Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please help me i would greatly appreciate it! applied to three med courses at queen mary's, kings and bsms got all rejects with no interviews but now made me determined to be doctor even more. my predicted grades are AAB but i think that is going to be a struggle to get and apparenty u cant reapply to med schools after youve been rejected is it silly for me to keep on with this doctor thing? how would i get into medicine now seeming i cant fast track as i don't reall want to do biomed. my heart isn't in it as much as med so i won't do well in it to get a good enough degree to get into med school.

ReputationRep:
    You could try UCAS extra, but only about 50% of the unis have applied to be in the scheme. You could do clearing, where your teacher rings up on results day and sees if theres any place available.

You really should have had another option for your 4th option where it is an insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    You have several options: UCAS extra (though I don't know if this will work for Medicine), clearing (though there will be very few places, you might get lucky), and if that fails, re-apply next year and have a gap year. If you work really hard and get your AAB, or even better AAA, get some more work experience, reconstruct your application and apply to 4 this time, then you will have another chance at it. I'd do that rather than another degree then fast track medicine, as it's even harder to get into graduate med courses.

ReputationRep:
    you could do a gap year with relevant work experience maybe? did you do any before you applied?

ReputationRep:
    you say you're even more motivated now than before, which i can relate to because this year I had something i really wanted refused me and i just went on to prove them wrong.. you have good grades AAB is perfectly acceptable ffor med.. so i say go and do a gap year, (youll have to make sure you do loads of diffferent work exp stuff otherwise if you waste the time theyll look at you even less favourably than someone who hasnt done a gap year at all) get travelling, volunteering is always a good one. the st johns ambulance do good courses and a friend of ine is able to shadow an ambulance team for the summer when she completes her training course with st johns. contact local people and groups who will be inclined to help you because youre local.. if you cant get work exp at hospitals.. go and volunteer at a coffee morning there - youll end up talking to a nurse or someone there who will ask why youve come and you can tell them that it was the only opportunity to get into the hospital so you did it.. you never know, that nurse might just mention your name to someone and you could be offered a place to come in and help. since medicine is all about being the underdog for at least the first couple of years as a junior doctor, youve got to prove you can hack clearing up blood and sick on friday night A and E so even if you are just running around being the go-fer youre showing your commitment.. if youve got a bit more cash then try going abroad for a couple fo months. there are loads of opportunities if you look carefully for small scale projects (india/africa/south america) helping in health centres in shanty towns etc.. dont give up! it sound slike you have the drive and motivation to really get what you want.. so why fall at the first hurdle? take this rejection and turn it into the perfect opportunity to try something new. im a great believer in fate and that things always work out for the best whatever is thrown at you - it may sound corny but it really is true. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Awww dont worry. Just work hard and get your predicted grades, and phone up on results day to some medical schools and who knows you may be lucky enough and get a place.

ReputationRep:
    What I would do is - as the others have said - try for the grades and phone round on results day. Unfortunetaly the limited amount of places may make this difficult to secure a place. Yet if you have ABB or better then take the year out and reapply. A year goes soo fast and it will be worth it if you get onto the course you want to do. When you reapply make sure that some of those schools usually give offers of ABB and so you will have already exceeded their requirements...I think most London unis and Dundee and Aberdeen give this level of offer. With your year out get as much work experience as is possible. I believe the amount of work experience I had for veterinary medicine got me the interviews (which is what you really need) and then the offers. Good luck - if you want it youll get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    you say you're even more motivated now than before, which i can relate to because this year I had something i really wanted refused me and i just went on to prove them wrong.. you have good grades AAB is perfectly acceptable ffor med.. so i say go and do a gap year, (youll have to make sure you do loads of diffferent work exp stuff otherwise if you waste the time theyll look at you even less favourably than someone who hasnt done a gap year at all) get travelling, volunteering is always a good one. the st johns ambulance do good courses and a friend of ine is able to shadow an ambulance team for the summer when she completes her training course with st johns. contact local people and groups who will be inclined to help you because youre local.. if you cant get work exp at hospitals.. go and volunteer at a coffee morning there - youll end up talking to a nurse or someone there who will ask why youve come and you can tell them that it was the only opportunity to get into the hospital so you did it.. you never know, that nurse might just mention your name to someone and you could be offered a place to come in and help. since medicine is all about being the underdog for at least the first couple of years as a junior doctor, youve got to prove you can hack clearing up blood and sick on friday night A and E so even if you are just running around being the go-fer youre showing your commitment.. if youve got a bit more cash then try going abroad for a couple fo months. there are loads of opportunities if you look carefully for small scale projects (india/africa/south america) helping in health centres in shanty towns etc.. dont give up! it sound slike you have the drive and motivation to really get what you want.. so why fall at the first hurdle? take this rejection and turn it into the perfect opportunity to try something new. im a great believer in fate and that things always work out for the best whatever is thrown at you - it may sound corny but it really is true. good luck!
    thank u so so much for your reply and everyone else's reply i was just wondering as i don't have the money to travel is it a disadvantage because many people think of a gap year as a time to travel so would i be missing out even if i do a lot of work experinece here and would they question me on the interview why i did not go aboard. if it is such a big diadvantage i could apply for a job to save up but i don't know whats best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen 99)
    thank u so so much for your reply and everyone else's reply i was just wondering as i don't have the money to travel is it a disadvantage because many people think of a gap year as a time to travel so would i be missing out even if i do a lot of work experinece here and would they question me on the interview why i did not go aboard. if it is such a big diadvantage i could apply for a job to save up but i don't know whats best.
    Well, no, they won't discriminate against you just because you don't go abroad. What they will look for is that you've spent your time constructively. Working, ideally in a medically related environment, but if not then any kind of work is good. Work experience is also very important - get as much in as you can. If you want to go abroad, by all means do, but don't feel you have to. Just use your time wisely.

I would recommend getting some time abroad - I did it and it was two of the best months of my life. It needn't be too expensive either - there are american summer camp programmes that don't cost too much to join, and which are meant to be really fun. Do what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    And rather than applying to the hospital itself for a work placement, try applying to individual departments e.g. Eye Clinic, Occ Health etc - you'll be more likely to get a placement in an individual department than on a ward IMO, plus it's more interesting observing in clinics than it is doing general ward experience, as you'll see a larger variety of cases and you'll be able to see the medical profession from more than one aspect Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    you can always do a biomedical sciences degree and then transfer to a post-grad medical course

http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/...es/medgrad.htm

this is what one of my mates is doing.. takes longer but still gets you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    you can always do a biomedical sciences degree and then transfer to a post-grad medical course

http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/...es/medgrad.htm

this is what one of my mates is doing.. takes longer but still gets you there.
    You can, but it's very hard to get onto them - harder than for undergrad medicine! Take a gap year and reapply, then do the Biomedical Sciences route if you don't get a place next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen 99)
    dont worry about going abroad (and it pisses me off a bit when people start comparing how far away or remote they went on their gap year.. but then my schools full of daddy's money girls..) its the amount of effort youve made to get placements..and also the fact that you organise it yourself - thats very important cos its not the same if your school does it for you but your character will shine through if you can show that youre organised and reliable enough to sort stuff out for yourself.. just take every opportunity going and spend some time just working if you need to save up the cash - theyll completely understand and theyre not looking for you to starve yourself for this. they just want to see your drive and motivation which a gap year is perfect for doing. H x

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.