Turn on thread page Beta

A few leap year traditoins... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    - Women could traditionally propose on the 29th and it was Scottish law that any man who refused had to pay a fine.The fine could range from a kiss to payment for a silk dress or a pair of gloves

- There is a Greek superstition that claims couples have bad luck if they marry during a leap year. Apparently one in five engaged couples in Greece will avoid planning their wedding during a leap year.

- Leap Year occurs every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case only if the year is divisible by 400

- It was superstition that leap year babies would live 4 times as long as the average human being (this was when life expectancies were as low as 30) and so were treated with much respect.

- Condradicting the above, many small communities in Northern parts of the world believed that leap year babies were bad omens and cast them out into the cold for 4 days, believing it would give them time to 'catch up' to the world.

....whatever your leap year beliefs - have a happy leap day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    - Women could traditionally propose on the 29th and it was Scottish law that any man who refused had to pay a fine.The fine could range from a kiss to payment for a silk dress or a pair of gloves

- There is a Greek superstition that claims couples have bad luck if they marry during a leap year. Apparently one in five engaged couples in Greece will avoid planning their wedding during a leap year.

- Leap Year occurs every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case only if the year is divisible by 400

- It was superstition that leap year babies would live 4 times as long as the average human being (this was when life expectancies were as low as 30) and so were treated with much respect.

- Condradicting the above, many small communities in Northern parts of the world believed that leap year babies were bad omens and cast them out into the cold for 4 days, believing it would give them time to 'catch up' to the world.

A leap year occurs every four years. It just only occurs on the 00s when they are divisible by 400. You've mixed facts here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    A leap year occurs every four years. It just only occurs on the 00s when they are divisible by 400. You've mixed facts here.
    not that i can see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)

you've just said exactly the same thing?!?

silly billy.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Isn't every number divisible by 400?

Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    i asked my girlfriend to propose to me. she said no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    not that i can see
    Was the year 100AD a leap year then?

If what you are saying is true then sometimes a leap year occurs in 8 years time.

In 2096 will the next leap year be in 2104?

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    In 2096 will the next leap year be in 2104?
    yes, that is true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yes, that is true
    Why? Isn't it just every four years?

And if you are born on February 29, how is your age calculated?

ReputationRep:
    !
    I called up someone and proposed and he hung up on me, does that mean I can fine him *rubs hands together and thinks of all the evil she can do*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Why? Isn't it just every four years?
    a leap year is every year divisible by four, except if it is divisible by 100, except if it is divisible by 400

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a leap year is every year divisible by four, except if it is divisible by 100, except if it is divisible by 400
    What the... if it's divisible by 100 it's divisible by four!

Wait, so 100, 200 and 300 weren't leap, but 400 was?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/request/se...d/00500300f00h

leap year info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Wait, so 100, 200 and 300 weren't leap, but 400 was?
    yes. its all a bit silly, they should just make the second slightly longer.

ReputationRep:
    The reason for the extra leap year rule (Leap Year occurs every four years, except for years ending in 00, in which case only if the year is divisible by 400), is pretty much the same reason that we have leap years .
    Its correcting the fact that the Gregorian calendar that we use treats a year as 365 days when in fact its slightly over, and works out to be 365.2425 days. The extra 0.2425 days are corrected by the extra day every four years, but as you can see its just slightly under a day every four years and hence the extra correction that occurs in century years
    http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leapyear.html is a great site that explains it much better then I probably have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/request/se...d/00500300f00h

leap year info
    Thank you viviki.

ReputationRep:
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...name_page.html

The Irish government is offering 100 euros to babies born on February 29 this year. Family Affairs Minister Mary Coughlan said, "I felt they should be given a special welcome this year as it is the 10th anniversary of the Year of the Family."

I bet there will be loads of Irish women trying to go into labour today

ReputationRep:
    -

my cousin had a baby girl today!.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    my cousin had a baby girl today!.....
    get it outside in the cold then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Isn't every number divisible by 400?

Sorry, I'm being pedantic.
    No. Not with the meaning associated with Number Theory.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.