The Student Room Group

Liverpool - Foundation to Health and Veterinary Studies (Year 0)

I'm thinking of applying to the above course, but does anyone have any experience of it that they can share with me?

Additionally, what is their Veterinary Science BVSc course like?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Can't say about the year 0 course but can give you info on the BVSc course. Do you want to know anything in particular? At the minute the course is traditional (preclinical years 1-3 in Liverpool, clinical 4-5 on the Wirral outside the busy city). In first year we learn about anatomy, physiology, histology, behaviour and welfare, biochem, nutrition & animals in different industries, genetics.... etc. We have little animal handling classes (though do have some) but we do have a lot of other practical classes (dissections, looking at fetal material & skeletons, histology). In first semester you will have around 2-4 lectures a day, and then in second semester this is gradually increased.

I have heard they are thinking of making it more integrated like their medicine course, or like the Notts course, but not sure if/when this will be done.

The city is a really nice place to live - lots of things to do and places to go both during the daytime and at night time.
Reply 2
I've just completed this course this year and now have a place on the Veterinary course at Liverpool. I thought it was fantastic. It's ran at Carmel college in St Helens and the tutors are great! The head of department, Carmen Nunez (also the biology tutor) is the most enthusiastic tutor I have ever met.
You have to get 70% overall to continue but the best part is it's a GUARANTEED place if you do!
You do biology, chemistry, maths and professional studies.
Lots of info about it on University of Liverpool website. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tigger1
I've just completed this course this year and now have a place on the Veterinary course at Liverpool. I thought it was fantastic. It's ran at Carmel college in St Helens and the tutors are great! The head of department, Carmen Nunez (also the biology tutor) is the most enthusiastic tutor I have ever met.
You have to get 70% overall to continue but the best part is it's a GUARANTEED place if you do!
You do biology, chemistry, maths and professional studies.
Lots of info about it on University of Liverpool website. :smile:

Hi, thank you for this! I am also interested in this course this year - do you know how many students they take on for this specific course at Carmel? I phoned Liverpool yesterday and asked about the closing date - apparently it was April this year for 2012 entry, can you confirm that? In addition, do you only fill out the application form online and NOT through UCAS? Finally, can you advise what qualifications and grades you had and if an interview was the means of deciding who is suitable for the course? Sorry for the question bombarding! Thank you in advance for any help :smile:
Reply 4
I'm starting this course in a few weeks.
You dont apply through ucas but apply direct to the university. Theres only five places on the course, this year 40 people applied and 16 were interviewed so selection will be based on several factors including interview.
The deadline for applications was April but they didnt send interview letters out until June so its a long old process.

Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Blimey that is a long wait! Was the interview similar to other vet med interviews (i.e problem solving, work experience questions etc) or completely different? I don't expect specifics - I know that is a bit taboo here!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
From what I understand it was exactly the same formula yes, nine stations with questions on problem solving, ethics and so on.
Reply 7
Yes thats right with the interview set up. You get 1 rest station in addition to the 9 interview ones.
The entry requirements are 5 GCSE's at minimum grade B which must include english language, maths and 1 science subject. Lots of info on the Uni website.
That's in addition to work experience. It's not stated how much is required, but as always, more is always better! It's good to be committed and pro-active, rather than being spoon fed information, that makes a good impression. :smile:
Reply 8
I start this course on the 24th of this month and will then be progressing onto diagnostic radiography is anyone else doing the same?
Can you have A levels and apply onto this course?
Reply 10
Original post by BlueSparkleDust
Can you have A levels and apply onto this course?

I got kbd for it cause I had Alevels apparently it's not a backup option

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Beggy15
I got kbd for it cause I had Alevels apparently it's not a backup option

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What's kbd? But I am guessing they wouldn't let you on the course. :frown:
Reply 12
Anyone applied for this course for 2014?????????????
Hi all, i'm currently on this course. studying at Birkenhead college. couldn't speak highly enough of the course and the tutors. first semester you do an essay in psychology, maths exam and biology exam (health professionals not medics, they do different modules. chemistry i think) and also have to complete a portfolio over the year. just started sem 2 and we are doing maths and biology again, but instead of psychology we are doing health and social care module. The pace of the biology is really fast and we are covering topics in a matter of hours when really we need weeks. this year we need 60% average overall and each exam you must get 40% in order to avoid a resit.
My advice to you for getting on this course is go and get loads of experience in your chosen profession before interviews, they are not really bothered about grades, experience is key. must have life skills, maturity and experience.
erm there are 13 of us split between physio, OT, radiotherapy and radiography. so limited numbers!! ranging from 21-40+
any questions im more than happy to answer as i would have loved this a year ago.
Reply 14
Do you think I may be considered as i have recently completed a diploma course in the university as a theatre practitioner? as the entry criteria states must be out of education for last 5 years?
wouldnt see why not, i was only out of education for 2 years and this year there are people with full degrees so unless they have changed the rules. its very competitive (especially for physios) and probably more this year as it wasen't on UCAS last year
Reply 16
I've just been accepted for this course to start September this year :smile: Can anyone help with any recommendations of any prior reading I can do to help me prepare for it, it's been a while since I last studied so would be good to get my brain working again.

Thanks
A level biology books, microscopes, genetics, cells, enzymes, mitosis + meiosis is all in first semester biology, have a look over that stuff but dont stress that you need to know everything before.. what are you progressing onto? and birkenhead or carmel?
Reply 18
Hi, I've also been accepted to start this September. I was wondering how many days / hours is the course per week? Thanks.
Hi, I am interested in this course and am trying to get as much information as I can, your comments above was very helpful, I'm 24 and currently in full time work but want to go back to education for a different career path, can you give me any advice on when I need to apply, I understand it may be too late to start the 2014 course but for next year when would I need to apply? thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending