The Student Room Group

Need help with references

I have applied for a voluntary role and so, I tried contacting my former store manager to ask if I could mention her name as a referee. I used to work in retail by the way. But they told me that my former store manager left a few months ago. So, I am a bit confused as even when applying for jobs in the future I might need reference from my previous employer. Any help on what I can do in this case?
Original post by dreamsunlimited
I have applied for a voluntary role and so, I tried contacting my former store manager to ask if I could mention her name as a referee. I used to work in retail by the way. But they told me that my former store manager left a few months ago. So, I am a bit confused as even when applying for jobs in the future I might need reference from my previous employer. Any help on what I can do in this case?

Ask the current manager if they give basic references, ie will confirm the dates you worked, the job you worked at and your disciplinary record. If they will, then that's fine, you put down the company address. If not, then you don't have a reference (think about other senior staff that you might be able to contact). Employers sometimes suggest referees they want references from, but they understand that except for specific jobs, it is not obligatory to give a reference and you can't dictate who gives on and who doesn't.

You shouldn't be volunteering referee details until you are asked for them by the potential employer to begin with. Then if they ask for someone you just haven't got, contact them and just tell them that you don't have person X, but you can offer person Y or person Z and which would they prefer.

If you have to fill in a form, either ring, or just fill in the name of someone you can get a reference from (with the usual rules of not family or friends).
Thanks for the advice:smile: I will contact the current manager and see what response I get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending