Missed my conditional offer - IB Exams/UCAS - Help please!!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
NIAP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#1
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~
0
NIAP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#2
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~
0
saachi
Badges: 13
#3
Report 8 years ago
#3
Have you considered getting your papers remarked? If you think you deserved better than you got, wait for the detailed results and then decide- if many of your subjects are bordering on higher grades (eg, if you got 70% in some subject, got a 5, and you needed only 1 or 2 marks more to get a 6) then consider paying for remarks. They take only 3-4 weeks so I'm sure your universities will wait for you.

Secondly, a score in the low 30's is not bad at all and you need to decide whether you're okay with taking a year out, because that's essentially what you'll end up doing if you resit or re apply. If you don't want to miss out a year of education, go into clearing.

Thirdly, YES PLEASE CALL UP YOUR FIRM!!!! You never know what they could say. You might not be the only one who missed your offer, Imperial and UCL are both top unis and other people probably missed their offers too. Be prepared to wait until A-level results come out, before they can make a decision. If your application was strong- good references, SOP, etc, they may still consider you.

I'm really sorry about your situation Talk to your IBC and see what else can be done, but before you do anything, please look at your detailed grades and the grade boundaries, and then decide. People have gone up 4 points because of remarks, it's happened before. Good luck.
1
Phantom_X
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#4
Report 8 years ago
#4
(Original post by NIAP)
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~


HI

I was in exactly the same situation as you two years ago- I was predicted 40 points, and got 32 on my first sitting. A lot of that was to do with personal issues, but regardless, it was a horrible experience for me too, esp. as all my friends had attained their offers.

First, don't panic. The IB is a hard course, and lots of people **** up. First of all, have a look at clearing- if there are good choices, then go for it. But make sure you are happy with that institution. I got rejected from Kings College London, but got offers in clearing from exeter and queen mary. I really didnt want to go to qmul though, so i decided to take a year out, take november-december resits, and reapplied, getting an offer at York (where I am really really happy at).

Don't put yourself down- I thought of myself as stupid for months after i received my grades, and it did nothing for my self confidence. However, I am now on route for a first and have won scholarships from York- something that a lot of my former classmates didn't achieve. So don't put yourself down, because you never know what will happen in the future.

Good luck!
2
canŵio
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#5
Report 8 years ago
#5
(Original post by NIAP)
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~
the university may not reject you officially until after a-level results come out - because they won't know if they could give you a place until then. however, it is (realistically) quite unlikely you'd get in with such a difference in grades. there will be other people who will make their grades and the uni usually offers any free places to those who missed by a very small amount - 1 point or 1 grade. one option is to ask if they're willing to defer your place until next year.

it would be a good idea to call Imperial, and ask what you could do. i think clearing is open already; it would be a good idea to look now as there are some pretty good courses still open - after a-level results day, there'll be nothing left! otherwise taking a year out isn't the end of the world, pretty much everyone who has a gap year feels great about it! plus, when you apply you might not even have to do any retakes. you should probably plan to, but the unis may give you offers based on the points you've got already.
0
Vulpes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#6
Report 8 years ago
#6
(Original post by NIAP)
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~
You are allowed to call up both your firm and insurance options to discuss missing your offer. However, as both of these universities are very competitive and your score was much lower than their offer, the chances of you being accepted are very slim, sorry.

My advice would be to firstly, call up the uni, and if you are unable to get in, go into clearing. You may find a course that you will enjoy studying via clearing and if not, you can always decide on IB resits later on.
1
crappy_punk_rok
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#7
Report 8 years ago
#7
So Guys, I think because I grew up in Australia i think a bit differently, but it suprises me how many people are in my course. :eek: I study at a place called CSBM in Wembley because i wanted to do 3D at Bournemouth. Now you need 3As for this, I got 3 Bs. But I am studying the foundation course over two years, will get 6 months paid work placement and be a member of the British computer Society at the end of this and can do my 3rd and final year at Bournemouth for half the price.
0
xXFrenchKicksXx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#8
Report 8 years ago
#8
(Original post by NIAP)
Dear all,

The IB examination results were released just recently and I have missed my conditional offer by quite a lot of points
I was predicted a 38 and ended up with a score in the really low 30s, which I am really shocked about
My firm is ICL and my insurance is UCL and the requirements for both are very similar

I haven't heard from my firm nor my insurance choice yet, so I don't really know what to do...

Should I go into clearing?
Should I resit the IB examinations in November? (I really dislike this option)
Should I call up my firm now? Am I even allowed to do so?

I am still extremely overwhelmed and haven't been able to sleep at all
My face has literally been like this --> since I saw my score
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve my problem and answer my questions asap, thanks~
I was in exactly the same position last year - predicted 36 and ended up with 32, I know the feeling!

In all honesty, it's extremely unlikely that UCL will let you in with those grades so I would start contacting other unis now. They probably won't consider you for clearing until around the 16th august when a level results come out, but you'll get a good idea of what your chances are and how popular the course is this year etc ..On the day of A level results I would get a copy of the Times clearing list in the morning and have a look at what courses are available - some of them aren't as bad as you might expect. Then start calling unis asap. Also, call up all the Russell group unis and see if there are any clearing places that weren't put in the clearing list (I got a place at cardiff for biotech this way after calling about 10 unis previously - don't give up!)

Alternatively, you could retake - a year really isn't that long and earning a bit of cash would be really good too (or you could get work exp, which would boost your cv and personal statement). I know a lot of people that did this and it isn't a bad option either, as long as you don't lose motivation.

Hope I've been useful! The IB really is utter s**t for the amount of work you have to do...if it makes you feel better, your first year of uni will be a breeze and you will enjoy it wherever you end up
1
ysgwrn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#9
Report 8 years ago
#9
(Original post by xXFrenchKicksXx)
this year etc ..On the day of A level results I would get a copy of the Times clearing list in the morning and have a look at what courses are available
ucas sent a letter recently to say this year its The Telegraph not the Times
0
XxelliexX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#10
Report 8 years ago
#10
1. Find out your marks
2. Get remarks for any subjects where you were close to the next grade up
3. Talk to teachers at your school and ask for advice
4. Ring your firm and insurance and plead your case. You might have to wait until August 16th to find out whether they'll accept you
5. If they don't accept you, either...
a) Go through clearing
b) Do resits and apply again next year
c) Apply again next year with the grades you have now
0
filren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#11
Report 8 years ago
#11
How much does it cost to get your exams remarked??

Has anyone done it ?? Is there a possibility that they will lower your score?? Then it is not worth the risk if you don't have very low points.

At my school they said you could only get a remarks if your predicted grade was very different from the grade you got !
0
logiadoevus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#12
Report 8 years ago
#12
(Original post by filren)
How much does it cost to get your exams remarked??

Has anyone done it ?? Is there a possibility that they will lower your score?? Then it is not worth the risk if you don't have very low points.

At my school they said you could only get a remarks if your predicted grade was very different from the grade you got !
I think it's around £50 for a single remark. People have done it, yes, and it can both increase and decrease your mark (it used to be only that it could increase, but IB realised that's silly and changed it).

It's worth doing if you really need the higher mark and are close to the boundary.

And you can get remarks no matter what.
0
NIAP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#13
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help - I am just going to go ahead with clearing
0
NIAP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#14
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#14
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help - I am just going to go ahead with clearing
0
Dr Dangle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#15
Report 7 years ago
#15
(Original post by NIAP)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help - I am just going to go ahead with clearing
So how did it go? Did you get what you wanted in the end?

I'm a week away from the IB exams and I need a 40 for Engineering at Imperial. Really tough considering my HLs are maths, physics and chem and my SLs are economics, English A and French A. Getting a 40 is a real stretch and I'm worried I'll fall short.
0
Isabel1206
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#16
Report 7 years ago
#16
(Original post by Dr Dangle)
So how did it go? Did you get what you wanted in the end?

I'm a week away from the IB exams and I need a 40 for Engineering at Imperial. Really tough considering my HLs are maths, physics and chem and my SLs are economics, English A and French A. Getting a 40 is a real stretch and I'm worried I'll fall short.
Yep, similar situation here - Law at Warwick and Engish A and Econ HL tomorrow. Also worried I'll fall short - though I need two point less than you do. I've been googling "missed my conditional" offer instead of studying because I'm so worried. Back to work it is! Good luck!!
0
friends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#17
Report 7 years ago
#17
hi
i missed my city offer(psychology) which was for 35 IB points and i got 33.what should i do
0
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#18
Report 7 years ago
#18
(Original post by friends)
hi
i missed my city offer(psychology) which was for 35 IB points and i got 33.what should i do
phone city at 9am monday morning and ask them if they'll still take you (and if they don't know find out WHEN they'll know). If they don't give a definite yes then have a look around for unis/courses with similar or slightly lower entry requirements and contact them to see if they are likely to have places in clearing.
0
friends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#19
Report 7 years ago
#19
thankyou going to call them tomorrow 9 am till then fingers crossed
0
nthp2013
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#20
Report 6 years ago
#20
goodluck!
0
X
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

View All