This discussion is closed.
taylorrrr96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm planning to study physiotherapy. I have a sleeve, its not anything offensive, its beautifully done and includes lions, phoenix, roses etc. Are there any policies or official rules etc regarding visible tattoos? My sleeve can be covered when I wear a shirt however as I understand it the above the elbow rule is in place for NHS staff working in the hospital.
KingGoonIan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dunno about the policy but if you aren't allowed to show tattoos, I have heard of disposable sleeves being used by staff that do not want to expose themselves because of their religion, so that may be an option for you.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I see plenty of nurses/porters wandering around with tattoos, can't imagine it would be different for a physio!
Redheaded_Dancer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the general rule is that if you can cover it up, then that's cool, but obviously if you've got a sleeve tattoo you can't.
I'd ask at the place where you're studying, I imagine the rule that everything below the elbow must be exposed is different if you're not a nurse/doctor but as someone else here has said, you might be allowed to wear a shirt underneath your scrubs or the disposable sleeve things they were talking about. But yeah, go check with where you plan on studying, they'll be able to tell you more
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From my understanding, it depends hugely from not only between different Trusts, but between workplaces within the Trusts too.

Some allow for really tight fitting sleeves to worn whereas others, as mentioned have disposable sleeves. I know from a Muslim friend of mine who worked as a HCA somewhere that because there were a lot of female Muslims working where she was, a special uniform was designed to accommodate their requirements while still being as trying to be of minimal risk to spreading infections from bed-to-bed.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
as long as the tattoos are not offensive then there's usually no problem. I've seen staff with sleeve tattoos, things on their wrists etc.
Happy_Holidays
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shouldn't be a problem as long as its none offensive. I know a lot of healthcare workers with sleeves or tattoos on their arms and they don't tend to get any problems. They aren't allowed to discriminate.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There isn't an official NHS policy. It varies from Trust to Trust. I've seen plenty of nurses/HCAs/porters etc. with very visible tattoos, but I've also heard from someone that they're not allowed at their hospital.
Roodie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've got a small one on my wrist, and I used to put a plaster on it during placement. Then I thought that was probably an infection risk (ie. should be bare below elbows) so I just left it uncovered. I've seen nurses and a doctor with large visible tattoos. I wouldn't worry about it.
paulbiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a tattoo on my forearm and have worked in the NHS for many years, i work in physiotherapy.I've seen plenty of other healthcare professionals including doctors with visible tattoos. Dnot worry about having a tattoo as long as it's not offensive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (350)
43.48%

Watched Threads