The Student Room Group

Interview at the Disney Store - any advice?!

I just got a phone call from the Disney Store in Birmingham offering me an interview after I'd given up on hearing back from applying.

Naturally I couldn't be more happy, literally this is the part time job of my dreams! But does anyone have any advice they can give me on how to behave in the interview? What sort of questions might they ask me?

I've heard they often ask what your favourite Disney character is and why as well - my answer would probably be Gurgi from the Black Cauldron but would it be sensible to choose something a bit more well known like Lady?

Ridiculously excited - any help much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rep purely because Gurgi is your favourite Disney character. I adore him.
Reply 2
Original post by amison
Rep purely because Gurgi is your favourite Disney character. I adore him.

He's the most underrated character ever!
Wish they did a decent toy of him :/
I'm not sure what they'll be looking for (other than a love of Disney!) but most companies look for someone outgoing and customer-focused, so just make sure you're confident :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by megan.c
He's the most underrated character ever!
Wish they did a decent toy of him :/

I've been trying to get hold of one for years :frown:

On topic, just be really optimistic and enthusiastic in your interview (I've never seen someone at the Disney Store who hasn't had a permanent smile on their face) and answer confidently when they ask you questions about your experience/why you want to work there.

Good luck! :biggrin:
I worked at Disneyland Paris over Christmas, and although it's not exactly the same - it was in Merchandise. Tbh, as lush as it sounds, I don't want to dash your hopes but it is just another retail job, after all. Don't let it quash your Disney lurve (I know that could never be the case, though :love:). I would just show your enthusiasm as they do of course want friendly customer service, but otherwise I'd treat it like any retail job interview.

PS Watched the Black Cauldron again for the 444853749th time. Gotta love Gurgi, but I'm still **** scared of the Horned King.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by inksplodge
I'm not sure what they'll be looking for (other than a love of Disney!) but most companies look for someone outgoing and customer-focused, so just make sure you're confident :smile:

I'll probably be trying to stop myself bouncing off the walls! I'll try and surpress it in favour of confidence though!

Original post by amison
I've been trying to get hold of one for years :frown:

On topic, just be really optimistic and enthusiastic in your interview (I've never seen someone at the Disney Store who hasn't had a permanent smile on their face) and answer confidently when they ask you questions about your experience/why you want to work there.

Good luck! :biggrin:

They have some on eBay but they're awful and don't look like him :frown: I have a little Gurgi pin badge though which is alright (still not a great likeness though!). Smiling won't be a problem, I'll be very happy to be there after all! I think I'll try and prepare everything they could possibly ask me though.

Original post by Stressworthy
I worked at Disneyland Paris over Christmas, and although it's not exactly the same - it was in Merchandise. Tbh, as lush as it sounds, I don't want to dash your hopes but it is just another retail job, after all. Don't let it quash your Disney lurve (I know that could never be the case, though :love:). I would just show your enthusiasm as they do of course want friendly customer service, but otherwise I'd treat it like any retail job interview.

PS Watched the Black Cauldron again for the 444853749th time. Gotta love Gurgi, but I'm still **** scared of the Horned King.

Ohh my friend worked there over christmas, she's there now as well - don't supposed you knew a girl called Emily in the Star Tours gift shop?
I really do want a job in retail anyway, this just happens to be in a store I love :smile: The girl who told me about the applications in the first place said it was the best job in the world, but I'll try not to hold it too highly! (hard!)

Thank you for your advice everyone! I'll just try and be confident in my answers and seem enthusiastic (but not act like an excitable child!)
Reply 7
Original post by megan.c
I just got a phone call from the Disney Store in Birmingham offering me an interview after I'd given up on hearing back from applying.

Naturally I couldn't be more happy, literally this is the part time job of my dreams! But does anyone have any advice they can give me on how to behave in the interview? What sort of questions might they ask me?

I've heard they often ask what your favourite Disney character is and why as well - my answer would probably be Gurgi from the Black Cauldron but would it be sensible to choose something a bit more well known like Lady?

Ridiculously excited - any help much appreciated!

May I ask how you applied? Did you hand a CV in or apply online? And did you get the job by the way? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lucciexo
May I ask how you applied? Did you hand a CV in or apply online? And did you get the job by the way? :smile:

I struck up a conversation with the cashier I was being served by, mentioned she must love her job and she just handed me an application! I handed it in with a CV and a boss of a covering letter. They hadn't advertised their vacancies anywhere so it was a case of having to ask in store, still had 100+ applicants though.

And yeah I did :biggrin: got training on Sunday :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by megan.c
I struck up a conversation with the cashier I was being served by, mentioned she must love her job and she just handed me an application! I handed it in with a CV and a boss of a covering letter. They hadn't advertised their vacancies anywhere so it was a case of having to ask in store, still had 100+ applicants though.

And yeah I did :biggrin: got training on Sunday :smile:

well done megan! just wondering, how long did it take them to get back in touch with you? i had an interview at a different disney store exactly a week ago, they said that if we didn't hear from them within 10 days then we should presume we hadn't been successful...it's been 7 so i'm starting to presume i didn't get it but i'm hoping SO badly that i might maybe possibly hear from them before wednesday!
Reply 10
Original post by safety_pin
well done megan! just wondering, how long did it take them to get back in touch with you? i had an interview at a different disney store exactly a week ago, they said that if we didn't hear from them within 10 days then we should presume we hadn't been successful...it's been 7 so i'm starting to presume i didn't get it but i'm hoping SO badly that i might maybe possibly hear from them before wednesday!

It wasn't that long for me, three days I think but saying that they interviewed 7 people for 12 positions and only felt 3 were right for the job so obviously didn't need much time - if they've interviewed more people for you then they might need a bit longer and have to use the 10 days.

You know the original card which says after 28 days of no response you may not have an interview? It was about 40 days after I handed my CV in that I got a phone call from them so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the time limit. How do you think your interview went?
Reply 11
Oh and anyone interested in the Gurgi situation - his name now rests proudly under mine on my name badge (even though my manager had no idea who he was in my interview!) xD
Reply 12
Original post by megan.c
It wasn't that long for me, three days I think but saying that they interviewed 7 people for 12 positions and only felt 3 were right for the job so obviously didn't need much time - if they've interviewed more people for you then they might need a bit longer and have to use the 10 days.

You know the original card which says after 28 days of no response you may not have an interview? It was about 40 days after I handed my CV in that I got a phone call from them so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the time limit. How do you think your interview went?

awesome, thanks for getting back to me! oh wow, they must really be searching hard for people who they think are right for the job, you must have done amazingly well to get hired, well done! how is training going?

i was part of a group of 5 and they said they would like to hire 3 people. they said that so far we were the only ones they had were felt suitable for interview but then the manager said that there was a chance that they might be organising more interviews during the week...not sure if that is a positive or a negative!

ooh i never had one of the original cards but that makes me feel better haha, thanks a lot - hopefully it's just taking them a while to think about it!

i hoooope it went okay - i felt like i answered the questions well and showed them how much i love disney, i just worried that i'd repeated myself on a few occasions etc so wasn't sure. i did tell them i was available full time though, and that i can do sundays (which seemed really important to them) so i hoped that would work in my favour (as opposed to a couple of others who had college, etc)! gaahh i hate waiting, but if i've not heard back from them by wednesday i'm gonna call and see what they say cos that makes it spot on 10 days. i really hope i do hear from them! thanks for replying, made me feel a lot better :smile:
Reply 13
awesome, thanks for getting back to me! oh wow, they must really be searching hard for people who they think are right for the job, you must have done amazingly well to get hired, well done! how is training going?

i was part of a group of 5 and they said they would like to hire 3 people. they said that so far we were the only ones they had were felt suitable for interview but then the manager said that there was a chance that they might be organising more interviews during the week...not sure if that is a positive or a negative!

ooh i never had one of the original cards but that makes me feel better haha, thanks a lot - hopefully it's just taking them a while to think about it!

i hoooope it went okay - i felt like i answered the questions well and showed them how much i love disney, i just worried that i'd repeated myself on a few occasions etc so wasn't sure. i did tell them i was available full time though, and that i can do sundays (which seemed really important to them) so i hoped that would work in my favour (as opposed to a couple of others who had college, etc)! gaahh i hate waiting, but if i've not heard back from them by wednesday i'm gonna call and see what they say cos that makes it spot on 10 days. i really hope i do hear from them! thanks for replying, made me feel a lot better :smile:

Thanks I like to think so xD The training I went to was loads of videos explaining what to do in certain situations and the history of Disney, I've done two shifts as well now and it's been really easy work to pick up to be honest :smile:

If they're hiring less people than they're interviewing then I would think they'd definately be thinking about it a lot more. I was really amazed that of the 100+ people who applied my store only wanted to hire three, means more shifts for me though which is fiiine!

I know that me and another of the girls who got hired both said that we would have college and uni to work around in September, but if you're going to be available full time that can't be a downside :smile: There was looads of repeating ourselves in our interview too, I came out genuinely not having a clue about how well I had done. Oh, and apparently experience doesn't matter at all and they look more at what type of person you are, someone in my interview had worked at Disney before so I assumed she'd get it for definite but apparently she was rejected.

Give them a call wednesday, can't hurt to show you are keen. And good luck :smile: It's a really nice place to work and the benefits and discounts are amazing!
Reply 14
How did you apply? :-)
Reply 15
Original post by Deziah
How did you apply? :-)

I asked in store and handed in an application along with a CV and cover letter explaining why I felt right for the job :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by megan.c
I asked in store and handed in an application along with a CV and cover letter explaining why I felt right for the job :smile:

Did they give you the application form? :-)
Reply 17
They did :smile: the position wasn't actually advertised anywhere, presumably so they minimised the amount of people applying.
Reply 18
Original post by megan.c
Thanks I like to think so xD The training I went to was loads of videos explaining what to do in certain situations and the history of Disney, I've done two shifts as well now and it's been really easy work to pick up to be honest :smile:

If they're hiring less people than they're interviewing then I would think they'd definately be thinking about it a lot more. I was really amazed that of the 100+ people who applied my store only wanted to hire three, means more shifts for me though which is fiiine!

I know that me and another of the girls who got hired both said that we would have college and uni to work around in September, but if you're going to be available full time that can't be a downside :smile: There was looads of repeating ourselves in our interview too, I came out genuinely not having a clue about how well I had done. Oh, and apparently experience doesn't matter at all and they look more at what type of person you are, someone in my interview had worked at Disney before so I assumed she'd get it for definite but apparently she was rejected.

Give them a call wednesday, can't hurt to show you are keen. And good luck :smile: It's a really nice place to work and the benefits and discounts are amazing!

aw definitely! you must've seriously impressed them! ooh that training sounds so much fun, history of disney would be my favourite. i suppose the more time you spend there the easier it'll get, usually once you've learnt the basics like the till and the specifics of that certain place then it feels more relaxed and natural :smile:

that's a good point actually, i didn't think about it like that! fingers crossed they are just spending a long time thinking about it and haven't just thought i am awful haha ;( credit to you for being one of the 3 they hired, that is such an achievement, and the extra shifts must be awesome especially during the summer. i suppose with somewhere like disney it's a biggg deal about having appropriate sales assistants/cast members, even more so than other places because it's all about spreading the magic! so i guess they wouldn't want people who don't seem too interested in disney or too fussed about talking to children or that sort of thing.

ah okay, thanks for letting me know about that! haha i was the exact same, i kept saying how the best thing to do with a complaining customer is to "listen to them and acknowledge them" and felt so stupid when i realised how many times i'd said it...then at one point i said the beast is "just a bit of a douche really, until he falls in love with belle" and then thought OH MY GOD YOU JUST CALLED THE BEAST A DOUCHE, THAT IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WHEN YOU TELL STORIES TO THE CHILDREN WHO COME INTO THE DISNEY STORE, i'm really hoping they either didn't hear or somehow managed to realise that i don't say things like that apart from when i am terrified and have lost my grasp of adjectives, ha :frown:

oh wow, that's interesting to hear about the girl who worked at disney before but didn't get hired! i felt like they thought that it's great to have an interest in disney but it needs to be more than that (hard work, enthusiasm, care for children, etc), so i hope i showed them a bit of everything. like you said though, it's hard to tell, i genuinely have no idea whether i did well or not.

thanks for the advice, i will for sure! waa i would love the discounts so much, got my eye on the disney princess mug collection at the moment haha :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
aw definitely! you must've seriously impressed them! ooh that training sounds so much fun, history of disney would be my favourite. i suppose the more time you spend there the easier it'll get, usually once you've learnt the basics like the till and the specifics of that certain place then it feels more relaxed and natural :smile:

that's a good point actually, i didn't think about it like that! fingers crossed they are just spending a long time thinking about it and haven't just thought i am awful haha ;( credit to you for being one of the 3 they hired, that is such an achievement, and the extra shifts must be awesome especially during the summer. i suppose with somewhere like disney it's a biggg deal about having appropriate sales assistants/cast members, even more so than other places because it's all about spreading the magic! so i guess they wouldn't want people who don't seem too interested in disney or too fussed about talking to children or that sort of thing.

ah okay, thanks for letting me know about that! haha i was the exact same, i kept saying how the best thing to do with a complaining customer is to "listen to them and acknowledge them" and felt so stupid when i realised how many times i'd said it...then at one point i said the beast is "just a bit of a douche really, until he falls in love with belle" and then thought OH MY GOD YOU JUST CALLED THE BEAST A DOUCHE, THAT IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WHEN YOU TELL STORIES TO THE CHILDREN WHO COME INTO THE DISNEY STORE, i'm really hoping they either didn't hear or somehow managed to realise that i don't say things like that apart from when i am terrified and have lost my grasp of adjectives, ha :frown:

oh wow, that's interesting to hear about the girl who worked at disney before but didn't get hired! i felt like they thought that it's great to have an interest in disney but it needs to be more than that (hard work, enthusiasm, care for children, etc), so i hope i showed them a bit of everything. like you said though, it's hard to tell, i genuinely have no idea whether i did well or not.

thanks for the advice, i will for sure! waa i would love the discounts so much, got my eye on the disney princess mug collection at the moment haha :wink:

I really don't think I did that much to impress, the whole staff are very close so I guess they must have thought about who they'd want to spend time with, if there is one thing I'm good at it's being nice! The atmosphere is so relaxed anyway that I'm able to just get on with it and ask anyone questions as and when I feel like it, I really like working the tills and seeing the walls of stuff in the stock room.

The extra shifts are amazing. My pay check for August is going to be great considering I'm doing a couple of 20 hour weeks (lots of over time!). Talking to guests and children is a massive part of the job, literally it's in my contract to spread the magic of Disney, I think most of the people who they interviewed all wanted to be teachers as well so that helped for us.

Listening and acknowledging is definately the right answer so don't worry about not impressing with that xD Though the douche thing might not have bode well, hopefully they will just assume it was from nerves though! How did that even happen?

Think the girl who worked for Disney before seemed really really overly bubbly, whereas me and the third girl in my interview (who also got hired) were a bit more like "Yeah it would be exciting but obviously we're here for a reason!". And like I said, they seemed to hire people who were similar to them and they're quite calm (but very happy and jokey!) people so she may not have fit in.

I'm going mad when I get paid - I want soo much stuff, and I keep seeing things in the store that I'd never have thought I wanted as well. These dolls are right across from the tills so always looking at me and they are soo beautiful (more so than on the website).

Good luck is all I can say :smile: Hope you hear from them soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending