Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone at oxbridge know of anyone that has turned up to their interviews high/drunk and still got it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    does anyone at oxbridge know of anyone that has turned up to their interviews high/drunk and still got it?
    do you think that itll be a good idea to drink abit before you go to interview to make yourself less nervous and a bit more sociable? not too drunk though

ReputationRep:
    Lol, not a bad idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    I was under the influence for my interview. The night before, I intended to be a two-pint-king, but I told myself to have another, and another etc. No other applicants for my subject touched any drink. I had a few snakebites, which isn't a good idea in itself. I then crashed a party and had a bottle of red wine. I then found myself in the JCR half-awake, watching a film. After getting lost in a quadrangle I eventually found my bed. This was at around three o' clock.

I awoke at six and condemned myself; that was the stupidest night of my life to get whazzed. I was still drunk and was in a terrible state, and remembered that I was first for interview! I tried to look at my text book, but the words and pictures wouldn't stay still.

Anyway, that's one of my exciting drunken tales - but I got an offer, and celebrated by having a drink. And another...

J.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant!! How did you manage to say anything profound or intellectual whilst pissed? More importantly, would you say it helped you to impress in the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Brilliant!! How did you manage to say anything profound or intellectual whilst pissed? More importantly, would you say it helped you to impress in the interview?
    Hehe! As soon as I sat on the sofa I fell into it - it was one of those really soft and low ones! I don't think I said anything stupid, but in retrospect I know I made some silly chemistry errors. In one of my interviews, I was going on about carbon and its twelve electrons - after finishing the tutor told me that it has six electrons, not twelve!

I don't know if the alcohol helped, but the night after my first two interviews we had drinks with the tutors, and one of them was talking to me about the chemistry of the bubbles in my drink!

J.

ReputationRep:
    what college have you been given an offer from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    what college have you been given an offer from?
    Ah, unfortunately I received an open offer - I shall find out the college in August. I applied to Magdalen and expected to get an offer from them. To be honest I'm rather disappointed. It makes me wonder whether the alcohol played any part!

J.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably rather the interviewers that turn up pissed, not the interviewees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    do you think that itll be a good idea to drink abit before you go to interview to make yourself less nervous and a bit more sociable? not too drunk though
    wouldnt work for me! i cant do any maths/physics work when ive even had the slightest bit to drink, it just doesnt work with me. english language on the other hand got my first A in that subject last year for an essay i decided to write after having a bit to drink after a saturday night out and couldnt sleep..... maybe my teacher was drunk when marking it?!?!

Donna
    -x-

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.