I guess?
Bristol had 8.5 applicants per place but it varies, obviously more places at RVC so I'd assume the ratio is lower.

From Cambridge Website
3. Can my third A level be a non-science subject, and which non-science subjects would be considered appropriate or inappropriate?
You may offer a non-science/maths subject at A-level but this may be a disadvantage when applying to some Colleges.
You may be disadvantaged at some Colleges if your third GCE A-level is not a science or maths. This is something that you should check with the College(s) to which you are thinking of applying. There are no subjects which are particularly favoured in preparation for the veterinary course and you are strongly advised to discuss any unusual choices at an early stage

From Edinburgh Website
three A levels at AAB in Chemistry (at A grade), Biology and either Maths or Physics at A level required at one sitting.

four A levels at ABBB in Chemistry (at A grade), Biology, Maths and Physics required at one sitting
No other subjects are considered.

If Physics has not been studied at 'A' level a good pass at GCSE is required.

Candidates wishing to undertake two A/S levels in place of 'A' level Physics and Mathematics may do so providing that both Chemistry and Biology are offered at full 'A' level. Normally two 'A' grades must be achieved at A/S level. (Due to pressure on places, at present, no combination of subjects other than those listed above are approved for entry onto the course).

Glasgow

A Levels
AAB At first sitting inc. Chemistry at A, Biology at A with either Physics or Maths at B

RVC
GCE Advanced/A2
Three subjects including Biology and Chemistry and one other subject of your choice, which does not overlap (excluding General Studies). There is no third subject which is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process.

Liverpool

Subject requirements:
At least two science A levels including Biology. Chemistry A level is recommended but not obligatory. GCSE Maths, English and Physics or Dual Science (including Physics) grade B at GCSE.

Bristol

Subjects required at A Level or equivalent At least 2 and preferably 3 science subjects: Chemistry and Biology are mandatory. Physics or Maths as 3rd subject

PHEW I have a lot of free time today!
*Arwen*

I know, they've "stolen" a really good lecturer (possibly more in future) from us as well, more grrr's me thinks!

wahoo for us peeps going to Nottingham then!
Reply 9
I love Jon Huxley, he was my practical assessor at my nottingham interview and he was soooo smiley I just wanted to hug him!!
Reply 10
outrageous121
wahoo for us peeps going to Nottingham then!

Indeed :rolleyes:
Reply 11
There's no point in everyone guessing at the feasibility of third subjects- Liverpool and |RVC have APPROVED lists of subjects that must be adhered too. They are usually very academic subjects ring the admission's staff and check!!
Reply 12
outrageous121
...if you like going, can take the patronising, and don't mind being the cleaner, tea maker and general lowest of the low person then you probly have the determination for a vet degree...

...or be a vet nurse instead!:p:
Reply 13
Evenstar
...or be a vet nurse instead!:p:

lol evenstar!

Latest

Trending

Trending