Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing a subject that u dont like just for the sake of getting in to OXbridge?! watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend this year has gotten into Oxford for Oriental studies (Chinese studies), first of all he really wanted to do History or Physics but he wasnt sure of his chances of getting in, so he applied to oriental studies (chinese studies) instead, and since he has A level chinese, and speaks and reads at an adult level, and has read all the books that they were GOING TO TEACH on the uni course oXford snaped him up.
    I read the course sturcture on the prospectus, and the first 2 years is mainly taken up by learning the Chinese language, history and culture, so he can really afford to lie around doin nothing for 2 years! (I think he could pass the graduation exams now if he tried!)
    He is really happy with getting into Oxford, but he says he will hate the course, but he is advising me to apply for Oriental studies also (as my chinese is on par with is), but I dont think so. Wots the point of wasting a place on a course you dont like? And if there is no challange in a course then wots the point??

Wot do u ppl think?? Do u know any other ppl who did a course they didnt like jus to get in to oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    It seems rather silly. He might try to switch course on arriving at Oxford, but that seems dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    It seems rather silly. He might try to switch course on arriving at Oxford, but that seems dishonest.
    I know someone who did that, but she was British. She felt that Oriental Studies at Cambridge would be easier to get into than Law, which she loved. When she turned up at interview, she was the only caucasian person there.

Personally, I don't even understand why you'd take a GCSE/A-level qualification in your native tongue simply to get the qualification. I choose my subjects for the challenge they offer and for the interest they provoke in.

I'd never, ever do a subject just to get an extra A/A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I know someone who did that, but she was British. She felt that Oriental Studies at Cambridge would be easier to get into than Law, which she loved. When she turned up at interview, she was the only caucasian person there.

Personally, I don't even understand why you'd take a GCSE/A-level qualification in your native tongue simply to get the qualification. I choose my subjects for the challenge they offer and for the interest they provoke in.

Eh, whats wrong with choosing a subject in order to get a high grade?
    I chose maths, further maths, and chemistry because i enjoy the subjects, yes, but i picked physics because i thought it would be easy to get an A in (doing maths, f. maths alongside). I would definitely have enjoyed RE or history more at A level, but in reality i would not have taken (and did not take) these subjects if it cost me the third A necessary for my desired course at cambridge.

Tatum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    Eh, whats wrong with choosing a subject in order to get a high grade?
    I chose maths, further maths, and chemistry because i enjoy the subjects, yes, but i picked physics because i thought it would be easy to get an A in (doing maths, f. maths alongside). I would definitely have enjoyed RE or history more at A level, but in reality i would not have taken (and did not take) these subjects if it cost me the third A necessary for my desired course at cambridge.

Tatum
    There aren't any easy As at A level (apart from IT and Media Studies) so I don't think that there's a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    There aren't any easy As at A level (apart from IT and Media Studies) so I don't think that there's a problem at all.
    Different people find different A-levels easier than others. All of my A-levels are a challenge to me, whereas I could have dossed and taken something I personally find exceptionally easy like Geography. That is not to say Geography is an easy subject, mind.

Still, I would never do it for an extra A. Life is about challenge and I want to have an intellectual quest through my A-levels.

ReputationRep:

cmon - ok we do want to study subjects because we are interested in it. But if there was a subject called Cookies Baking at gcse and you can get an A* if you can put cookies in the oven. If it is this easy and i have no interest in cookies baking - i would do it PURELY because it gives me an a*, because this would give me an advantage in the future e.g. when applying to university.

Ok, abit of exaggeration, but there is no reason why shouldnt do a subject because you find it easy. Infact i chose all my subjects at a-level because i found it easy. Not everyone is passionate about maths, german....etc but they choose it because they find it easier than other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I chose my subject mainly because I wanted to go to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    cmon - ok we do want to study subjects because we are interested in it. But if there was a subject called Cookies Baking at gcse and you can get an A* if you can put cookies in the oven. If it is this easy and i have no interest in cookies baking - i would do it PURELY because it gives me an a*, because this would give me an advantage in the future e.g. when applying to university.

Ok, abit of exaggeration, but there is no reason why shouldnt do a subject because you find it easy. Infact i chose all my subjects at a-level because i found it easy. Not everyone is passionate about maths, german....etc but they choose it because they find it easier than other subjects.
    Then I would consider the Cookies Baking an A* I did not truely earn. I did Textiles at GCSE and I can truthfully say I value that grade more than my Top Five in the country mark. I like to know that my grades are at least worth something.

(Original post by hornblower)
    I chose my subject mainly because I wanted to go to Oxford.
    Would you say you hate the subject and that you did not need to do any work towards it though?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say you hate the subject and that you did not need to do any work towards it though?
    I don't mind reading a degree in the chemistry for four/five years; it is probably my best subject. My dream was to go to Oxbridge, and my teacher said I should get in to do chemistry. My other main method for choosing it was by elimination. I did work for the subject, but didn't give it any special priority. Not giving it any special priority worked well enough - I got 97 % in a GCSE paper and 90/90 in C1. (Sorry to blow my horn!)

J.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok when you choose subjects at school that are easy for you to do, cos its school. However, as an adult, your professional life starts with your degree at uni; gcse, a-level, they go out of the door. For example, I was given the option of doing IT at gcse from year 9 onwards. But I hated it, cos it was so basic, dull and boring, I mean, teaching word processing and parts of a computer. You only need to know basic english to name the bloody "monitor"! I then took it up in year 11 cos they had advanced to databases, at least :P and then it was an easy A* affair. It was even fun, having CS on our network But that ICT gcse is not going to affect the knowledge I already had. It was purely for fun and an easy grade.

At A-level, I decided to take up music, even though I hadn't done it at gcse. It was daunting, mainly the thought of not getting an A. But, I had grown to love music during all those late nights doing my coursework, I decided even if I get a B, at least I'd enjoy it. I regret not realising the beauty of music, earlier so I could be on a par with my peers at A-level. That's one of the reasons I chose Cambridge, because it has a lot of musical activities and is acclaimed for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's all relative. While you shouldn't pick a subject that you hate just to get into a certain university, there is no reason why the choice of university can not be a factor in determining the course that you are going to do.

In my experience (I'm currently at university) people know very little about whether they will be happy with their choice. If you were interested in two subjects, one of which would get you into Oxbridge, I think it would be ok.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon people are really narrow minded if they pick a course due to the the prospects of being accepted rather than doing what they enjoy! But then that is what this world is about!

I think that if someone doesn't know what to do on the other hand... but has a broad range of interests... chosing a degree like oriental studies would be really interesting! + I know quite a few people in media... ie companies like royters that have degrees in oriental studies...!
    so it gives you lots of future prospects! if you count media lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    My friend this year has gotten into Oxford for Oriental studies (Chinese studies), first of all he really wanted to do History or Physics but he wasnt sure of his chances of getting in, so he applied to oriental studies (chinese studies) instead, and since he has A level chinese, and speaks and reads at an adult level, and has read all the books that they were GOING TO TEACH on the uni course oXford snaped him up.
    I read the course sturcture on the prospectus, and the first 2 years is mainly taken up by learning the Chinese language, history and culture, so he can really afford to lie around doin nothing for 2 years! (I think he could pass the graduation exams now if he tried!)
    He is really happy with getting into Oxford, but he says he will hate the course, but he is advising me to apply for Oriental studies also (as my chinese is on par with is), but I dont think so. Wots the point of wasting a place on a course you dont like? And if there is no challange in a course then wots the point??

Wot do u ppl think?? Do u know any other ppl who did a course they didnt like jus to get in to oxbridge?
    It seems pretty stupid to do this. If you opted for a course you didn't like as much (but still had a vague interest in!), then I suppose there would be some prospect of completing successfully......but to apply for a course you don't like then you are just foolish.

I think your friend is a total idiot, and he is trying to make you into one as well. I think he may not do as well in his degree as you might think (he'll probably try and change!!). And also, it seems very sad that someone who was genuinely interested in OS has been turned away.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.