The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jodiebob
Hello,
Has anyone had their audition for BA Acting at Manchester Met or Guildford School of Acting yet?
Just wondering what they're like as im waiting for my audition dates! :smile:

Hello :smile:
I've applied for BA acting at Man Met and have my audition next Thursday if that helps at all? i applied on UCAS about a month ago and they got back to me pretty quickly!
And I haven't applied for BA acting at GSA but i did apply for Musical Theatre there, and my audition is this Wednesday - not sure if thats helpful or not!
Reply 121
Hi

Hope I have the right thread here :smile: Now that GSA is part of the university of surrey does anyone know if that means I can apply to student finance for the £9000 tuition fees and loans
thanks
Original post by Heather_23
I've applied for BA acting at Man Met and have my audition next Thursday if that helps at all? i applied on UCAS about a month ago and they got back to me pretty quickly!
And I haven't applied for BA acting at GSA but i did apply for Musical Theatre there, and my audition is this Wednesday - not sure if thats helpful or not!

My musical theatre audition for GSA is also on Wednesday, I might see you there :smile:

also I'm pretty sure your student loan does cover GSA
Reply 123
Original post by Heather_23

Yes thank you! Hope they go well for you! :smile:
Original post by cherry829
Hi

Hope I have the right thread here :smile: Now that GSA is part of the university of surrey does anyone know if that means I can apply to student finance for the £9000 tuition fees and loans
thanks

Your student loan will cover the cost for GSA but it isn't actually part of the University of Surrey - we just share the same campus :smile: they're still two separate things, although there is sometimes links etc!
Original post by mimiedwards
Hi, ooh sorry I didn't see you're reply. I've got central on Tuesday the 17th. I haven't auditioned before. A couple of my friends have, one who is currently at Mountview on the BA mt course and he didn't get past the first round. Yeah to be honest the foundation was good in a way but only 1 girl from our class of 20 actually got into Mountview. The first term is learning the skills, the second is auditioning and by then a lot of the places have filled up! How was te dance at Mountview? I've only ever auditioned when they've split you into two groups, what are the corner exercises? I have GSA tomorrow! You too??? Good luck, maybe ill see you. I have longish red hair. Xxxxx

The dance was fine. As long as you go for its fine. The corner exercises were Leaps, Kicks and Turns. And pirouettes instead of turns if you're okay with them. :smile:

WHat time was your GSA Audition? Mine was half 1? Do you know how long it is until they let you know if you get a recall? xxxx
Reply 126
I have an audition for the birmingham school of acting on the 9 th of January, anybody else have that date? :-) also this is random but does anybody know what the acting course at Trinity st David university is like?
So my GSA went well, I don't know what more I could have done but I just have to wait and see now! Waiting is the worst bit - probably worse than the audition itself! So we went into the grand foyer and signed in then sat around for a bit, I sat and admired all the students and looked to see if I could fit in with them all. We were then all called to go and stand by the door and a lady took us out of the building to the on site theatre (take your coat, I left mine with my mum and subsequently FROZE!). We were then led up stairs to wait and there was the usual chatter, "how far has everyone come?" "how many times have you auditioned?" we were then taken into a massive white studio. There were seats set out in a semi-circle facing a table with two chairs and the pianist was in the corner. On the panel was Michael Moor (Head of MT) and Elissa Morgan (Vocal Coach). They gave us a quick chat, told us there were 2,000 auditioning for 30 places!!! thanks for the encouragement haha! Michael then introduced himself and told us what we would be doing. We then all stood near the piano and did a quick vocal warm up. We then sat down and went up one by one to sing our song. I went with choices but was the only one, everyone else just took up one song. He said he wouldn't stop us unless it was unbelieveabley long, 3 minutes was about the longest. He said to use the entire space and pretend we were on stage. After everyone performed he asked us each a little about ourselves and then it was done! We then just all made our way out and went our seperate ways. There were 12 in my group. Then staright after there was another group of 12. By no means was it a singing class and it was very different to the GSA auditions I've done before.

Hope that helped!

Amy xxx

Did you give the panel references? If you did, you were at my audition!

have you heard back yet?
xxx
Original post by Pip:-)
I have an audition for the birmingham school of acting on the 9 th of January, anybody else have that date? :-) also this is random but does anybody know what the acting course at Trinity st David university is like?

I've got an audition at BSA then too :s-smilie: kinda nervous xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 129
Cool I might see you there :-) and yea I'm nervous too :-/ I just hope I've chosen the right sort of monologues and stuff :-)
Original post by emiliebazza
Did you give the panel references? If you did, you were at my audition!

have you heard back yet?
xxx

Hi yeah I was, the 1.30 Wednesday 28th? I havnt heard yet but I rang up Mary bird today and she said they have had a delay on them and they will be out early next week. I'm glad tbh, I've got my ppa and Mountview this weekend and if its a no I don't have to be thinking oh well gsa dot want me so neither will they blah blah blah. Have you heard yet? What did you sing? Xxx
Hey everybody i have decided to apply to a drama school in the UK. I started reading Shakespeare and since English is not my first language i find it rather difficult. I was pretty solid in my decision but now im not so sure anymore. Do you guys have any advice on acting Shakespeare for foreigners?

Thank you
ok i've got my first audition in 2 days - oxford school of drama musical theatre foundation course - anybody got any tips/can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on the day??
Reply 133
I'm applying for:
Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Drama Centre
Guildford School of Acting
Italia Conti
Bristol Old Vic
and York Uni for the Writing, directing and performance course.

Anyone know anything about auditions for any of these?
Hi yeah I was, the 1.30 Wednesday 28th? I havnt heard yet but I rang up Mary bird today and she said they have had a delay on them and they will be out early next week. I'm glad tbh, I've got my ppa and Mountview this weekend and if its a no I don't have to be thinking oh well gsa dot want me so neither will they blah blah blah. Have you heard yet? What did you sing? Xxx

Oh wicked, thankyou. I emailed them too but had nout back yet. PPA is a great school! I got in with a Scholarship last year, but turned it down for some reasnon. Good luck with your other auditions!

I sung You know how to love me, from when midnight strikes. Are you auditiong for LSMT?
xxx
Original post by emiliebazza
Oh wicked, thankyou. I emailed them too but had nout back yet. PPA is a great school! I got in with a Scholarship last year, but turned it down for some reasnon. Good luck with your other auditions!

I sung You know how to love me, from when midnight strikes. Are you auditiong for LSMT?
xxx

Hi, yeah I've got into ppa so if I don't get in anywhere else ill probably go there, which I'd be really happy about as a few of my really close friends are there. Yeah oh I loved your song! It's frustrating isn't it, and they've broken up now so I doubt we'll be hearing before Christmas. I'm not doing lsmt as I think I need three years before I'm ready for the buisness and want to give myself the best chances when I leave school. I think lsmt is more for people if they have already done a degree at a Uni and want that extra push from a drama school but it's definitely not for me. So why didn't you go to ppa? And with a scholarship?!? For the three yer course? I'm just curious. Private message me if you'd prefer. I'm really interested though :smile:

good luck with all your auditions though sweetie!

Amy xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Son received unconditional offers today:

for York: Writing, Directing, Performance
Lancaster: Creative Arts (Theatre, writing, Film)

:smile: :smile: :smile: Happy.
Hi all!

So I'm having some trouble. The first being that I want to apply to both Guildhall and RADA, but both have auditions in New York (Guildhall in January RADA in March) and I don't think I can afford to trek out their twice. I live in Los Angeles but lived in London for some time prior. Both programs seem great, and I'm trying gauge which one is better for me and more worth applying to... but I can't rule one out really.

I'm applying to Central because aside from being a great school, I have a contact there. However, my contact told me I should perhaps apply for the MA Acting course since I will be 23 in the fall and have experience (but no BA. However he said BA is not always necessary).

Does anyone know if the MA Acting is as good as the BA Acting at Central? I'm worried it's a Masters course they just lump in that doesn't have the same rep or instruction as the BA.

Also anyone with knowledge of Guildhall and RADA's differences, both in terms of the programs and the auditions would be very helpful.
Original post by Maxomatosis
Hi all!

So I'm having some trouble. The first being that I want to apply to both Guildhall and RADA, but both have auditions in New York (Guildhall in January RADA in March) and I don't think I can afford to trek out their twice. I live in Los Angeles but lived in London for some time prior. Both programs seem great, and I'm trying gauge which one is better for me and more worth applying to... but I can't rule one out really.

I'm applying to Central because aside from being a great school, I have a contact there. However, my contact told me I should perhaps apply for the MA Acting course since I will be 23 in the fall and have experience (but no BA. However he said BA is not always necessary).

Does anyone know if the MA Acting is as good as the BA Acting at Central? I'm worried it's a Masters course they just lump in that doesn't have the same rep or instruction as the BA.

Also anyone with knowledge of Guildhall and RADA's differences, both in terms of the programs and the auditions would be very helpful.

I'm a current 3rd year Stage Manager at Central, and I would weigh more in favour of doing the BA over the MA....

- I'm not convinced your experience at 23 would be enough for them to take you straight onto the MA
- Being a 3 year course, as well as acting you will learn other very useful skills such as stage combat, yoga/physical conditioning, accents and more (depending on your chosen acting strand, you may also learn clowning, devising, dance, etc.)
- The BA students work continuously with the other courses at Central from the start of 2nd year; as well as learning a bit more about what else goes into making a performance, you'll make a lot more friends and professional contacts than the MA students (in my 3 years at Central on the course that has tne most contact with actors I have never once met an MA student, let alone work with them so I could never recommend any for auditions)
- At 23 you'll likely find you're 'too young' for the MA. I had a flatmate in my first year who at 24 had come over from LA to do the MA Actor Training and left after 2 days for a number of reasons including her not wanting to spend a year with no one on her course her age. A number of tne BA actors I know have already completed a BA degree elsewhere before Central or have taken several years between leaving school and Central so are therefore in their early 20's when they start.
- In 3 years at Central you would perform in a number of public productions which agents and casting directors attend, MAs (as far as I can recall) only have 1 showcase when most of the school is on their Summer break.

Sorry for the essay, do feel free to ask anything else and good luck with your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Just got my audition date for the AUCB for the 9th of febuary :-) happy, but I love the place so I really want to perform well on the day.

Quick Reply

Latest