Announcements

ReputationRep:
    to degree level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    to degree level?

geography is very interesting, but for employment reasons i chose law

ReputationRep:
    do geography and then convert to law if law is what you will want to end up doing. that's what i'm doing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know about you...

But for myself, I would propose doing something that interest me. A career can easily last for 30 long years.. There's no point doing something you dislike for that long amount of time.

I strongly believe that every career has its innate capability to earn money. Of course, it's with due hardwork coupled with sparks of creativity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunice)
    I don't really know about you...

But for myself, I would propose doing something that interest me. A career can easily last for 30 long years.. There's no point doing something you dislike for that long amount of time.

I strongly believe that every career has its innate capability to earn money. Of course, it's with due hardwork coupled with sparks of creativity.
    yea sure every career has its capabilit to ear money. Some careers do earn more than others though. Studying Law gives you far greater flexibility to earn big money in the future than geography. Therefore you need to decided which thing you want to prioritize - money or interest. Ofcourse it is stupid to suffer all your life to earn money, but dont think that the more money you could earn the less interesting the course is. Many people find law extremely interesting :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    but for employment reasons i chose law
    Because there are obviously hundreds of law jobs flying around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    to degree level?
    Which one appeals to you most? Most people I know are choosing their degree course based on how useful it will be afterwards. However i still think it's important you choose something that you yourself will enjoy studying to a greater depth.

ReputationRep:
    "Some careers do earn more than others though." - True enough, I agreed that some careers do earn more than others on the surface. That's why I mentioned "due hardwork coupled with sparks of creativity", that will breed success no matter which field you are in and where does the hardword and creativity comes from? It comes from the interest within you. I don't really believe that a person, facing mundane work day in day out will be likely to come out with anything innovative. Work is just work to him, for the sake of daily bread and butter...
    a. I am sure in the early days, performers had no idea that artistes will earn that much today.
    b. Similarly, footballers will not have earn that much if not for the proliferation (i think i used the wrong term hehe..) of soccer.
    c. Women those days will never imagine they having equal rights to man today.
    d. Law will have stagnate if Judges continue to interpret statutes using Literal Approach as compared to the Purposive Approach (Lord Denning, Lord Scarman) being used nowadays or the reference to Hansard in Pepper v Hart.

"Studying Law gives you far greater flexibility to earn big money in the future than geography." - Is that a sweeping statement? Are you saying that the wide variety of topics from population studies to wave actions to tectonic movements to the studies of the atmosphere gives less flexibility than Law itself? I believe that hardly can be justified. In any case, I have known of lawyers who have been slogging their hearts off from morning 8 am to midnight 1 am and yet earn a mediocre salary (well, call them dumb or anything, but that's how life is)...

Well, this post is not to play TheWolf down or anything to that extent (I am sure he doesn't mind views from another perspective).

Every career has its own innate ability to earn fame and money. It just depends on your innovation and work attitude. And where does innovation and good work attitude usually derives from? Interest or should I call it "Passion" in that field itself?

Of course, I believe most people at the age of 18 don't really know what they want in life. Perhaps it's time for some thinking to be done or consultation to be made with their parents.

Btw, I am a first year UOL's Law student... hence I don't really think I am biased towards either sides in my statements.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing, Law is so saturated in UK coupled with the fact that the preference for top-notched money-spinner jobs are usually given to Oxbridge students (statistics have shown 75% of the Law Lords are from Oxbridge), it's quite ridiculous to think of a person who have no passion in law, would do well in the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    to degree level?
    so have you got a passion for law?

ReputationRep:
    so have you got a passion for law?
    er... i am interested in it - and i can see job prospects are often better, but i have a natural flair for geography and enjoy it a lot

ReputationRep:
    Geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    er... i am interested in it - and i can see job prospects are often better, but i have a natural flair for geography and enjoy it a lot

then try to find courses with a link between geography and law

ReputationRep:
    What do you intend to work as?

ReputationRep:
    then try to find courses with a link between geography and law
    as far as i know there are no combined honours at any reputable universities.

What do you intend to work as?
    no clue, perhaps a solicitor or a barrister? or just any office job that pays in an ok... either in an english or french speaking country - i'm fluent in both

Which one appeals to you most?
    out of those two propably geography, but its very close! and if i were to do what i wanted to, i'd do something equine based - but that really has no future to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    as far as i know there are no combined honours at any reputable universities.

no clue, perhaps a solicitor or a barrister? or just any office job that pays in an ok... either in an english or french speaking country - i'm fluent in both

out of those two propably geography, but its very close! and if i were to do what i wanted to, i'd do something equine based - but that really has no future to it!

Oh there is e.g. environment law and economics at cambridge - what grades have you got for gcse/as?

ReputationRep:
    Oh there is e.g. environment law and economics at cambridge - what grades have you got for gcse/as?
    I'm in year 11 currently...
    mock gcses:
    science - A*A*
    geo - A*
    IT - A*
    maths - A
    history - A
    food tech - A
    english - AA

gcse:
    french - A*

looking to do economics, chemistry, geography, french, and english l/l at AS and then drop french....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    I'm in year 11 currently...
    mock gcses:
    science - A*A*
    geo - A*
    IT - A*
    maths - A
    history - A
    food tech - A
    english - AA

gcse:
    french - A*

looking to do economics, chemistry, geography, french, and english l/l at AS and then drop french....
    ahh right then because you are not doing maths i wouldnt do anything linked with economics. Yea so what kinda career are you thinking of heading to?

ReputationRep:
    ahh right then because you are not doing maths i wouldnt do anything linked with economics. Yea so what kinda career are you thinking of heading to?
    i'm predicted an A* at GCSe maths, but i dont think i could do a-level maths otherwise economics would be good.

i don't know about jobs, business, something to do with the EU, civil service, marketing, HR or something law based... i don't really know!

ReputationRep:
    I know nuts about Environmental Law but the idea sounds good.. ehheh.. then you will get both sides of the world hehe..

Maybe if you are really interested, you should check that out =)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.