Turn on thread page Beta

aberdeen or dundee? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    does anyone know which one is better?
    please, give me some tips!

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on which course u want to do.
    I may be biased cos I live there but Aberdeen is a nicer city and I think the uni. has a higher ranking than Dundee. There's more to do in Aberdeen though the shopping in dundee is good and it's closer to the big cities in the south.
    Dundee is a much more modern uni, becoming an independent uni in the 1960's whereas Aberdeen uni. was founded over 500 years ago. However aberdeen certainly has modern facilities as does dundee.
    I'd recommend looking on their websites for more info.-
    www.dundee.ac.uk, www.aberdeen.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuma)
    hey,

aberdeen is ranked 20 and dundee is ranked 31, so i guess in general aberdeen is better

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen seems to have a better rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuma)
    hey,
    find out which is coldest

ReputationRep:
    I would say Aberdeen. It has a much better reputation than Dundee. I know several graduates of Aberdeen who all speak fondly of it. It has some nice buildings (although after four years you might get a bit bored of granite) and seemingly quite good facilities too. The city itself is quite nice, although more expensive than Dundee I think because of the oil industry. Dundee is closer to the bigger cities and most of the population in the central belt, but Aberdeen still has all the amenities of a modern city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    Dundee is a much more modern uni, becoming an independent uni in the 1960's whereas Aberdeen uni. was founded over 500 years ago
    Strictly speaking, Aberdeen University (in its current form) was founded in 1858 by an act of Parliament which united Marischal College and Kings College. Both were in some financial difficulty at the time.

Its roots are, as you point out, older.

It's been a while since I saw the place, but I remember Aberdeen as an enjoyable place to live, study and work. Don't be put off by its so-called remoteness - this is a city of 200,000 or so, and there is PLENTY to do. Are you really going to be going home a bunch of times each semester?

I can't comment on Dundee University, but I certainly would choose Aberdeen as a the better place to live.

I ve visited Aberdeen and I really liked it. Plus, it has better rep than Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    if you're going to be doing biological sciences then i would go to dundee

Indeed, it depends on what you will be studying. For instance I will be studying computer science and french at Aberdeen. In the Times university guide it is no1 in "destinations" (computing) and it s also second overall for french.

ReputationRep:
    Until you say what you are hoping to study then it's very difficult to give advice. Don't be too swayed by the relative "league table" position - both unis are excellent in somethings and rather less good in others and the data used for the tables is also obsolete.

Dundee is a more modern institution than Aberdeen but the university is world renowned in some areas and the city has been substantially redeveloped. I was offered a place at Aberdeen but turned it down because the offer was so low I figured the course must be scrapping the barrel (this was some years ago I admit!) both cities are very liveable but the higher cost of Aberdeen does make having a good time a bit more expensive up there. Dundee is supposed to have the "fittest" students in Scotland - and I don't think this refers to their sporting prowess!

ReputationRep:
    Seems everyone recommend Aberdeen? I think Dundee is a better place to study. Actually it was a part of uni of Edingburgh before separating. I think it may still keep the same quality as Edingburgh.

(Original post by leo00000000)
    Seems everyone recommend Aberdeen? I think Dundee is a better place to study. Actually it was a part of uni of Edingburgh before separating. I think it may still keep the same quality as Edingburgh.
    I thought it was a part of St Andrews. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo00000000)

Dundee was originally a separate college which merged with St Andrews (only 15 miles and a ferry crossing away) then disaggregated in 1967 to form The University of Dundee (at the same time the road bridge was built).
    Try to visit both places (they're only a couple of hours apart) to get a feel for them and see whether either offers more of the things you like doing.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.