Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone! this is my first time posting... anyway...

i have to choose my a level subjects within the next two weeks and i'm completly confused as to what would be benificial to me.

i had thought about:
    music
    bio
    physics
    ICT (or) french

my careers teacher said its unlikely i'd get to do nething wonderful with music other than teach it lol.
    i didnt do ict at gcse but u can pick it up for a lvls but once again, the careers teacher said it would be uinlikely that there would be enough places to allow new comers in.
    ALSO
    i read somwhere that the rush of pupils doing their alvls etc in ICT dont really have jobs because there are too many qualified IT people out there.

any help would be extremely appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I managed an A in ICT without doing th GCSE...its an easy subject and hence isn't worth all that much. I would recommend doing the french, and perhaps maths instead of music.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply.
    i understand were ur coming from with the french instead of ICT, and i think your right.
    but as for the music/maths. i've been entered for intermediate maths level at gcse because im in a low class because there were too many people going into the high classes and now more space was left (this goes for about 5 of us in this class). the highest i can get is a B and im guessing to go ahead with a math subject, you would be needing a's?

ReputationRep:
    French is generally considered a lot more tricky than ICT. You'd be better off doing a proper Computing A level if you were into that sort of thing, but French is definitely a good and well respected qualification. I'd definitely go with that anyway (although I am terrible at French myself!)

Physics is good too. But really, none of your choices seem to fit together very well - French, Physics, Biology and Music? As I say Physics is well respected, but it's not really going to get anywhere to do with Phyiscs anyway seen as you're not doing Maths. And you need Chemistry to get into anything medical too, diminishing the importance of your Biology a bit. Personally I'd swap Biology for English (or some other arty subject) and possibly look into doing work related to communications; possibly even a translator if you're good at it.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what your school says about this...mine would allow you to do the A level maths with a B, but it had te on the higher paper. Is it too late to ask them to change you to the higher?

ReputationRep:
    Remember when you make you choices, that it should also be something you will enjoy studying, that will challenge you!

ReputationRep:
    ICT will not help unless you want a specific job related to that course. General ICT is a broad qualification. The ICT AVCE is only for those who wish to follow a route in that career - i.e. web design or media. However, it doesnt affect degree level.
    French is good because many companies need foreign speakers. It is a difficult course, but if you do well then you have great prospects.
    Maths is really difficult (S1 is fine...P suckS! lol) but it is great for jobs and would be a good qualification.

Depends what you want to be. Thats whats affected my choice. I have chosen a ICT subject because I am doing a career in that field. You should learn the basics in your key skills lessons anyway (if you do them). It is hard to decide. I hate maths but I might end up doing it.

ReputationRep:
    As for A-Level maths, at my school it required a B - preferable on the higher paper (since it includes some extra bits compared to the intermediate course) - but they do allow people with B's at intermediate to do the A-level course - usually they give them some work to do over the hols.

Biology is a fun A-level - but If you want to do anything biological [Medicine to general biology degree's] they usually require chemistry.

Physics is a good A-level which is well respected - if you understand maths and don't mind learning formulae it's quite enjoyable.

Languages are usually well respected - especially if you get a 'good' grade, it opens up your options later on, although I hear it can be quite time consuming.

What are you planning on doing after your A-levels? Have you got any predicted GCSE grades yet?

ReputationRep:
    im not exactly brilliant at english lol (infact im better at french than i am at english) and i usually only get c's in english. maths is easy enough at the intermediate level, but my friends do higher and add. maths and the work they have to do is way over my head lol.

im crap at chem but fine at physics and bio lol
    what's economics like (not home economics)?
    but then i guess you would need maths with it too.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    well i did the trials and the way they were, i didnt revise well at all and got c's in everything but got b's in frnech and geo so im guessing if i did revise i would be getting quite good grades like b's or above.
    ---
    i have no job ideas and when i went for my careers interview all the man told me was what i COULDNT do rather than what would help.
    would economics and a language be good, because if i got a business or somthing like that, knowing another language would help?
    ------
    lol, soz i sound really dumb but i am really soiling them atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alan006)
    hi everyone! this is my first time posting... anyway...

i have to choose my a level subjects within the next two weeks and i'm completly confused as to what would be benificial to me.

i had thought about:
    music
    bio
    physics
    ICT (or) french
    I'd recommend Maths, Bio, Physics and French.

ReputationRep:
    AS level french is shockingly easy! i'm predicted two As in the first to modules, and i'm in year 11 (took GCSE 1 year early) its quite dossy until you get to the oral (module 3)! gah!

ReputationRep:
    Take what you think you will enjoy, not just what is 'respectable'

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.