Want more information about this university?
This discussion is closed.
pro_be_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok, long story short, I had msc offers from couple of universities and decided to accept Queen Mary's offer. After a while, I started to google (which I believe is a common student reflex) "QMUL vs." variations. Nearly anything I could find was in TSR and was dominantly against Queen Mary. (Imperial, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Bristol, Leeds, Sussex, Manchester, another dozen of universities in The Russell Group, even some unheard, small University of London colleges established couple of decades ago...)

I am really confused and I started to think if I made a bad decision. But again, I visited the campus and it was really exciting and satisfying in every way. Drapers also have a great reputation. QMUL is never ranked far from (and is generally in) top 100 universities in the world.

So, how come QMUL has really bad reputation in TSR?
Casshern1456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
QMUL is just the new arrival into the Russell Group universities, that makes comparing it to the ICL, UCL, KCL and Manchester's quite unfair as those universities are generally better and have a better reputation. No one on here has anything against QMUL I think, just some people mistakenly think it's a top top university and then being disappointed when comparing it to ICL, UCL, LSE, KCL, Manchester (I could go on) any of the top 10.
pro_be_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Casshern1456)
just some people mistakenly think it's a top top university and then being disappointed when comparing it to ICL, UCL, LSE, KCL, Manchester (I could go on) any of the top 10.
Now this makes no sense at all.. I've got nothing to say about Imperial, UCL or LSE (for certain subjects). I generally don't credit league tables but they are sometimes useful for giving a somewhat accurate projection of universities and how well they are doing. I haven't got anything against Manchester but since you mentioned the name of it and think it is a top ranked university but QMUL is "disappointingly" not;

Manchester's
The Complete University Guide League Table ranking: 29
The Guardian League Table ranking: 41
The Sunday Times League Table ranking: Not in top 30.
The Times League Table ranking: Not in top 30.

QMUL's
The Complete University Guide League Table ranking: 42
The Guardian League Table ranking: 36 (Outranked Manchester)
The Sunday Times League Table ranking: 23 (Outranked Manchester)

I'm not sure if Unistats has an overall league table but there are many subjects that QMUL and Manchester have nearly the same average UCAS points achieved such as Medicine, Dentistry, Law, English, Geography, etc.

It's not that I'm saying Manchester isn't better than QMUL (it most probably is). But your steep "People think QMUL is a decent university and mistakenly compare it to universities like Manchester and get disappointed." argument has no ground.
Casshern1456
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pro_be_2)
Now this makes no sense at all.. I've got nothing to say about Imperial, UCL or LSE (for certain subjects). I generally don't credit league tables but they are sometimes useful for giving a somewhat accurate projection of universities and how well they are doing. I haven't got anything against Manchester but since you mentioned the name of it and think it is a top ranked university but QMUL is "disappointingly" not;

Manchester's
The Complete University Guide League Table ranking: 29
The Guardian League Table ranking: 41
The Sunday Times League Table ranking: Not in top 30.

QMUL's
The Complete University Guide League Table ranking: 42
The Guardian League Table ranking: 36 (Outranked Manchester)
The Sunday Times League Table ranking: 23 (Outranked Manchester)

I'm not sure if Unistats has an overall league table but there are many subjects that QMUL and Manchester have nearly the same average UCAS points achieved such as Medicine, Dentistry, Law, English, Geography, etc.

It's not that I'm saying Manchester isn't better than QMUL (it most probably is). But your steep "People think QMUL is a decent university and mistakenly compare it to universities like Manchester and get disappointed." argument has no ground.
Actually what you are saying is correct, QMUL isn't much worst than Manchester on the whole but I can see companies naming Manchester as one of top 6 for graduate employment (Along with Oxbridge, Bristol, ICL, UCL I think were the others).

Compare QMUL with any top 10 though, and on tsr people will say QM is awful.
.Scout.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who cares what people on TSR think? You said that you visited QMUL and liked it, surely that should be the reason to go there. You have to spend 3+ years at the uni, it needs to be somewhere that you feel comfortable and enjoy.

Ultimatley, a unis reputation means very little. Also why care about what people on TSR think? I often see people bad mouthing QMUL on here, I bet the majority of those people have never studied there, let alone set foot in Mile End.

If you like the campus and the course, then go for it.
JoPat94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Casshern1456)
Actually what you are saying is correct, QMUL isn't much worst than Manchester on the whole but I can see companies naming Manchester as one of top 6 for graduate employment (Along with Oxbridge, Bristol, ICL, UCL I think were the others).

Compare QMUL with any top 10 though, and on tsr people will say QM is awful.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure I read QMUL is best in London for student employment... And it's not "worst" than Manchester clearly seen in the above post.
CalabiYau
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
QMUL is a great university. I'm not sure why people rip on it, it's ranked in the top 20 and top 30 generally, and for postgraduate research it's often in the top 10.

I'd say it's jealousy.
StockholmBoy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JoPat94)
I might be wrong, but I'm sure I read QMUL is best in London for student employment... And it's not "worst" than Manchester clearly seen in the above post.
QMUL isn't the best in London for student employment, Imperial is. Easily found by going to unistats.direct.gov.uk
CalabiYau
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Abbey Underwood)
QM is very bad. I am a law student, got firsts in my exams, they withdrew them from me, asking me to retake them, all because of the fact that i had heart surgery and was only able to do two law exams in which i excelled.

they took them from me telling me to resit in August, whilst a girl called lauren who fainted on one of her exam, passed, despite not even doing the paper.

What kind of a uni puts students down like that?
they took away my hard work, made me depressed and motivate and now i have very little time to revise.
it has arrogant lecturers like mendez and bernard ho follow a policy of favoritism and give out marks to those who they like and hate on the smart people.

i mean an 89 and 80 in two law exams - taken away from me which i put hard work into depite heart surgery.

what shall i do? legal action? take it to the papers?
Worst argument ever. I'm sorry you had trouble, but that's an administrative issue not an academic one.
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
QMUL is awesome, nothing wrong with it (apart from admin - which in all honesty is going to suck in most universities)

If you think you'll be happy to study there, go for it! It was the perfect mix of campus culture/city life/academia for me because of the location and the level of prestige which it holds. There is nothing bad about putting QMUL on your CV, either
CalabiYau
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
QMUL joined the Russell Group today, along with Durham, Exeter and York. Before the angry mob comes back to shout "it doesn't mean anything rabble rabble rabble", I think that's a sign that it's anything but "that bad".
laurablair
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Queen Mary is anything but 'bad'! Take a close look at the league tables (relevant ones) and remember the fact that it's a newer university, and has had less time to establish a reputation. It's newly in the Russell Group, joining many top universities, and it's very highly ranked in the UK for many subjects. It's a brilliant atmosphere (only campus university in London), everyone is very friendly, incredibly tolerant, with great services, transport links and local amenities. The staff, in my experience, are very helpful, easily contactable and understanding. I don't know what went wrong for the person complaining, but I had a lot of health issues this year and the university were incredibly understanding and handled it brilliantly. If you want an all-round university experience, great people and facilities, with the best that London has to offer on your doorstep, you can't do much better.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by laurablair)
Queen Mary is anything but 'bad'! Take a close look at the league tables (relevant ones) and remember the fact that it's a newer university, and has had less time to establish a reputation. It's newly in the Russell Group, joining many top universities, and it's very highly ranked in the UK for many subjects. It's a brilliant atmosphere (only campus university in London), everyone is very friendly, incredibly tolerant, with great services, transport links and local amenities. The staff, in my experience, are very helpful, easily contactable and understanding. I don't know what went wrong for the person complaining, but I had a lot of health issues this year and the university were incredibly understanding and handled it brilliantly. If you want an all-round university experience, great people and facilities, with the best that London has to offer on your doorstep, you can't do much better.
I beg your pardon; 1885 is new? QM is older than the majority of Russel Group Universities and older than IIRC all but one Red Brick (Manchester).

The fact is, QM is based in an impoverished area of London (which historically always has been, and I hope continues to be with new waves of different immigrants every generation) and seeks the best students from East London. To your average TSR snob, this is not considered 'prestige' enough because of the type of student it attracts, whether or not they are vastly more intelligent than students who have been schooled privately.

There are many universities which have large captive audiences of private schools and yet these universities are considered 'prestige'. There was me thinking that history, staff, research, resources and student satisfaction are the main markers for university selection and reputation.

Matriculating at QM will set you on your way in life nicely, trust me.
Zorg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
2 points.

Postgraduate depends far more on the departments strengths and is almost not at all about the Universities prestige.
Second, QMUL incorporates the Barts which is actually pretty damn good. (Slight bias on the second point, but the first still stands)
username1415922
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by .Scout.)
Who cares what people on TSR think? You said that you visited QMUL and liked it, surely that should be the reason to go there. You have to spend 3+ years at the uni, it needs to be somewhere that you feel comfortable and enjoy.

Ultimatley, a unis reputation means very little. Also why care about what people on TSR think? I often see people bad mouthing QMUL on here, I bet the majority of those people have never studied there, let alone set foot in Mile End.

If you like the campus and the course, then go for it.
Queen Mary students 'aka' Bart's are awful and teaching is below mediocre.
mar1enneh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it isn't bad, it just isnt the best, give it a couple decades lol
bbg1985
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It depends, their maths department really sucks for masters programmes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads