Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've got a conditional offer from Uni of Birmingham for medicine.
    I was wondering if you ppl out there would tell me ANYTHING about this uni and it's course.
    I'm aware that it's position in League tables are not that high....for med it's the second last uni. Not very thrilled to find that piece of info.
    Oh by the way, I'm an overseas student. I'll be glad to meet people from Uni of Birmingham. Smilez.

You could e-mail me at [email protected]. Thankz

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing Medicine, but I can tell you about the uni.. what do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I'm not doing Medicine, but I can tell you about the uni.. what do you want to know?
    Hmm...where to stay. What's the Vale's like...I was hoping to get Shackleton. Tips of surviving there? What are the most happening clubs/societies? Where to meet people? And what does ppl say about Medicine at Brum?
    I've been there in Jan...it's really beautiful and HUGE...if I'd been there alone, I'd get lost!
    Smilez...thankz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saphion)
    Hmm...where to stay. What's the Vale's like...I was hoping to get Shackleton. Tips of surviving there? What are the most happening clubs/societies? Where to meet people? And what does ppl say about Medicine at Brum?
    I've been there in Jan...it's really beautiful and HUGE...if I'd been there alone, I'd get lost!
    Smilez...thankz
    I don't live on the Vale, but people I know say it's pretty nice. Shackleton Hall is still being built, so it's meant to be opening in September. There's a little bit of info about it here: http://www.housing.bham.ac.uk/underg...shackleton.htm.

Societies and clubs - depends what you're into, there's lots really. I only joined one and meetings are regular and there's lots going on. I'm pretty sure the medics have their own society too (even if I can't find it on the BUGS website) and they do pubcrawls and stuff.

You shouldn't have probs meeting people, you'll do that in your hall/flat and on your course, obviously and through societies.

Like you've mentioned, Birmingham's not really rated for Medicine. I don't know much more than that really, besides the fact that they have something like 30 hours a week, but then I guess you'd expect that.

Which country are you from by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I don't live on the Vale, but people I know say it's pretty nice. Shackleton Hall is still being built, so it's meant to be opening in September. There's a little bit of info about it here: http://www.housing.bham.ac.uk/underg...shackleton.htm.

Societies and clubs - depends what you're into, there's lots really. I only joined one and meetings are regular and there's lots going on. I'm pretty sure the medics have their own society too (even if I can't find it on the BUGS website) and they do pubcrawls and stuff.

You shouldn't have probs meeting people, you'll do that in your hall/flat and on your course, obviously and through societies.

Like you've mentioned, Birmingham's not really rated for Medicine. I don't know much more than that really, besides the fact that they have something like 30 hours a week, but then I guess you'd expect that.

Which country are you from by the way?

Yeah I heard that there was a MedSoc but I couldn't find it at the site. I'm from Malaysia...sigh, the exchange rate is shooting high...1 pound to 7.2 ringgit now.
    Yeah I was quite sad to get Brum as my only offer for Medic...hey no offense, I chose it 'cos it's a beautiful place but it's not as prestigeous for Med. I'm still thinking if I should defer a year...haha.
    What course are you doing there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I heard that there was a MedSoc but I couldn't find it at the site. I'm from Malaysia...sigh, the exchange rate is shooting high...1 pound to 7.2 ringgit now.
    Yeah I was quite sad to get Brum as my only offer for Medic...hey no offense, I chose it 'cos it's a beautiful place but it's not as prestigeous for Med. I'm still thinking if I should defer a year...haha.
    Hey, I'm thinking of going to Bham for English,, and also want Shackleton Hall. If you search the forums for Birmingham uni there's quite a lot of info in past threads which should help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Hey, I'm thinking of going to Bham for English,, and also want Shackleton Hall. If you search the forums for Birmingham uni there's quite a lot of info in past threads which should help
    Thankz...yeah the hall sounds cool huh.
    Yeah I've done a search, but they don't really talk much about Brum for Medic...apart from those who are in my position. To take the offer or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in first year doing Physics and Astrophysics.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.