Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There shouldn't be exams at 7, it just way too early for exams!!!

ReputationRep:
    And at what age is "perfect" for exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    And at what age is "perfect" for exams?
    No age is 'perfect' but its ridiculous to have it soo early, and i think there is way too much pressure from exams to have it so early. Someone kills themselves every year with the prospect of GCSEs, and thats too harsh for 7 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    No age is 'perfect' but its ridiculous to have it soo early, and i think there is way too much pressure from exams to have it so early. Someone kills themselves every year with the prospect of GCSEs, and thats too harsh for 7 year olds.
    Too "harsh"? Exams whether you realise it or not, we recieve everyday. As in the form of homework. That is a personal exam.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were talking about the time of exams.

I think having exams at 7 years old isn't very clever. I don't really see the point of it, who looks at your SAT scores from primary school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I thought you were talking about the time of exams.

I think having exams at 7 years old isn't very clever. I don't really see the point of it, who looks at your SAT scores from primary school?
    ja, but it helps teachers to guage progress and set pupils accordingly all your SAT scores are passed on to secondry skool, where they start your career there. the effect they have obviously dwindles by the time you're doing gcses, but they serve as important indicators early on. like the damn CAT exam.

ReputationRep:
    7 is slightly young but not too young. They're not being pressurised, it's just a way to measure their ability.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with external examinations at seven years old; there was no pressure on us at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I don't see the problem with external examinations at seven years old; there was no pressure on us at all.

same here.

its only a problem if you stress kids out. i wasnt stresed bout any of my sats..and yet my little sister got stressed bout hers when she was 11.

its an Exam, get over it.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    same here.

its only a problem if you stress kids out. i wasnt stresed bout any of my sats..and yet my little sister got stressed bout hers when she was 11.

love Katy ***
    That's exactly my point, introducing a public exam so early makes people stress out unnecesaarily and thats the wrong mindset for a 7 year old. They shouldn't be worried about what exam grades they're going to get tho progress tests and stuff are much more useful without such pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    same here.

love Katy ***
    Here here. None of us had to worry about the KS2 ones in Year 6 either.

ReputationRep:
    well there's me thinking his post was about having exams at 7 in the morning!

whoopsy!!

ReputationRep:
    aren't they supposed to start at 9 oclock?

<tumbleweed>

ReputationRep:
    well i obviously don't bloody know, do i?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    <tumbleweed>
    and i'm just getting that, you cheeky little ****!!! lol

yes i'm slow, but it's sunday morning for god's sake!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    There shouldn't be exams at 7, it just way too early for exams!!!
    i had my first ones at 6, to see if i would be in GATE......i threw up all over the questioner....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    ja, but it helps teachers to guage progress and set pupils accordingly all your SAT scores are passed on to secondry skool, where they start your career there. the effect they have obviously dwindles by the time you're doing gcses, but they serve as important indicators early on. like the damn CAT exam.
    you guys have to take the SAT 9 to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i had my first ones at 6, to see if i would be in GATE......i threw up all over the questioner....
    Was that nerves or just because you were sick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Was that nerves or just because you were sick?
    i dont know........im semi claustrophobic and they used to do the IQ part in a small room with no windows.......so it might have been both!

needless to say, that year i didnt pass........the next year i did.

*GATE is gifted and talented edu......(supposed to be for the top 5% in CA schools)

ReputationRep:
    my friends are adament that we had SATs in infant school, but i don't think i was in that day!

then we had them in year 6, i enjoyed them, i just love maths tests!!!

i had 554, (4 in english), then in year 9 i had 776 (6 in english)

always been **** at english!

it is a bit young to have tests, mind. infant and junior schools are meant to be spent having fun and making things out of blocks and sand!

anyway...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.