The Student Room Group

Weak nails?

Hi everyone.
I recently stopped biting my nails, and although they are growing, they are really weak and chip and break really easily. Does anyone have any advice on how to make fingernails grow stronger or any products that will help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biotin supplements.
Reply 2
Not totally unrelated, but something away from 'weak' nails - I often get these white marks around the middle of my fingernails. They almost look like they've been chipped, but haven't. Does anyone know the cause of this?
(edited 10 years ago)
I have appalling nails that bend over and are generally really weak. Something that worked for me is a nail strengthening nail varnish remover from Boots. I wasn't expecting much but my nails are actually so much stronger and don't even bend over any more

It's this one:
http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen-Strengthening-Nail-Polish-Remover_1255886/

Fairly cheap considering it seems to work! It probably varies among people but if you wear nail varnish a lot it could do them wonders.
Original post by Schmucks
Not totally unrelated, but something away from 'weak' nails - I often get these white marks around the middle of my fingernails. They almost look like they've been chipped, but haven't. Does anyone know the cause of this?

Oh I have that too - is it a bit like this?
white-spots-on-fingernails.jpg

Some people say its calcium deficiency, but I went to the GP for this and he said that if you've been ill recently then those marks come up on your nails as an indication. Don't know why though... :s-smilie:
Original post by Schmucks

White marks on your nails are caused by calcium deficiency.
Reply 7
Original post by justanotherperson
White marks on your nails are caused by calcium deficiency.

Original post by Kindred.Spirit
Oh I have that too - is it a bit like this?
white-spots-on-fingernails.jpg

Some people say its calcium deficiency, but I went to the GP for this and he said that if you've been ill recently then those marks come up on your nails as an indication. Don't know why though... :s-smilie:

Thanks to the both of you! I've not been ill recently, so I doubt it's that/ Must be the calcium thing! :smile:
Reply 8
Here's what has worked for me:

* Supplements - omega oils, vitamin E, B complex seem to work for me! I've heard good things about prenatal vitamins but never tried, think is because of the high level of folic acid (which should be in a B-complex too)
* Make sure you're eating enough protein
* Keep hydrated as nails can become brittle without enough water
* Invest in a strengthener for the short term, even if you fix the underlying cause it won't start showing until you've grown out most of the weaker nail
* Try to use a hand and nail cream and massage it into your nails at least daily
* Keep your nails no longer than your finger tips until they feel stronger
* File instead of clippers or scissors - glass/crystal files are best - do not use a sawing motion, go in one direction at a time with long strokes
* If you wear nail polish, try and find an acetone-free nail polish remover, or failing that a 'strengthening' one. Cutex 'Nourishing' is good and smells like milk bottle sweets :biggrin:

Hope this helps :smile:
Change your diet and lifestyle.
Good nail polishes and nail polish removers that are acetone-free.
Reply 10
Original post by Bluer.
Here's what has worked for me:

* Supplements - omega oils, vitamin E, B complex seem to work for me! I've heard good things about prenatal vitamins but never tried, think is because of the high level of folic acid (which should be in a B-complex too)
* Make sure you're eating enough protein
* Keep hydrated as nails can become brittle without enough water
* Invest in a strengthener for the short term, even if you fix the underlying cause it won't start showing until you've grown out most of the weaker nail
* Try to use a hand and nail cream and massage it into your nails at least daily
* Keep your nails no longer than your finger tips until they feel stronger
* File instead of clippers or scissors - glass/crystal files are best - do not use a sawing motion, go in one direction at a time with long strokes
* If you wear nail polish, try and find an acetone-free nail polish remover, or failing that a 'strengthening' one. Cutex 'Nourishing' is good and smells like milk bottle sweets :biggrin:

Thanks! :smile:
1. (self) Manicure once per week to include gentle filing, tidying cuticles and massaging an oil into cuticles (e.g. I use a small amount of peach oil, but olive oil works. Even Vaseline/lipbalm helps). Trim any part of the nail that looks like it's going to break and gently file away jagged edges. Smooth nail contours are less likely to break/catch on things. Squoval or rounded shapes are good. Square means the edges can be vulnerable and pointy can be tricky to maintain and probably isn't possible on short nails anyway.

2. Use a strengthening base coat (on clean, dry nails only)

3. Nu Nale cream is supposed to be very good. I bought it, but haven't used it yet

4. Use gentler nail polish removers e.g acetone free, moisturising

5. Avoid acrylic/any fake nails. These will only weaken your nails

6. If you buff, only buff gently and infrequently

7. Moisturize your hands constantly. Especially if they feel dry or after washing your hands. Have a large bottle next to your desk and carry a small tube in your handbag when out and about

8. Avoid getting your hands dirty/wet unless absolutely necessary. This reduces the need to wash your hands

9. If you must do washing up etc, USE GLOVES!

10. Use a moisturizing/gentle handwash e.g. Dove. Many handwashes (esp those in public toilets) are very harsh

11. Once every few weeks exfoliate hands with a mixture of olive oil + salt or sugar and wash off. Massage cuticles and nails gently. Hands will feel super soft. Also works all over the body (except face)

12. Never use your nails as tools e.g. to open cans, peel/scratch things. Use a fork or a coin etc

13. Eat more protein and healthy fats

14. Eat more fruit and veg
Reply 12
Original post by No Future
1. (self) Manicure once per week to include gentle filing, tidying cuticles and massaging an oil into cuticles (e.g. I use a small amount of peach oil, but olive oil works. Even Vaseline/lipbalm helps). Trim any part of the nail that looks like it's going to break and gently file away jagged edges. Smooth nail contours are less likely to break/catch on things. Squoval or rounded shapes are good. Square means the edges can be vulnerable and pointy can be tricky to maintain and probably isn't possible on short nails anyway.

2. Use a strengthening base coat (on clean, dry nails only)

3. Nu Nale cream is supposed to be very good. I bought it, but haven't used it yet

4. Use gentler nail polish removers e.g acetone free, moisturising

5. Avoid acrylic/any fake nails. These will only weaken your nails

6. If you buff, only buff gently and infrequently

7. Moisturize your hands constantly. Especially if they feel dry or after washing your hands. Have a large bottle next to your desk and carry a small tube in your handbag when out and about

8. Avoid getting your hands dirty/wet unless absolutely necessary. This reduces the need to wash your hands

9. If you must do washing up etc, USE GLOVES!

10. Use a moisturizing/gentle handwash e.g. Dove. Many handwashes (esp those in public toilets) are very harsh

11. Once every few weeks exfoliate hands with a mixture of olive oil + salt or sugar and wash off. Massage cuticles and nails gently. Hands will feel super soft. Also works all over the body (except face)

12. Never use your nails as tools e.g. to open cans, peel/scratch things. Use a fork or a coin etc

13. Eat more protein and healthy fats

14. Eat more fruit and veg

That list is really helpful, thanks! :smile:
Sally Hansens Nail Strengthener works for me. I've seen it in places like Boots and Superdrug.
Reply 14
Nail hardener will help, also a nail strengthening nail polish remover, I use the cutex one and I find it makes my nails feel much tougher.
Reply 15
Soak your nails weekly in a small bowl of olive or other vegetable oil. Add a few drops of vitamin E oil for extra moisture.Also applying a thin coat of nail polish may help your nails retain moisture.
Give yourself a hand massage with vitamin E lotion or petroleum jelly. Massage from the palm of your hand toward your fingertips to increase circulation to the fingernails.
Apply a nail hardener to strengthen your nails.
Don't let your nails remain wet for too long. Wear rubber gloves to protect your nails and cuticles while doing household chores like washing dishes and clothes, gardening, mopping and scrubbing floors.
Reply 16
Original post by ash77
Soak your nails weekly in a small bowl of olive or other vegetable oil. Add a few drops of vitamin E oil for extra moisture.Also applying a thin coat of nail polish may help your nails retain moisture.
Give yourself a hand massage with vitamin E lotion or petroleum jelly. Massage from the palm of your hand toward your fingertips to increase circulation to the fingernails.
Apply a nail hardener to strengthen your nails.
Don't let your nails remain wet for too long. Wear rubber gloves to protect your nails and cuticles while doing household chores like washing dishes and clothes, gardening, mopping and scrubbing floors.

Thank you! :smile:
Have a petit filous? :cool:
A couple of layers of clear nail vanish will strengthen them. Avoid false nails as they will damage the natural nail on removal.
Reply 18
Same thing happened to me, eventually they will get stronger as long as you don't start biting them again :smile: You could try some of those nail strengthing products they sell in boots I've heard they are pretty good :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by rainbowdust
Thank you! :smile:

Anytime babe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest