how to find computer science work experience

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
mictian
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I would be an A2 student next term, and I would like to apply for computer science as a degree.
I would like to find some work experience this summer but I have no idea of what kind of work experience that I can look at ...
Please give me some advice...

Thanks
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
It'll be difficult to find, try doing some programming projects instead to showcase your skills.
LooseLogic
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
The above posts are very true.

If you're a gamer, getting involved in modding communities is always a good one. Learning new programming skills, developing the mod to work within an existing codebase, and responding to user feedback to fix bugs or develop new functionality are all good things to be able to talk about at future university or job interviews. Thinking far ahead, many employers are looking for graduates with experience so anything you can do to get and showcase that experience will be a huge advantage 4 - 5 years from now, and, grades permitting, will almost guarantee you at least an interview if you try for summer internships during your degree program.
DalePie
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mictian)
I would be an A2 student next term, and I would like to apply for computer science as a degree.
I would like to find some work experience this summer but I have no idea of what kind of work experience that I can look at ...

Thanks
The really cool thing about IT is that you can build a small business out of it, gaining experience and a solid income. Building websites, affiliate stuff, apps, modding games, inventing the next craigslist lmao! I'm into affiliate sites and between voucher codes, feeds and social media stuff there are plenty of ways to build something cool! It's probably the reason I want to do Comp Sci now.

Comp/Sci of all the degrees has to be the easiest one to invent your own experience and not have to rely on internships or any of that stuff.

You also might just find something so interesting and with so much potential that you don't even need/want a job when you finish uni.
THESHade
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DalePie)
Comp/Sci of all the degrees has to be the easiest one to invent your own experience and not have to rely on internships or any of that stuff.
Eh ...? Not sure if I totally get you in this line, mate. Can you elaborate? Do you mean it as ComSci degree in relation to a specific IT degree for example Web Dev or in relation to FE. Psychology or wtw. Iff the first, can you explain why?
vedderfan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Try the departments/research groups of your local university (if they do CS).
Lou819
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I definitely agree that doing your own projects showcases alot. I've looked at loads of IT CV's for my work experience and it's great to be able to see a portfolio of work to showcase your talents and willingness to do more than is required of you
DalePie
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by THESHade)
Eh ...? Not sure if I totally get you in this line, mate. Can you elaborate? Do you mean it as ComSci degree in relation to a specific IT degree for example Web Dev or in relation to FE. Psychology or wtw. Iff the first, can you explain why?
I'm thinking more of software engineering, which is the field most Comp Sci students work in. In this case it's really easy to showcase your talents by developing cool things and working on free/open source software. Add in volunteering for stuff like bug hunting on Linux systems or helping people out with programs just cements the idea you love working with projects, people and computers.

It's a win win .
ImNotMental
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Aye software engineering is what I'm aiming for. I've unwittingly built a portfolio already with online gaming software (graalonline namingly), they have their own "level generation" and you can go in and basically **** around, put your imagination to the test. Anyway, when I was about 14 I started arsing around with the software, learnt the coding blindly on my own and started creating an entire world, spent about 2 years on it on and off and... At best, it's a debugger's dream, but some of the stuff I've made from a young age is fantastic. Doing stuff like this and finding that you enjoy it is a great way to find out the path you want to take career wise, and the work alone done purely as a hobby really shows anyone interested that it's something I'm enthusiastic about, which is what potential employers look for. If you can't be arsed with it or find it boring, then follow a different career choice! Life is what you make of it.
ETHAN4456
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi My names Ethan and id love to this job as a work experience I live in Cornwall,Fowey if you can reply back that would be good as I love gaming and modding its awesome
Capeking
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mictian)

Thanks
Hey I wanted to ask if you did a degree and any experiences or suggestion you may want to discuss?
Java7
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Develop your own projects: software, mobile apps, websites.

And also contribute on open source projects.
pkhan
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
go to chacha kookra house. they will put in touch with lodra nama tamtaer factory who will give you a list of other organisations for kooka bola and dooda dada areas near to your home. regards
Gosi
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm looking to hire a coder for a mobile app project.
If interested let me know.
Cardiff area.
pradeepsubedi93
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
hi there, do you work in or got a company who offer work experience for the compSci student. i am 2nd year comSci student in cardiffmet looking to do work experience if you know something please let me know thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads