The Student Room Group

Numerical reasoning test for job. Crap at maths.

//
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I did several numerical reasoning tests for graduate schemes, they were more 'here is some [work related] information, find so-and-so..'. Try searching for practice numerical reasoning tests, they should give you an idea of what to expect. SHL have examples of the actual tests they sit, and there's other websites that have practice tests too. I don't think GCSE revision will be much help if I'm honest, other than learning basic formulas for percentage increase, that sort of thing. They were more based on 'working world' maths than what you learnt at GCSE...
Original post by veeless
I did several numerical reasoning tests for graduate schemes, they were more 'here is some [work related] information, find so-and-so..'. Try searching for practice numerical reasoning tests, they should give you an idea of what to expect. SHL have examples of the actual tests they sit, and there's other websites that have practice tests too. I don't think GCSE revision will be much help if I'm honest, other than learning basic formulas for percentage increase, that sort of thing. They were more based on 'working world' maths than what you learnt at GCSE...

Thanks!
Reply 3
It will most likely be percentages, and manipulating them. This seems to come up a lot in NRTs. Get used to calculating percentages (increases, decreases etc) and converting between fraction and decimal.
Err, it ranges. If you're planning on applying for the civ service fast stream or centrica then expect it to be difficult. If it's just a normal job then you shouldn't be taxed by it.
Reply 5
Look up SHL numerical reasoning practice tests. Good odds it'll be something along those lines.

Original post by Llamageddon
Err, it ranges. If you're planning on applying for the civ service fast stream or centrica then expect it to be difficult. If it's just a normal job then you shouldn't be taxed by it.

Strange to name just those two employers as difficult. Are they actually any harder then most grad schemes? Numerical reasoning tests don't vary much in my experience, although the required mark may vary considerably.
I did the Centrica one and I'm sure it was a standard SHL one. Most ones I've done have been SHL. The only one I've done that hasn't been SHL was the BP one, which was much easier.

I don't see why a "normal job" would go to the trouble of using one if they aren't going to use a hard one. They don't have to automatically reject people who don't get full marks in it after all.
Original post by M1011
Strange to name just those two employers as difficult. Are they actually any harder then most grad schemes? Numerical reasoning tests don't vary much in my experience, although the required mark may vary considerably.
They're the only two I've applied for that were difficult. I can't outright state others are difficult if I've never taken them. The non-graduate or small company selection tests I've taken have, in my experience, been a lot easier than the above two.
Reply 8
Original post by Llamageddon
They're the only two I've applied for that were difficult. I can't outright state others are difficult if I've never taken them. The non-graduate or small company selection tests I've taken have, in my experience, been a lot easier than the above two.

Fair enough, was just puzzled why you mentioned those two in particular but that explains it :smile:
//
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Thanks - the top Google result looks good. Out of curiosity, are these tests a bit like the UKCAT? Numerical/logical/verbal reasoning etc. I managed to get through that, it wasn't easy though and I do remember doing quite a bit of revision :s-smilie:.

No idea, can't remember ever sitting a UKCAT. Sorry.

It's basic maths but put in tricky context. The theory is unlikely to catch you out, the hard bit is working out what data to use and what the question is asking in the time limit. Incidentally I sat the RBS tests and they aren't SHL from memory, but they are quite similar.
FREE SHL and Kenexa numerical test TUTORIAL SAMPLES can be downloaded here: graduatemonkey dot com
SHL test has two formats for graduate applicants. One consists of 21 questions to be answered in 21 minutes. The other is easier consisting of 18 questions to be answered in 25 minutes. The former is used by investment banks while the latter is used by finance, marketing, consulting businesses.
Kenexa PSL numerical test format is typically 20/20 i.e. 20 questions and 20 minutes. It typically involves fewer calculations. Even the seemingly hard questions have shortcut answers. The Kenexa test tutorial covers them in detail.

I never had problem with time as I know the context of test questions. And that is more important than being a math genius. PhDs and engineers fail these tests time and again. The key is to prepare in a structured way. The solution is here. Once you go through the entire tutorial, you will have mastered 90% of the test question types and most importantly the DATA CONTEXT that you will encounter on the real test.
graduatemonkey dot com
Reply 12
This is a bit late but hopefully it can help others.....I used www dot gradreasoningtests dot com to practice for my online assessments.I managed to pass the PwC Assessment Centre and didn't pay a penny for online tests.Good Luck!
Reply 13
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Thanks - the top Google result looks good. Out of curiosity, are these tests a bit like the UKCAT? Numerical/logical/verbal reasoning etc. I managed to get through that, it wasn't easy though and I do remember doing quite a bit of revision :s-smilie:.

Thanks - I'll have a look at percentages etc today. I can't believe how long it's been since I did anything like this. Hopefully it will be like riding a bike!

It's for RBS (insurance) - advising customers. Yes, I stumbled across a Uni of Kent page when googling (http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest.htm) - I'll have to have a proper look at it today.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

First thank you for this topic, it helped me a lot.Second, well it wasn't like riding a bike :wink: (at least it wasn't to me...), I guess I got quite rusty in this.Nevertheless I used those examples on Kent and these ones on TestDome (http://www.testdome.com/Aptitude-Tests) and I believe I did ok (still haven't got a reply but I'm not worried :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending